WAG Wrist issues (again)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mish

Proud Parent
Hi all. I was searching for best wrist supports, found all of the good info by @LGnyc, but didn't want to start writing on an old thread. My dd is going through her 3rd wrist injury in a year and I am trying to get the best wrist support. Too many to choose from, and has to be only on the wrist for beam. I have looked at all of the usual suspects, but has anyone 's dd ever used these?

http://www.ten-o.com/TENO-Hyper-Wrist-Support,964.html?b=d*15831

Her issue is with hyperextending. She has injured it 3 times all during the BWO-BHS series. The second time she also got a bone bruise. There is nothing on the xray after 2 weeks rest, and he is not recommending an MRI this time ( I may get a second opinion on that). She also has done PT and will be doing it again.

I'm not sure if the above listed support is too intrusive. One of the coaches recommended just a strip to go around the wrist. Has anyone used something like that, and was it successful in easing pain, providing support, etc.?

Thanks!!

My dd used tiger paws on beam (vault and floor). She has for several years after her wrist injury (overuse...yurchenko training). It takes a little time to get used to them, but she hasn’t had any issues with them being too bulky.

My daughter wears tiger paws. On beam, floor and vault. There have been no wrist complaints from her going on 2.5 years. Not concerned with how her coach feels. One injury was enough for me, her parent

She is a L7

I think on here I have read that some girls prefer something called Skidz (sp?) for beam - maybe someone whose daughter uses these will chime in.

My vote is for those tiger paws. My kid loves them and wouldn't dream of doing vault without them. And oh, yes, we are at one of those gyms that does the "proactive" vs "reactive" approach. Yes, I know all the different opinions on these. And no, I am not trying to start another wristguard world war. But my kid is damn tiny. Her teeny tiny wrists were not meant to be jammed into a vault table repeatedly without protection. So tiger paws it is. And while she does not wear them on beam, there are girls out there on her team who do, and because they already wear them for vault, they are fine.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! She will be using tiger paws on vault and floor. I should have been more specific, I am looking for something else for beam, as our gym doesn't have the girls use the tiger paws for beam. Looking for something as least intrusive as possible but will still get firm support around the wrist. I saw that Mueller one @gymgal, wasn't sure if it came too far up into the palm.

My son and many of his teammates use Skidz on horse; they don't interfere with circling on the leather (palms flat). My daughter has been happy with her simple Pegasus wrist guards for years. She uses them for floor, beam, and vault.

She is doing wrist-strengthening exercises, right? Adding those in were very helpful to my son when he had a period of wrist issues a few years ago. Rice bucket and theraband!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! She will be using tiger paws on vault and floor. I should have been more specific, I am looking for something else for beam, as our gym doesn't have the girls use the tiger paws for beam. Looking for something as least intrusive as possible but will still get firm support around the wrist. I saw that Mueller one @gymgal, wasn't sure if it came too far up into the palm.

We bought the ones you flagged and the Mueller and tried them all. The Ten-O didn't hold in place well (but then again, my dd has tiny wrists) and for beam she really doesn't like anything on her hands so the Mueller didn't work. She likes the Skidz far and away the best.

My kid used skids previously. She wasn’t a fan of dealing with 3 things. Grips, paws and skids.

If the coach was my kids parent, my kid wouldn’t be wearing paws for beam. Coach is not my kids parent though. And coach is now over it.

My kid used skids previously. She wasn’t a fan of dealing with 3 things. Grips, paws and skids.

If the coach was my kids parent, my kid wouldn’t be wearing paws for beam. Coach is not my kids parent though. And coach is now over it.

I forgot to mention - in case this helps. The wrist support my dd likes better than TP, the EZwrap, has a feature where there is a piece that goes on the palm for floor and vault and can be taken off for beam. Meaning if you want just one support and are willing to try switching, it's great one stop shopping. For whatever reason my dd liked Skidz just better.

dd uses the Muellers only for beam - tiger paws on fx/vt. She has used them for several years, starting around age 10/11 maybe? I can't remember right now. We had a hard time finding something that wouldn't go too far on her palm and these were perfect, but as others have said, they don't work for everyone. The piece that goes on the palm is very thin, unlike the tiger paws), but I am sure it does take a little time to get used to it.

Thanks, everyone! One more question. Has anyone used https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-513-...RJ&pd_rd_wg=SH4zC&refRID=ASHR59RZWYYNN6MHNW78

Such a long link, sorry. Not sure if small enough. Very tiny wrist

We didn't buy or try that one. Thing to notice - it doesn't do what the others do with elements that extend down the wrist onto the hand, which is limit the wrist flexion. So if the problem is significant (over)extension, this one won't work. But I don't know what the injury is or what her range of motion is or what hurts her. Only you and she can judge that. I know this kind of thing wouldn't work for any kind of "gymnast wrist" type problem.

My DD wears tiger paws on everything but bars.

I know you can do wrist exercises but I also know there is not really any muscle in the wrist. The muscles that flex the hand are in the forearm. This makes me wonder if the flex of an athletes wrist can actually be controled by exercise, atleast to a large degree. This thought has encouraged me to ask DD to wear her suports.

I used Tiger Paws - I didn’t like them on beam, but once I got used to them it wasn’t a big deal. But I was older and therefore bigger - Tiger Paws (and the EZPro which I also used and were good) are very boxy so I can see how that would be annoying on beam for a smaller gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back