WAG Xcel Bronze Beam - Adult

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Long time no chat CB! I've been busy with work and out of the country! After I returned I realized my teammates signed me up for a meet (xcel Bronze) in January. As an out of shape 31 year old I'm worried I won't have all the skills clean in a month.

For beam it states "One non-flight acro skill." What is the easiest thing that counts a non-flight acro skill? My cartwheel on beam is not consistent.

For the handstand to get credit at bronze, you just need to get the top leg to 45 degrees and bottom foot just has to leave the beam(by any amount), legs don't have to close together. Also a lever, like in the level 2 beam routine counts as an acro skill in bronze.

Also a lever, like in the level 2 beam routine counts as an acro skill in bronze.

I was going to do handstand but A LEVER COUNTS? Okay! I can do that no problem. So the only skill I'm missing to compete bronze is my back hip circle and also the fact this "old lady" is pretty inflexible so my leaps in my floor routine is gonna be pretty rough.

Thanks CB for your help (I might need some help again after I sort out my routines). Now I'm worried how I'm gonna fit into a leo...

I was going to do handstand but A LEVER COUNTS? Okay! I can do that no problem. So the only skill I'm missing to compete bronze is my back hip circle and also the fact this "old lady" is pretty inflexible so my leaps in my floor routine is gonna be pretty rough.

Thanks CB for your help (I might need some help again after I sort out my routines). Now I'm worried how I'm gonna fit into a leo...
The leap only has to be 60 degrees, and you get credit as long as you are within 20 degrees of the requirement(so 40), just lose a tenth or two in execution. As long as you can get both feet off the ground at the same time you are good. Been coaching then judging Xcel since the program began and pretty much the only time you see bronzes not get credit is when they trip going into their leap passage or have a brain fart and forget to do it entirely.

My brother is an out of shape 43 year old with NO flexibility and he has a leap that would count :)
A few different times, as his birthday present to our team gymnasts (his birthday... 39/40, 40/41, and 43 I think), he created his own floor routines. The first was a "Level 0" routine and the last two were Xcel Bronze. It is just something to show the girls it is ok to make mistakes and you just gotta laugh it off. ;)

In some styles, GK actually goes to a 4XL (43-46 chest, 34-37 waist, 44-46 hips, 69-71 torso OR 71-73 long torso). Long torso can also work if you would REALLY need a size up.
Alpha Factor goes to 3XL (41-43 chest, 33-35 waist, 42-44 hips, 70-72 torso).
Also, gymdigs.com can do ANY combination of measurements... they made one to fit me back when I was VERY FLUFFY and it fit (think 64-70-54 ... not my real measurements, but they could do a leo with those measurements). They can do it in a tank leotard, 3/4 or long sleeve leotard, tank biketard, or 3/4 or long sleeve biketard. Biketards are $4 more than leotards. 3/4 sleeve are $4 more than tanks, and Long sleeves are $5 more than tanks.
Custom sizing only costs $6 more than getting one of their standard sizes.
You can do their "Design your own" option to create a pretty ones using one of their basic designs in the colors and materials you choose.

Have fun!!! I would love to compete sometime but we don’t have adult competitions here :( (that I know of, anyway).

And good luck finding a leotard! I feel like finding ones which fit an adult shape might be a challenge.

Have fun!!! I would love to compete sometime but we don’t have adult competitions here :( (that I know of, anyway).

And good luck finding a leotard! I feel like finding ones which fit an adult shape might be a challenge.
Azara, there are no age limits on gymnastics competitions here in Australia, you could compete in regular events. There is also the masters games, which is for gymnasts over age 20.

Azara, there are no age limits on gymnastics competitions here in Australia, you could compete in regular events. There is also the masters games, which is for gymnasts over age 20.

I know there aren't technically age limits, but I don't really want to be at least twice as old as my competitors :) - perhaps our adult group will all get together sometime and enter something for fun, though.

I'm also not over 20 yet - 1 more year to go! Perhaps I will participate in the future, it looks like a lot of fun.

And yes, you are definitely allowed to wear matching leggings/shorts.

As for the original question - I don't know the Xcel code, but I imagine a bunny hop would probably count too.

There aren’t limits here either. We’ve seen competitors my age or older in Xcel and T&T comps.

Where I am, the barrier to adult competition is a lack of access to training. To my knowledge, the only adult class within a 60-mile radius is tumbling only, with very limited hours. An adult couldn’t even train with the regular Xcel team at my daughter’s gym due to explicit age restrictions.

Where I am, the barrier to adult competition is a lack of access to training. To my knowledge, the only adult class within a 60-mile radius is tumbling only, with very limited hours. An adult couldn’t even train with the regular Xcel team at my daughter’s gym due to explicit age restrictions.
In cases like that, you would have to convince the gym to change their minds... and be willing to sign any waivers they require.

I believe the age limit is written into their insurance policy.
Which is why it takes talking to them... they might be able to get a rider on the insurance if they know there is a "need" for adult classes OR just need adults to sign some type of waiver to keep insurance happy.
A lot of places that allow adults to do classes... the classes are open gym style - work on what you want... and not a lot of direct training... Even college club teams often don't get a lot of direct coaching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back