WAG Xcel gold requirements question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very cool that she can go at her own pace for the different skills. Just curious more than anything because I haven't seen a gold routine without a kip and I'm trying to visualize. Can you share the elements of her bar routine? Does your DD do a pullover on both the low and high bar? Is it something like pullover, cast, squat on, pullover, cast, tap swing, flyaway? I've only seen the kip on the high bar for our gold gymnasts, so I'm curious about the alternatives.
Yup. I'll double check w her that I didn't miss anything but that's basically it. She started working on the kip is earnest last June, got it for the first time in October, VERY spotty for a few weeks, then...GONE! For over 3 months! Just got it "back" last week literally. The next meet is in two weeks so maybe she'll compete it then? Whatever HC says!

Reactions: rsm
Our golds do pullover, cast, bhc, cast, squat on, long hang pullover, bhc, cast back flyaway. Once they can kip they will kip mount and long hang kip. If they don't have a flyaway they do the 1/2 turn tap dismount.

YG does pullover, cast, BHC, cast, non-standard climb, jump to high bar, swing forward and back, swing forward and back, 1/2 turn dismount.
We have a girl that does pullover, FHC, cast, cast squat on, jump, swing forward and back, swing forward and let go.
Another does pullover, cast, BHC, cast squat, jump to front support on high bar, BHC, Flyaway.

All they are required to do is 6 skills to include a cast to horizontal, a circling skill that isn't in the mount or dismount, and a dismount from the high bar.

Our gym does Xcel and JO for all our girls.

Can't speak to gold specifics as my girl is silver, she has just completed her L3 season, so they are all pretty much Level 4s now and up training.

Our gym for Xcel, pretty much goes with, do what you can do well and clean, as that will get points at this level. I don't know when difficulty credit starts as we are not there yet. So for example, all ours girls can do squat ons to the high bar yet they all stayed on the low bar at our meet on Sat, as did pretty much all the other teams.

Xcel doesn't have difficulty points.. It's all worth the same as long as it meets requirements.
Thanks.

Actually any level can have their own floor music and routines. Our girls start with their own music and routine at bronze. A lot of gyms keep the music and routine the same at bronze and silver as it is easier to practice.

If you do a search on Xcel Gold regional videos , you will see mostly Level 4 stuff.

Thanks.

Actually any level can have their own floor music and routines. Our girls start with their own music and routine at bronze. A lot of gyms keep the music and routine the same at bronze and silver as it is easier to practice.

If you do a search on Xcel Gold regional videos , you will see mostly Level 4 stuff.

Oh I know- our gym doesn't consider xcel team, so the girls would never have the compulsory music or routines. They also don't want to bother with individual routines, so here they don't start until platinum.

Thanks.

We have JO 3-7 and XLG & XLP at our gym currently (soon to have L8 most likely... if she wants to move up).
Some of our Golds compete mostly L4 stuff... others compete L3-L6 combination of skills.
Floor: Ranges from ROBHS and FHS-RO to ROBHSBT and FT, from basic jumps and leaps to a switch leap-Wolf jump 1/2.
Beam: HS and cartwheel to BWO and Dive Cartwheel, a simple leap and straight jump-straight jump to split jump-pike jump.
Bars: pullover to kip, underswing dismount to flyaway.
Vault: Handspring to 1/2 On-1/2 Off.

Again, I understand there is a wide variety of options, but from what I have seen at our level, and via video, for Gold it's more minimum. Again the theory being clean will you more points.

A search on last year's regional gold, the winners seem to be pretty much doing mostly level 4 skills, again, mostly.

Again, I understand there is a wide variety of options, but from what I have seen at our level, and via video, for Gold it's more minimum. Again the theory being clean will you more points.

A search on last year's regional gold, the winners seem to be pretty much doing mostly level 4 skills, again, mostly.
I agree, you definitely score better for cleaner easier routines. But for my DD, it's worth it to not worry about scores this year and get practice competing the tougher stuff, and hopefully that will translate to being a better optional gymnast. That's HCs plan at least!

Nobody is getting left behind, which makes me really happy! And I'm glad that our gym has this as a plan!
But won't the girls who don't score out of 5 need to go back and do that if they want to go back to JO the following year?

Thank you all!! I"m definitely learning a lot to share :)

But won't the girls who don't score out of 5 need to go back and do that if they want to go back to JO the following year?

I hadn't really thought about that, but I would guess that if they do Xcel next year, then they would learn the level 5 routines in time to score out in April, and then move up to 6 (or 7 if they've managed to get those skills) the following year. Or, score out of 5 this coming October, but if they aren't ready for 6, then do xcel while they work on 6/7 skills. Not totally positive. But I do know that our gym has done this before, so somehow it works out.

You just got me thinking, so I just looked up some girls from past years. And yes, 3 or 4 meets as xcel (well, the one I found was when they had xn and pn (prep?)) in January, February, March, then States. THEN our latest local meet in April they scored out of Old 6 and competed 7 the next year.

Somehow it will all work out :)
Truth be told, I do have my fingers crossed for DD to be able to score out of 5 in early october and be ready to compete 6 in the spring. She reported that last night she did 10 BWOs on beam, and 7 full turns. Not all in succession, but she did them :)
We have a bar clinic tonight for Level5 bars. Time will tell... but if the clear hip gives her as much trouble as the kip, I"m in for a long and bumpy ride!

Very cool that she can go at her own pace for the different skills. Just curious more than anything because I haven't seen a gold routine without a kip and I'm trying to visualize. Can you share the elements of her bar routine? Does your DD do a pullover on both the low and high bar? Is it something like pullover, cast, squat on, pullover, cast, tap swing, flyaway? I've only seen the kip on the high bar for our gold gymnasts, so I'm curious about the alternatives.
Ok she says : pullover, cast to just over horizontal, back hip circle, squat on, arch kick pullover, back hip circle, cast flyaway. Hope that makes sense! Her words :)

So (piggybacking on this thread) what skills would you say would be needed for Platinum?? Series on beam, layouts on floor, giants...? Higher skills? lower?

So (piggybacking on this thread) what skills would you say would be needed for Platinum?? Series on beam, layouts on floor, giants...? Higher skills? lower?
All they need is 6 A skills and 1 B. On bars they need a cast to horizontal or above, circling skill (so a back hip circle could work), a kip, and a dismount from HB. So kip-cast-clear hip-kip-squat on-kip-back hip-flyaway is what our Platinum does with a clear hip at horizontal. On beam they need a 1/1 turn, dance series, 120 split jump/leap, and an acro skill w/flight OR a series (bhs, cw-cw, bwo-bwo), and a dismount. Our platinum does 1/1 turn, bwo-bwo, split leap+straight jump+split jump(B), front pike dismount.
For floor she started the season with ro-bhs-layout but has since upgraded to layout 1/1, her 2nd pass is fhs-front tuck. 2 skill dance pass (switch leap-sissone). But really you wouldn't even need a layout, you just need a 2 directly connected skills with one being a salto (so back tuck would be fine, or fhs-front tuck) and a 2nd pass of 2 connected flight skills (fhs-fhs) or an isolated B salto (front pike/front layout).

Thank you all!! I"m definitely learning a lot to share :)

I hadn't really thought about that, but I would guess that if they do Xcel next year, then they would learn the level 5 routines in time to score out in April, and then move up to 6 (or 7 if they've managed to get those skills) the following year. Or, score out of 5 this coming October, but if they aren't ready for 6, then do xcel while they work on 6/7 skills. Not totally positive. But I do know that our gym has done this before, so somehow it works out.
If they can score out of 5 they should be able to do 6. I think the issue will be having the skills to score out of 5.

If they can score out of 5 they should be able to do 6. I think the issue will be having the skills to score out of 5.

Come to think of it, I think I misspoke. If they won't be ready to score out of 5 in October, they will be Xcel Gold for the year. Compete Xcel Gold, and work on Level 5/6/7 skills. Yeah, that makes more sense! LOL! I thought something didn't sound right about what I said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back