WAG Xcel Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that Prep Op (soon to become Xcell) is the fastest growing group at our gym. At the other private gym in town, they have a USAIG team, but it's totally separate from their JO team... different coaches, different practices, different meets. I think that there it is definitely looked down upon as being "lesser." At DD's gym, Prep Op is just part of the team. They practice fewer hours, and I think most of the girls in it are of the age when girls usually drop out of gym... that middle-school-ish age group. If what I see in our gym is the trend, then I can definitely see it growing bigger than JO, but I can also see it being a way that an increased number of kids who may have just quit stay involved in the sport. I like that my daughter has another option should the hours and rigor of JO get to be too much.

We have two Xcel groups at out gym, this was the first year that our gym started with a strictly prep op program for kids that were interested in team, but might not have wanted to commit fully towards the USAG program, meaning cost and/or hours. There were two girls in this group that competed as bronzes. One came from being a level 4 the previous season, and the other from the rec program, but is also a competative dancer.

Then there were the xcel gold girls, this was the second year that our gym bridged the gap between level 6 and 7 with girls competing as Xcel golds. This is where my daughter fell this winter season. She was level 7 ready on floor and vault, but not on bars or beam (no giants, or flight), so her floor routine was a level 7 routine (layout in back pass, FHS-front pike for front pass, 1 1 1/2 turn, switch leap), and her bars and beam meet the requirements for xcel gold. but no bonuses. She continued to train the hours that she would have trained if she made it to level 7. This was really a good plan for her, as she had a very successful season, medalling on every event at all four meets that she did, winning floor at every meet, two all around wins, and then a close second at the two other meets. She now is feeling more confident with herself and is very close to her giants, and round off, so level 7 should be in her future next season.

Our gym participates in Xcel for levels 3, 4 and Novice Optional. The level 4s are comprised of some girls on team that either haven't competed yet or didn't get a high enough score at our State meet in December to do the USAG level in spring. It works out well for our gym because it gives a lot of the level 4 team some meet experience.

The level 3s at our gym are just rec, along with the Novice Optional (although those are in an advanced class).

Our gym participated this spring in Xcel and USAG (level 4s w/ a qualifiying score) and level 5s.

I did notice this spring there were a lot of Xcel competitors here in Nebraska. I think it's a great alternative for those who can't/won't commit to team, are just in recreational or need the extra experience (team).

We are Region 8. Our gym uses this program for the few select girls they want to fast track. They are elementary age and doing a wide range of skills. I think it may give the coaches time to focus on big skills vs all the details of the compulsory levels. They are alreay working double backs, double fulls and RO fulls off beam.

We are Region 8. Our gym uses this program for the few select girls they want to fast track. They are elementary age and doing a wide range of skills. I think it may give the coaches time to focus on big skills vs all the details of the compulsory levels. They are alreay working double backs, double fulls and RO fulls off beam.

We are in Region 8 also, however Xcel is used completely different at our gym-it is for the girls that do not have the tight form, a specific needed skill for compulsory, or want to train less hours.
However, this creates a problem in going to meets- especially big meets with out of state gyms- these girls end up competing against girls who have been selected to fast track. It is very discouraging to them to then have to compete against girls who are even more talented than what they would find in the compulsory tract.

I wonder what the original intent of the program was. To compete against AAU? When my DD was 7, in our state all gyms started with AAU 3 or 4. Over the years, you started seeing gyms add USA 3 and 4. AAU still had AAU prep 2 and 3 which was the light hours/less polished answer to USA Optionals. Seems like USA wanted that income as well with the addition of Xcel. Just a thought.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back