WAG xcel to JO level comparison?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm realizing that the most advanced girls in x cel at our gym are doing skills that are maybe level 7 (if that) and I'm wondering if we need to make a switch now.

Would you switch and continue Xcel at perhaps a gym that pushes their Xcel athletes more? Or move to JO? I think a lot depends on your DD's age (sorry if I missed this). When my DD was <10, gym was her whole world. She was pretty good, picked up skills quickly, and I assumed she would stick with it for a long time -- certainly until high school. Fast forward, now at 11-12 (6th grade), skills start to come slower, she has other interests outside of gym. I say all this because it may seem that your DD will run out of room to grow at this point, but you never know what will change in the future. If your DD is a bit younger and you think she is going to stick with a gym a long time, maybe you should look at other options that will allow more growth. But if she is approaching those middle school years, you may be surprised that getting level 8/9/10 skills are no longer her goal. Also, keep in mind that Diamond level is not incredibly popular now, but it will likely become more popular as the Xcel program continues to grow all over the US.

At 14, she would be able to petition into L7 i she had those skills.

I now remember you mentioning this previously on this board. That's good to know -though I can imagine some JO programs not being too open to having someone transfer in from XP for various reasons. My DD isn't one of those naturally uber talented gymnasts that would lead a coach to make this sort of exceptions :)

Would you switch and continue Xcel at perhaps a gym that pushes their Xcel athletes more? Or move to JO? I think a lot depends on your DD's age (sorry if I missed this). When my DD was <10, gym was her whole world. She was pretty good, picked up skills quickly, and I assumed she would stick with it for a long time -- certainly until high school. Fast forward, now at 11-12 (6th grade), skills start to come slower, she has other interests outside of gym. I say all this because it may seem that your DD will run out of room to grow at this point, but you never know what will change in the future. If your DD is a bit younger and you think she is going to stick with a gym a long time, maybe you should look at other options that will allow more growth. But if she is approaching those middle school years, you may be surprised that getting level 8/9/10 skills are no longer her goal. Also, keep in mind that Diamond level is not incredibly popular now, but it will likely become more popular as the Xcel program continues to grow all over the US.

I think our x cel program is probably the most rigorous of x cel programs in our area. You make some really great points. My DD is 10. One reason I thought a move to x cel was a good idea is that we were moving gyms anyhow, and I figured it is more sustainable for the reasons you mention. Gym is still the center of her world, but you make a good point that it's not likely to stay this way as she heads towards middle school and beyond. Also, you make a good point that diamond will likely grow in popularity. We see very little of it around here but our gym is talking about adding it in the coming years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back