Parents yikes! Am I becoming a CGM!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebusymama

Proud Parent
My 7yo dd is training lvl 3. She recently came home from gym with an progress/ evaluation form. Her coach marked off the skills she has, she has with needed form improvement, she doesn't have. And she basically doesn't have any of her lvl 3 skills. I was hoping she would compete this fall lvl 3, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I told myself we would never do privates, but should I consider privates for her to get these skills

Fall is a long way off. My dd, as of may a year ago did not have a solid robhs, a mill circle, a fhc, the leg cut back after the mill circle, the beam dismount or hitting vertical on her handstand on beam. She had all of those by August and knew her new routines. I wouldn't worry at all at this point.

I don't know how your gym is set up but it is amazing how fast our girls pick up skills in the summer. I would just enjoy the end of the season (assuming you competed this winter) and let your little one have the time and space to get what she can get.

Thanks! I don't have time to watch her practices, so I don't really know her progress. I just assumed she would have more solid skills by now. Privates are expensive & was hoping to not do any atleast anytime soon. So hopefully she will get those skills by Aug. I guess we will find out eventually :). ote="2G1B, post: 285780, member: 13821"]Fall is a long way off. My dd, as of may a year ago did not have a solid robhs, a mill circle, arry at all at this point.[/quote]

don't know how your gym is set up but it is amazing how fast our girls pick up skills in the summer. I would just enjoy the end of the season (assuming you competed this winter) and let your little one have the time and space to get what she can

No we have not yet competed. This fall will be DD 1st competition if she has her skills. But you are right I just need to relax & let things happen :)[/quote]

I also have a 7yr old training L 3. She does not yet have a FHC, ROBHS on floor or a vertical HS or L3 beam dismount. She just finished competing L2. They are now practicing those skills for L3. We will find out in late May early June if she is ready for L3. We are at a new gym so not sure if the skills need to be there 100% by early summer or if they will count "almost there". Do you know when the next eval for your DD is?? Is there a specific criteria in your gym for moving to L3?? I would not do privates now since there is a lot of time before fall. Good luck to her.

Here next eval will be late May or early June. They had an eval at the beginning of Jan which placed her from pre team to Lvl3 group. Our gym has a lot of girls on all lvls & everyone progresses at a different rate so the coaches do evals every 9/10 weeks or so. The coaches announced that not every lvl 3 will be ready to compete this fall (as well as lvl 4, 5 & so on) so that means that some girls in lvl 4 group might repeat lvl 3 if they haven't mastered all lvl 4 skills by fall. Make sense? So since they will have a lot of girls competing in all lvls of compulsory then the girls have to have all the skills mastered for that lvl in order to compete that lvl. She REALLY wants to compete b/c her bff will be competing (she already has all lvl 3 skills). Us moms like so see our kids happy :)

If you are a cgm, then I am too! I do worry about everything under the sun besides gymnastics. :) my daughter will soon be 7 and is going from level 1 to 3 for next year. I have the same worry. When I picked my daughter up the other night, they were doing the handstand flat back vault, and hers looked so bad that I had to laugh. She's used to the level one vault. She also does not quite have a front hip circle. The gym doesn't seem worried bc I think they do figure they will come a long way over the summer. I think you (and I!) don't need to worry just yet unless the coaches say something to us.

Dd competed Lvl 3 this year. At this time last year she had a very ugly Robhs.

She got all her skills before fall and just got first AA at her last meet.

Have faith in the coaches the processes and your DD

I'm suffering through a similar situation.....AGAIN! The best thing to do (and hardest) is to just wait it out and see it through! Trying to read the coaches' minds will drive you insane. Relax and don't dive into the college find just yet! Dd finished up L5 last weekend, started her optional floor & beam routines this week and I'm about to go nuts trying to figure out if her coaches will take her L6 or L7......her routines are not answering my questions and I really need to take my own advice! ;)

Dd competed level 3 this year and has all of her skills....except her stupid dumb ridiculous front hip circle. We just go into every meet expecting a fall on bars. :( I can say though, when she moved to team in September, she didn't have any of the skills really, barely a roundoff, inconsistent pullover, etc. she's scored mid-high 8s most of the season.

Well, I'm totally in the same boat, fretting over where DD will or won't be placed in the fall. Summer is intense, and it really is great how much they learn then.

Well if you are I am :) All last summer it was "will the kip come in time for L4?" I probably was borderline CGM because I was letting it really get to me, though I hope I never let DD see it. It didn't come and she competed L3. Then it clicked 2 weeks after mid season move ups in January. Go figure. :confused:

DD was bummed to compete L3 because she had a hard time wrapping her mind around the fact that it was still moving up because of level changes. But she did have a successful year and if we can get her feet issues figured out than the plan is to score out of 4 and move onto L5.

But my goal in life this year is to not stress about it. It will be what it will be. Our gym is pretty good about letting girls move up if skills are "almost there" with the exception of the kip. No kip = no L4.

Just as a side note LAST January when we were competing old L3 I remember thinking that DD would never have a BHS because she wasn't even remotely close to it and that there was no way she would even get it over the summer. But she had it by May and is now one of the strongest tumblers in the gym in the compulsory levels. It really is amazing what they can accomplish in a matter of months!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm so glad I'm not the only one going through this (or has gone through this). Yes, I felt a little crazy wanting my 7 yo getting her lvl 3 skills. But I know she will get them - just like she finally got her pullover & handstand flatback, etc. But thank u all for sharing your frustrations/ worries. Knowing I'm not alone makes me feel normal - phew!

Set some goals with dd and talk to your coach about ways to accomplish them. If she gets one of the skills her confidence may give that added boost to knockout the other ones. Just make sure it's fun for her to learn and stay positive.

Summer is crazy with the changes you will see. I would give it time (though I am not against a private or two if you think it will boost confidence). My daughter switched gyms mid-season so is unable to compete the rest of this season. The coach told me the other day that she is in between a good level 3 season and possibly moving up to level 4. I almost wish I didn't know because now I sit watching her struggle to get her kip thinking about privates, but honestly, I will hold out until it gets much closer. I think the coach sensed my squirminess because she gave my daughter things to do at home to help her with the strength she lacks for the kip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back