Your experience with the strap bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Next Tuesday I'm going to be starting learning giants on the strap bar. I haven't used it before, but have seen people using it and know how it works and everything.

I'm really excited! It's just that the one thing making me somewhat nervous is the thought of losing control and being stuck on the bar because of the straps. Resulting in dislocated shoulders or something.

How likely is it that that would happen? The coach said to me that if one can do tap swings and a good handstand then one would be fine learning giants on the straps (I can do both of those things).

Thank you in advance!

Recent achievement: 4 rips at once! new photos uploaded to my gallery (not of the rips)

ahh the strap bar...its actually not that bad. and well... its kinda fun ;)
and well you sound like you'll do great doinng giants on the strap bar b/c since you can do good tap swings and a good handstand and thats what you basicly need for giants on the strap bar :)

and you probabily WILL NOT injury yourself:) b/c the chances of that are really really low especially if your coach it there to spot you. All you need to do it remember to stay tight and DO NOT bend your arms!!!

im sure you'll do fine, it'll take some getting use to and it might make your wrists a bit sore but its a really good way or learning giants. and the key to a good giant is a good tap swing!! and timing!!

good luck, i think you'll do awesomely:D!! and four rips:eek:, ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just stay tight and you will be fine! The strap bar can be a lot of fun, it can just hurt your wrists a little bit. The likelyhood of you losing control is very low! Good luck, I know you can do it!

I remember the first time I did a giant on straps. I would advise getting a spot foryour very first time. After that you should get the feel for giants, and be able to work them on yor own. If you should go out of control, the girls at our gym straddle when the get to the top, it always seems to slow them down. Good luck!:)

Just work up to what your comfortable with. Remember you're strapped in, so if you're falling down back first, you just swing down. Don't try to twist. You may want to practice going forwards first, if your tap swings start getting high enough - i.e. when you're swinging up to your hollow in the back, if you're getting up to handstand, try to go over that way, just to practice, then move to back giants.

Really as long as you push down when you're on the bar in support and don't try to twist, you should be fine (assuming you're using proper equipment). If you have some newer, thicker wristbands you might want to bring them along because the straps can rub on your wrists otherwise. But I think that might be somewhat inevitable, because whenever I use strap bar I always get sort of broken blood vessel things from where the strap was. It doesn't really hurt, it just looks kind of bad.

yep to the other posters.

keep tight. keep straight. no twisting. did i say no twisting? and don't panic if you get 'stuck' a bit on top. just keep pushing and you'll pendulum back the other way. and if you over the wrong way? no big deal. don't panic. keep going. best way? both directions several times in the same turn.:)

DD's wrists got kind of torn up at first. Her coach recommended neoprene wrist bands and those really made a big difference. We bought hers at Ten-O. I think they were called Rip Busters.

Edit: Yep, here's the link: g924rb rip busters

I agree, you have to wear wrist bands on the strap bar. My dd wears them but still gets a little sore around her wrist. They'll probably just have you do tap swings to get the feel for it. Your coach should definitely be there to spot you, too, though you won't fall but I'm sure it's scary the first time. Good luck and have fun with it. You'll get your giant before you know it!

Well, the strap bar is one of, if not the, safest way to practice giants. As long as you stay tight at the top and don't have much of a shoulder angle, you'll do just fine.

Thanks thanks thanks all! Today's the big day... exciting stuff. If anything amazing happens I will give an update! :)

Strap bar is the best invention for bars ever. I have seen people do a quarter turn while in handstand and not be hurt, but whatever you do, don't. You will be fine, when I was little I HATED the strap bar with a passion, because of strap sizing and being scared, but now it's probably the one of the safest ways to learn giants for the first time. Have fun strappin! :)

So how'd it go today, Megz?

I agree, you have to wear wrist bands on the strap bar.
I'm not sure why, but doing straps without wristbands never bothered me.

And speaking of wrist bands, I preferred cutting up old sports socks. Worked just as well for me.

Straps are definitely an easy area to learn giants and get lots of repetition in on just doing tap swings. Also kips, toe-ons, stalders, clear-hips, taps for releases and dismounts...

I finally got some wool gloves (only $1.99!) to create an additional strap bar station, using the men's high bar for those who can already do their giants on the pvc strap bar, but do not have their giants on the regular bar, yet.

I'm so bummed! :(

There was this new girl there today so the coach forgot about giants and spent the time assessing her skill level. Sigh! Maybe on Thursday! I was so excited too. Oh well, other cool stuff happened so it's okay I guess. I will give an update as soon as I give the strap bar a go though! :D

Personally I dont like the strap bar.:/I think it is a great idea to help get giants or the feeling but it is just SOOO dang painfull!!AT my gym you have to be straped in really tight,to the point where you can feel your hands!But our gym is quite small and the counter is right behind the strap bar....So I guess it's a good thing so we dont fly out.But I do think it is alot of fun and not very much work compared to giants on the uneven parallel bars:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back