Your Gym's Philosophy on Repeating Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We like our kids to show success at their current level before moving on. Success doesn't neccessarily mean first place, but we do expect them to be placing at their competitions.

They need to be able to get the skills for the next level competition ready. For the most part, they need all four events, unless we have some other compelling reason. But there are more factors, age (we are not trying to move kids through to elite so for us if we have a really young kid it doesn't always make sense to be moving them), maturity, competitive experience, fear level or apprehension that might cause setbacks if they're pushed too hard, etc. A lot goes into it. Sometimes decisions might be wrong, and I think parents deserve some input. But ultimately some people and gyms won't be in agreement. I know a girl who could have moved to 6 but repeated level 5 due largely to age (very young) and she moved on through optionals and there was no long term harm, though at the time they initially weren't happy, however the coaches convinced them, that for many reasons socially and experience wise, she would do better in the level 5 group. And ultimately the coaches were correct about that. In the end the "boredom" argument is how you manage it. It's possible for the kids to repeat a level, even when they have the skills, and still be happy and progressing at gymnastics, even in smaller ways that are less obvious.

Our girls have to show skill and mental readiness. We don't look at the scores so much as "can they do the skills? Will they be holding their own?" particularly in compulsory levels (we have a few girls who will be good optionals, but oh, do the one-size-fits-few routines not exactly suit them.). We want them to be successful and still enjoy it & have good technique, but RARELY would we have a girl do more than one year at 4 or 1 or 2 years at 5 or 6.

Our girls must have a 36.00AA in levels 4-6 and a 35.00AA in optionals at a USAG sanctioned meet in order to move up to the next level. They must finish the season and compete in the state meet at their current level before they move up.

Our "preteam" (levels 1-3) also must get a 36.00AA but these gymnasts only compete in "in house" meets.

Our TOPS team girls are allowed to skip levels depending on skills and age but must still score the required AA score to advance out of their current level.

Our gym straight out tells you to expect to spend 2 years at a level. That being said, not everyone fits that mold. In order to move up, you have to have qualified for state in the previous year and have a certain percentage of the next level skills.

Way back when, there was the mandate that existed throughout YMCAs (at least in WI). There was a certain score for each level where if you made it 3 times during the season, you absolutely had to move up. And our gym rarely moved up girls who didn't mandate. I liked it because it made things a lot easier to understand. I don't remember all of the scores but I know level 4 was a 35 3 times. Once they got rid of the mandate, moving up standards became much more ambiguous and you saw a lot of gyms holding girls back to do better.

They need to have the skills for the next level and be ready emotionally--if they have the skills, but aren't mentally ready, they don't get moved up--so they do take parental input that way. Parents don't get to say their daughter gets moved up, when she doesn't have the skills though. I know we have conferences in the spring--coach, parents & gymnast to talk about goals for the next year and what the level they plan to compete. They didn't used to do that, so I like having that contact!

I know a lot of gyms that will hold girls back so they can make a large jump, the most popular jump is from level 5 to level 8 or 9 depending on how many years the girl has been held back. they will train them higher level skills from the time they are in level 4...one girl at my level 5 achievement state was doing back handspring layout step outs on a line and she was a level 4 she was 7 and she moved to level 7 the next year. I personally dont see the point in that but thats just my opinion.

I know a lot of gyms that will hold girls back so they can make a large jump, the most popular jump is from level 5 to level 8 or 9 depending on how many years the girl has been held back. they will train them higher level skills from the time they are in level 4...one girl at my level 5 achievement state was doing back handspring layout step outs on a line and she was a level 4 she was 7 and she moved to level 7 the next year. I personally dont see the point in that but thats just my opinion.

Yeah, I can't really work up that much outrage, but I've seen things like this and I kind of keep it in perspective. I mean, I could compete L4 right now and score pretty well too ;) Ultimately USAG is structured so as to allow this if that's the progression path chosen so I don't really care, but I also don't always "get" it. I'm more or less to each their own but I've seen some baffling choices. Mostly though, I am concerned about the stress that what is required to train these skills from so young, can be too much on growing bodies, cumulatively. It just seems like there's a big correlation. When you get to high school the girls who started older and moved up quickly unquestionably just have less injuries than the others. I did gymnastics through my senior year and honestly had no signficant overuse injuries. Then again I started L4 at 11 - many of the girls I was in a group with in high school were already L7s that year. It's certainly something I think we need to be aware of.

We have no problems with repeating a level. Its so common that we don't even think of it as repeating a level, there is no ideal set time to spend on a level its just you move up when you are ready. Often kids struggle from level 4 to 5 as there are so many big changes like full handspring vault, kips, full 180 split leaps and jumps on beam, full turn on beam, cartwheel or walkover on beam, front tuck beam dismount, back extension to handstand on floor, handsprings and flics. Its a lot to get in 1 year.

Our girls have to show skill and mental readiness. We don't look at the scores so much as "can they do the skills? Will they be holding their own?" particularly in compulsory levels (we have a few girls who will be good optionals, but oh, do the one-size-fits-few routines not exactly suit them.). We want them to be successful and still enjoy it & have good technique, but RARELY would we have a girl do more than one year at 4 or 1 or 2 years at 5 or 6.

This is one of the reasons we stopped doing compulsories. This way we can base it on skill level and the kid's willingness to work at the next level. I don't think basing levels on scores is beneficial to the kids. It may make the gym and the coach look good but I'm not sure I like the long term effects on the gymnasts.

CoachGoofy, I think you nailed my DD on the head. She does ok in complulsory, she is L4 and finished 9th (of 21) at States with a 35.950 this past weekend. I think she did great, don't get me wrong !! But she is a 'ham' and loves to uptrain more than perfect where her hands should be etc. I think IF she sticks with it she will do better in optionals. Our gym actually does compulsory in the fall and prep op in the spring, and she loves having her own routine & music.

At our gym they must have all the required skills for the next level, and have proper attitude ( not too much goofing off, listens to corrections & at least attempts to make them) to move up. Maturity also plays I think. We have had several repeat L4 due to lack of their Kip, some repeat L5 ( fear of fly away ). I have not seen any held back so that we have girls on the podium.

I know a girl who could have moved to 6 but repeated level 5 due largely to age (very young) and she moved on through optionals and there was no long term harm, though at the time they initially weren't happy, however the coaches convinced them, that for many reasons socially and experience wise, she would do better in the level 5 group. And ultimately the coaches were correct about that.

This describes the situation my dd is in exactly. I hope it works out as well in the long run.

Meg

This describes the situation my dd is in exactly. I hope it works out as well in the long run.

Meg

Saw your dd's excellent routines. Have known many good optionals from your gym. Also doing high school gymnastics. Great program. Would not be surprised if it works out. Hopes she gets the chance to do some 6 and I know it is tough for them to repeat, don't get me wrong, but they are often okay. Especially at these ages. it is nice for the little ones to be with other little ones - and do little kid stuff that is fun. I know the grass can seem greener but sometimes when these kids are together 15+ hours a week, it is really not more fun for the little kids to be with a lot of older kids.

I see one and only one reason for a kid to take the fast track ... to get to elite or beyond (assuming ability is a given). For everyone else, my observation tells me that a gymnast should take as much/little time as possible at the current level until (and only until) she's (close to) completely ready (which includes maturity). This also ensures a good foundation before competing at a higher level.

36AA in L5/6? :eek:

I like for my kids to feel and have success at whatever they are competing. It sort of depends on the kid. Does the kid have any shot at collegiate, talent for elite, or is merely for the entertainment and their physical develppment?

Required skills and dedication.

Team trophies are fun but holding kids back to pad the numbers. Sometimes these gyms only have X amount of spots on the higher levels or stringest standards.

At our gym, almost everyone gets moved up after a year unless they are seriously missing like half their skills lol. Partly why we don't usually place all that well at meets; we are an uptraining gym.

This year though I think the coaches got POed at how sloppy everyone was getting, and almost everyone is being held back at least until new years. :confused: Mainly it's the large level 6 team who are being held; a lot of them were struggling with level 6 as it was and just couldn't get the skills in time. The level 4 and 5s are also being held though I think they're allowed to come to higher level practices so they can move up soon. The optionals are moving up though; I think a lot of them already did two years at their level. It's all pretty confusing... But everyone is scoring higher, which is nice. :eek:

Repeating a level

I am at a small gym. My main coach was out most of last season-2008-2009 due to surgery. We had several part time coaches but never consistant training. I am repeating last years level. I have the skills at that level but not all the skills at the next level. Plus I didn't have the skills perfectly including all the minor details. So, I am competiting one level and training for the next. And we have started a gymnastics dance class to help all of us. I think sometimes there are circumstances that can't be helped. ;)

I don't think our gym has a philosophy on repeating levels. From what I see it is based on case by case basis. I also know that it depends on available spots for a certain level. There were girls last year that should have been competing level 3 that were not asked but there were also girls that skipped multiple levels (level 5 to level9) My daughter is 4 and she is repeating the same class she did last year but I am fine with that. She needs to be where she is for maturity reasons. One of the coaches approached me and brought up switching her up to a higher level but commented that she wasn't quite mature enough. She thought I would be upset because clearly her skill level is way beyond her class. I had to kind of chuckle because I totally agree with the coach. Let's just say she was shocked and relieved. She can't compete level 4 anyway until she is 6. It is great though because she has 80% of her skills for that level already.
What I want to know is what to say to the people that constantly ask me why she is not moving up? It gets really old. If I am not worried about it and my 4 year old doesn't have a clue, I don't see why it is a problem.

I wouldn't exactly say that at my gym we have people with 35's, 6's, and 7's. The best score I got in level 6 AA was a 34.375. By most gym standards, I probably would have been kept back. Except for the fact that I am 10 times better at level 7 skills then level 6. I never exactly got the two front-handsprings or long hang pullovers, but giants and front-handspring fronts are my two easiest skills. Also, one of my friends from another gym got 3rd place AA at states in level 6 with a 36, but stayed back because level 7 skills just didn't "click" with her. It all depends on the gymnast's attitude, effort, fear, and skill percentage.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back