WAG Yurchenko Vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymmieC

Proud Parent
I am just trying to understand. Is there a direct connection between the handspring vault and the Yurchenko vault? In other words the only way a kid will have a dynamic yurchenko vault is if they have an equally dynamic handspring vault.
I have heard conflicting ideas and I am just trying to put things in perspective.
I have seen some really good yurchenko vaults from kids whose handspring was just not as good. Coaches what do you say?

I am assuming you mean front handspring vault vs. just the roundoff handspring part of the yurchenko . As both a former gymnast who has competed both handspring and yurchenko vaults, and also as a coach a front handspring vault and a yurchenko are COMPLETELY different things and require totally different techniques.

I hope this helps!

Yurchenko-technique.
Handspring/Tsuks-power.
Not saying a Yurchenko doesn't require power, but forward entry vaults take much more. You need a very strong block.

I am assuming you mean front handspring vault vs. just the roundoff handspring part of the yurchenko . As both a former gymnast who has competed both handspring and yurchenko vaults, and also as a coach a front handspring vault and a yurchenko are COMPLETELY different things and require totally different techniques.

I hope this helps!
Yes, this really helps. Thank you. I thought the same thing. Why would a coach think that in order to have a good yurchenko the kid must first show/do a dynamic handspring vault? It makes very little sense to me.

Yes, this really helps. Thank you. I thought the same thing. Why would a coach think that in order to have a good yurchenko the kid must first show/do a dynamic handspring vault? It makes very little sense to me.

I guess it depends on the coach and the program and all that. I was from a non-USAG gym so we didn't have certain progressions to follow (I don't know exactly how it works for USAG). But we learned front handsprings and front handspring twisting (usually at least a full) and that was our base but we also did a lot of yurchenko drills on the side. Even the people who tsuked had to do yurchenko drills. So while we were getting the yurchenko down, we still had a vault to use for competition until we could compete them. So I wouldn't say you have to do a dynamic handspring vault, but its always good to have something to fall back on if things get rough with the yurchenko. I hope that what I am trying to say makes sense.

I guess it depends on the coach and the program and all that. I was from a non-USAG gym so we didn't have certain progressions to follow (I don't know exactly how it works for USAG). But we learned front handsprings and front handspring twisting (usually at least a full) and that was our base but we also did a lot of yurchenko drills on the side. Even the people who tsuked had to do yurchenko drills. So while we were getting the yurchenko down, we still had a vault to use for competition until we could compete them. So I wouldn't say you have to do a dynamic handspring vault, but its always good to have something to fall back on if things get rough with the yurchenko. I hope that what I am trying to say makes sense.
You make total sense. And I thought this was the plan. But since meets season started all yurchenko training stopped and all she hears is " do a great front handspring,". She isn't even given a chance to practice the yurchenko. She has the entry and wasn't allowed to flip it ever...now all but two have their yurchenko. These two arent allowed to do it. Coaches keep telling them no...do the hs...DD and her friend don't understand why they can't even train it at practice. I can get the " If its not safe , we cant let them do it." But how can that be the case when they wont let them even practice it? My DD is not afraid of it. She really wants to do it.

As a level 5 her fhs scored at high a 9.55 and at 7 she scored around a 9.35. At now 8 she scored highest 8.55 out of a 9 sv...She only did one level 6 meet...i don't understand...

How long does her group spend on vault? I know when I am coaching and only have a limited amount of time I like to guarantee that the kids get in their routines and then if there is time, they can work skills. However if it is a major skill, then usually try to wait until the season is over to work on it because there are more important things to focus on. But in the case of the front handspring I am sure having it down isn't really a problem so I'm not exactly sure what the thought process is there... Another question is have you asked the coach about it? I know my mom talks to my sister's coach on a fairly regular basis about the skills she's working... For example, my sister had a tumbling pass last season that she lost over the summer. My sister would come home frustrated because they would only spend time working on what was currently in their routines rather than working on new passes. My mom talked to one of the coaches and just said "Oh she really wants to get this. Is there any way she can have some time to work on it?". There's no harm in asking about it.

My DD is in a similar situation. She has never had a great FHS vault, but new coaches wanted her to learn a Tsuk. We knew that would be tough with her so-so FHS. plus, DD would much rather learn and work the Yurchenko. She has been working Yurchenko drills for the past couple of years and was really motivated over the summer. However, she did try really hard to get her Tsuk, but we don't have a pit, so she was never allowed to flip it unless they worked out at a nearby gym (only happened a few times). Now she is competing a twisting vault, which is OK (she's actually been competing and working them for a couple years under former coaches) but is frustrated that she never got to really train the Yurchenko. And, all Tsuk training stopped when comps started. We trust our coaches to make the decisions, but it's still hard for a teenage brain to understand.

How long does her group spend on vault? I know when I am coaching and only have a limited amount of time I like to guarantee that the kids get in their routines and then if there is time, they can work skills. However if it is a major skill, then usually try to wait until the season is over to work on it because there are more important things to focus on. But in the case of the front handspring I am sure having it down isn't really a problem so I'm not exactly sure what the thought process is there... Another question is have you asked the coach about it? I know my mom talks to my sister's coach on a fairly regular basis about the skills she's working... For example, my sister had a tumbling pass last season that she lost over the summer. My sister would come home frustrated because they would only spend time working on what was currently in their routines rather than working on new passes. My mom talked to one of the coaches and just said "Oh she really wants to get this. Is there any way she can have some time to work on it?". There's no harm in asking about it.
They only vault two days a week for about 45 mins....

Seems odd to not let them train the yurchenko if they are already level 8s. Do any level 8s compete it? My DD was flipping vaults (tsuks) before her level 7 season in practice...she hasn't done any for a long time, but it is meet season, so I'm assuming that will pick up again right after meet season is over. But, they don't need this till next season.

Also, your DD's scores on the FHS are good - I'm not sure what she would need to be scoring for them to consider it a solid FHS. ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back