Does anyone else get sick after using a foam pit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I don't know if it is just a strange coincidence or if there is an actual reason but every single time we use the foam pit to train I end up with a respitory illness, mostly just colds, but this last one was bad after 3.5 weeks I am still recovering and have a sinus infection and a bad cough that won't go away. (I am not looking for medical advice, I have seen a doc.)

Our pit is old, the foam is crusty and particles get in every orfice. I am just curious if this happens to anyone else? I kind of wonder since we have all the pre school kids and rec. kids jump in every class if they don't have infections that get on the foam that are then inhaled later by me. It is getting to the point that I don't even want to use the pit to train. So what do you think am I over thinking it or could it be tangible?

I think a better question is do others get sick that use your foam pit? we clean out or pits 3 or 4 times per year-and spay the foam with lysol and leave it out to air over night-but I think very few clubs do this.

Hmm I actually don't really know. For some reason our foam pit mostly gets used for little kids to have fun in, rather than gymnasts to train in. The optional level girls use in when learning there giants and we use it off a mini tramp to lean harder flips. It is hard to gauge as in a pre school class there are bound to always be a couple of them sick, so I can't really say they got it from the pit or they got it at pre school. I have been there 3 years and we have never once cleaned out the pit. The only time a few blocks got lysoled was when a little one pooped while in there.

One word, yuck! The fact that they only lysoled a "few blocks" after an accident in there has my skin crawling. I would avoid that thing at all costs if I were you, at least until they replace the foam or take all the blocks out and do a serious deep cleaning of the entire pit. Pits are creepy enough when they are periodically cleaned, it wouldn't surprise me if you could pick something up.

My did doesn't get "sick", but she does come home with little red bumps all over her skin.... mostly her face, chest and back. The girls call it "pititis." It's a new gym, and the foam is only 9 months old... so I think it may be more of an allergic reaction than something caused by germs....

I would definitely say you're picking up gunk from the foam. Just reading your post makes my skin crawl! If your owners can't afford to buy new foam, maybe you could suggest to them it's time for a group cleanout!!! At my DD's old gym, all the girls would "toss the pit" (throw all the foam out), and they would let it air dry.. they def. did NOT Lysol it, but that's a great idea!

I am probably biased by being newly diagnosed allergic to everything, but I would take something you can tolerate that your parent and/or doctor recommend like Zyrtec or similar before a pit workout and see if the same thing happens.

I used to have chronic, all the flipping time, sinus attacks and infections triggered by respiratory illness (I thought) -- but you know gosh darn it, the ENT tested me and I am allergic to everything except cats. I am in line to start desensitizing drops, but meanwhile I have been on Zytec for about six weeks and surprisingly, haven't had any sinus pain or that weird drainage. I do have breakthrough hay fever but not that horrible crap back there.

Sounds like your gym needs to do some "serious" deep cleaning...that pit is a growth pot for mold, etc. and the sponge needs to be taken out, the pit cleaned out, and occasionally the sponge needs to be replaced. If your gym is not doing this, then it is not what I would consider to be a place I'd want my children to go.

I would think that dust from crumbling foam, or possibly moisture at the bottom of the pit that could cause mold would be a bigger issue. I am not a particularly allergic person so it doesn't bother me, but usually ours seem clean enough (foam is not crumbling so the dust is mostly minimal). I have never been to a gym that sprays the foam with lysol, kind of a toss up to me between germs and the constant chemical exposure on everything anyway. We clean other surfaces and I think the gym is very clean in general. Probably wouldn't be an issue with older foam but it's possible that chemicals on newer foam being released could cause a reaction in some people.

Our pit and gym are brand new, and one of the first times my dd was in it, she broke out in a rash that was painful. It went away directly after she showered. now we encourage her to get out of the pit as quickly as possible (They were playing in it since it was brand new and she was in there for awhile when the break out occurred) so yes, it is quite possible that something on the foam is causing you to react.

Our coaches have the team kids completely empty the pit, check for things in the bottom, and refill it every friday during the last 1/2 hour of workout. The kids think its great fun, but it really wears them out. Part conditioning, part gym maintenance, lol!!

Obviously pits are made of foam, foam acts like a sponge and anything that is liquid will be somewhat absorbed by the blocks (i.e. sweat). Germs can be transferred this way so it is probably not coincidence at all. If the foam is old it might be time to replace the pit or disinfect the blocks.

I havent noticed my DD getting sick after being in the pit..or even having a skin reaction. But I can always tell when she has been in the pit, because she will have little blue pieces in her hair. Is this normal..do they all do this a little bit? Its not bad, its like one or two pieces..but I always know when she has been in there. The blocks are clearly "not new"..but dont appear to be in bad shape. Just wondering if they all "shed" a little..or if its getting close to time to replace them? Maybe something I can mention in the next parents club meeting.

Its definitely time to clean out the pit. We dig out our pit to fluff it and look for things at the bottom fairly often and we don't really have any problems except for a few girls with asthma. We also get new foam every 2 to 3 years (about a year and a half ago we got some new foam and gave some not to old cubes to a gym that was just getting a pit :D). Pit foam does grow mold so you may be having a reaction to that or some other germ that's getting trapped in there.
I would definitely talk to your gym owner about replacing the pit or at least cleaning it out. Getting new foam will be expensive I believe that it is probably better in the long run.

Our pit is kept clean, even our old one before we switched buildings. But I still got sick. The doctors said it was mostly from the chalk and possibly put dust getting in my ears which are sesspools of infection! My inner ears aren't normal, and my ear rubes aren't angled like an adults for straight horizontal like a kid. I get ear infections as much as 2 year olds! No one else got sick from it though.

OUr gym emptys the pit several times a year. usually over the vacation weeks when they are closed the optional girls are invited to come and help that week then they get a pizza party that day for helping.

all the blocks are removed and layed out we actually seprate the wet one from the bottom. The condensation that happens makes the blocks really damp and if its been an exceptionally hot time they can actually be wet. the wet or damp ones are removed and not put back in. they go to the trash. The old and crumbly ones also are removed. The walls of the pit are washed along with the tramp at the bottom of the pit.

the worst think is under the tramp at the bottom. that grosses me out the most there is always a few dead mice. Also at the bottom you will fine hair ties, scrunchies, used bandaids and just about anything that can fall off a gymnast.

the remaining blocks are aired out for the week and then put back into the pit. Once the old foam settles new blocks are added.
We just did this last week of Aug and it is just so gross to clean. Now the packs of new blocks arrived and the bundles are everywhere in the gym waiting for the old foam to settle. Probably next week they will be added.

No diaper aged kids are doing gym at our gym so we don't have diaper or poop issues with the foam but there have been a few throwups after a b-day party with too much to eat.

At least its better than the public ball pits and those habitrails for kids at places like Chuckie Cheesse. Those are never really cleaned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back