WAG Anyone ever seen a 10.0?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd saw Alex McMurtry get a 10.0 on vault a few years ago. She said their mouths were just hanging open, and they heard the judges joking that it deserved an 11!

Were we at the same meet? Lol. I saw it, COTC I think about 5 years ago. I have also seen Rachael Lukacs vault a 10.0, twice!

you compete and are a judge ?

Yep. And a recreational coach too! This is common where I live. Very small tight-knit area. The side judges such as myself (for compulsory anyway) are often older gymnasts. All the coaches at the gym I attend are expected to have the basic judging course.

Gym is much more relaxed around here, and since the community is small, a lot of people end up being a "jack of all trades".

Yep. And a coach too! This is common where I live. Very small tight-knit area. The side judges such as myself (for compulsory anyway) are often older gymnasts. All the coaches at the gym I attend are expected to have the basic judging course.
I'm confused where you got a ten on vault this past weekend? level 7+ is finished besides nationals.

We saw one on beam in level 7. It was very exciting. Until we found out she had won the AA in level 8 the day before in the same meet. Not as sweet a victory in my mind.
Wait........how can a gymnast complete (and win) level 8 States one day and then compete level 7 the following day? I don't get that at all.
Agree, that victory is far from sweet.

Wait........how can a gymnast complete (and win) level 8 States one day and then compete level 7 the following day? I don't get that at all.
Agree, that victory is far from sweet.

The one I witnessed was a regular season meet (before the drop back date). A gymnast can fluctuate back and forth between the level she competed last season and the new level until the drop back date. As to the purpose.....the meet I was at had a large cash prize for super team (highest scoring team out of all levels)......so that coach was stacking decks in order to win the money.

The one I witnessed was a regular season meet (before the drop back date). A gymnast can fluctuate back and forth between the level she competed last season and the new level until the drop back date. As to the purpose.....the meet I was at had a large cash prize for super team (highest scoring team out of all levels)......so that coach was stacking decks in order to win the money.
Yuck soup. Bleah.

Earlier this year, one of DS's optional teammates got a higher score on his high bar routine than his start value. We're still not sure what happened there, lol.

Then there was last year at regionals where the L6 pbars judge was giving out 12.5s (max score 12.2) because he screwed up the bonus . . . The crowd reaction was more consternation than celebration.
Don't Optional boys have a stuck landing bonus above and beyond the SV? Could that have been it?

I have seen 3 at UCLA, 2 beam (same person) and 1 floor. I also saw a 9.95 on beam at L4.

speaking of which -- 10s, 9.95, 9.9 etc seems much more common in college. Is the judging a lot easier or are the routines easier (compared to what the high level 10s/elite were competing in club) and more polished in college? in other words, would the same college routine still get those really high scores at the club level?

speaking of which -- 10s, 9.95, 9.9 etc seems much more common in college. Is the judging a lot easier or are the routines easier (compared to what the high level 10s/elite were competing in club) and more polished in college? in other words, would the same college routine still get those really high scores at the club level?

Both. Those college routines are polished and many would score high at the club level: 9.6s, 9.7s, maybe higher. Judging is also different. The joke is that if you judge college, you take 1/2 what you would normally take. Some skill values and compositional requirements are different. A missed special requirement is also only 0.2 in NCAA (0.5 in JO).

Don't Optional boys have a stuck landing bonus above and beyond the SV? Could that have been it?

For all L6 routines except vault, scores work like this:

base score 10.0
three specified bonus skills that may be added to base routines .5 each
virtuosity (specified) .3
virtuosity (unspecified) .2
stick .2

By my math, a 12.5 is not possible.

I've seen a 10.0 in level 3 and level 4 floor for YMCA. I've seen 3 (?) 10.0 level 3 vaults at USAG states. 1 10.0 level 7 bar routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back