Parents Back facing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flgymmom

Proud Parent
When we were at our meet this weekend... we noticed one team would all stand with their backs facing the girl that was currently competing. They did this will all competitors (including their own) and on all events.

I hadn't seen this before and wanted to know if you have seen this or if your team does this ?

What exactly is the reasoning for it ?

We jokingly call those the robot gyms. I think it is supposed to be to help them focus on their routine and not be affected by say, a fall or something from another girl. I think it is unsupportive of teammates and it always creeps me out a bit. It doesn't bother me when it is just right before a girl is up and they take a minute to focus, but when they do it the whole meet, just seems silly.

My DD has been a part of a team that did this, but usually only on beam. The coach thought that a fall on beam would affect the other gymnasts and cause them to fall. Not sure if it really helped to not watch the other girls, but it never really bothered the girls. Maybe because they knew the reasoning behind it. Our girls usually just put their heads down and didn't actually stand with their back to the girl competing, however.

We jokingly call those the robot gyms. I think it is supposed to be to help them focus on their routine and not be affected by say, a fall or something from another girl. I think it is unsupportive of teammates and it always creeps me out a bit. It doesn't bother me when it is just right before a girl is up and they take a minute to focus, but when they do it the whole meet, just seems silly.

Yeah we thought it was weird hahaha

I've seen another gym do this and parents and our gymnasts all thought it was weird. Sure, it might be unnerving to see your teammate fall on beam, but the gymnast who falls always tells her teammates when she comes back to the group or they can tell by her body language anyway.

It's weird to sit with their backs to them but I do understand why they wouldn't want to watch previous gymnasts. My dd is 7yo and last season she did 3 meets. She did great on floor and placed first at the first two meets. Now she was new to competing and was socializing and playing with friends while waiting her turn so not really watching the other competitors. At her last meet she was watching the other competitors every move, when it was her turn she completely forgot the end part of her routine that she knew by heart..... I will be suggesting she not watch her friends/competitors this season.

Our old gym did this a couple of times on beam. It was just really weird to watch. They still knew when a teammate fell so I don't think it did anything to help them focus more.

I've never been at a meet where this happened but I would find it puzzling. Someone mentioned that it felt like a lack of support and I think that is my overall reaction to it (having never personally experienced it). As much as I find it distracting when a team co-performs a routine during competition, at least that is showing camaraderie and support. The back turning thing feels apathetic and uncaring about what your teammate is going through.....even if that isn't the intent.

some coaches have this superstitious notion that if their athletes watch other kids fall, then too will their kids fall. just bizarre.

i don't know how all those Olympic and World Championship medals are won. maybe they were seeing impaired...:)

There's a big name gym in our state that does it for beam. They're very disciplined and very successful. I doubt that it, specifically, is useful, but they seem to have a very methodical approach to everything, including walking and which shoulder to put their bags over.

There's a big name gym in our state that does it for beam. They're very disciplined and very successful. I doubt that it, specifically, is useful, but they seem to have a very methodical approach to everything, including walking and which shoulder to put their bags over.

which shoulder to put their bags over?!!:confused:

If our girls are really stressed at meets the head coach sometimes has them put heads down and visualize their routines, or face wall to do so, etc....not as a usual practice. However, there have been a few times where there have been other teams doing truely dangerous routines - and the coach has recommended the girls not watch...this is rare, but has happened - by dangerour I mean undertrained, poor technique, etc...not just high level!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back