WAG Bar Routine Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's what I had heard before, CoachP....so the gymnasts get dinged if they are between 45 degrees and vertical?! So crazy...

That's what I had heard before, CoachP....so the gymnasts get dinged if they are between 45 degrees and vertical?! So crazy...
that doesn't make sense. All C skills count as B skills in level 7/8, so the clearhip (near) hs would count as a B. Not a C. How can they then take deductions if they wouldn't take it as a 45* B skill?

This has changed this year. There is no longer an "A" clear hip. If the hips clear the bar, it is a "B" (or "C" if handstand). Amplitude deductions do apply (0.3 at horizontal, 0.35 to 0.4 below horizontal).
====
According to USAG guidelines optionals, anything below horizontal is not going to get B credit.

, no between 20 and 10, anything from 45 to 20 is good, anything from 10 to zero is good.

that doesn't make sense. All C skills count as B skills in level 7/8, so the clearhip (near) hs would count as a B. Not a C. How can they then take deductions if they wouldn't take it as a 45* B skill?
=
they just do... They are considered acceptable C's.

, no between 20 and 10, anything from 45 to 20 is good, anything from 10 to zero is good.

so essentially, it's better to come in lower than "almost there but just not quite." Makes it hard for the kids who are really trying to get vertical!

my DD is at 45 degrees or above, but not within 10 degrees of vertical right now, so I guess we're safe...until she gets better at it LOL

====
According to USAG guidelines optionals, anything below horizontal is not going to get B credit.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1384979434.186491.jpg

Here's a picture from the updated 2013-2017 code..free hip is a B unless hips touch which would obviously just make it a back hip circle. Up to .4 on amplitude if it's below horizontal.

There is also no deduction in levels 6-8 between a free hip between 45 degrees and vertical since no C is required. Not even half a tenth. I'll take of picture of that in the code as well. I don't know if it changed from previous years but that's what the code is saying now. View attachment 4157
==
typical USAG publishing, two contradictory items on the same page and website. Even the graph next to your second pic, (which is cut off), clearly shows horizontal and above to award clear hip B value.

Anyways my apologies, the 20 degree rule now only applies to 9 an 10s. Which is good because it was a strange rule in the past. And I stand corrected and am completely guilty of only going off of charts and graphs! Although getting a 4 tenth deduction on an b element basically makes pretty much worthless.

Actually it would be 5 tenths as well for missing a special requirement if it was their second circling skill. So 8 tenths total..my bad.

What I saw last year was that a clear/free hip that didn't reach horizontal was deemed an A, and therefore if it was supposed to be one of a girl's B skills on bars, she wound up with a missing special requirement unless the second B was somewhere else in the routine.

The rules are different this year, which is why every judge had to retest this year before they could/can judge. Thank you for posting those pictures fliptwisttwirl!

Confusing, and as a parent I really am trying not to care and leave it to the coaches....but DD is repeating L7 this year. Last year had 2 big clear hips, 2 big cast handstands, and flyaway, all with the required connections, kips, etc...had 10 starting values, placed consistantly....this year she's doing her giants (well....trying - still getting tiny spot from coach on the floor - really a tap on the bum....she's got fantastic form with them though and has only been doing them on UB for a couple weeks...I think they'll be there in January when meets start...and from my standpoint I want her going for it anyway, as its fear that kept her from moving up...). Would it be harder with the new rules to get a 10 starting value without giants? or easier....

I would assume that how girls will place with different routines/skills will vary based upon how many teams do Level 6 for girls without giants, etc....

Would it be harder with the new rules to get a 10 starting value without giants? or easier....

The special requirements for level 7 did not change from last year. However, I would guess there will be more 7s competing giants as those who don't have them will most likely be placed in level 6.

Actually it would be 5 tenths as well for missing a special requirement if it was their second circling skill. So 8 tenths total..my bad.

And could be 1.1 off the start value if a level 7 is relying on 2 clear hips as their only B's and as their B circling skill special requirement. In the past a level 7 routine that had 2 clear hips at horizontal started from a 10(as long as they hit the 3/4 cast and had flyaway), while a routine that had 2 clear hips slightly below horizontal would start from an 8.9(provided they hit cast and flyaway). That was a pretty big ding for not a big difference in execution.

I noticed the bars technique chart says no value part is awarded for casts that are not within 20 degrees of verticle. Does this mean that a cast below that level wouldn't be counted as a skill at all? So, if you don't hit handstand (or within 20 degrees) at every opportunity, you could be missing requirements? Or, am I totally misreading the chart?

Also, is a cast handstand still a B skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back