WAG Becoming a coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know there have been a few other threads about this before, but I'd like to know the best way to become a coach. I've heard about the program in Pennsylvania at the International Gymnastics Camp where you can get a PCD (Professional Coaching Diploma). Are there other programs like this in the country? Also, is this even necessary? I know several people have mentioned basically working from the ground up in a gym as a shadow/mentor to a coach and going from there. I also heard about the education courses through USAGym (are these mandatory anyway?).

I guess I'm basically wondering what the BEST way to become a coach is, what steps to take, and the most likely way to get hired.

Thank you!

I was looking into that program in 2011 but managed to secure a coaching position.

It would actually be a pretty good idea. No other camp has a program like it. You could work at a camp as a cabin mom/dad and attend clinics but nothing set up as thorough.

You do not need to do the education courses through USAG, but it's not a bad idea. I do recommend reading the GymCert manuals.

Years ago, I took a tumbling class in college and ended up working at a Rec gym starting off coaching the beginner and toddler/Pre-K classes. Watch lots of videos, read books, train when you can, take notes, go to Congress and local clinics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back