Build for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

juststartingout

Proud Parent
My dd is 5yo and new to gymnastics and I know almost nothing about gymnastics. I've had lots of parents comment on her skills and ask how long she's been doing gymnastics and then they always say " she's got the perfect body for gymnastics". What exactly does that mean? She is short and stocky she's 50lbs which is heavy for a 5yo although she doesn't look heavy just solid. I would think that would make gymnastics harder because of the weight you have to hold.

People say all kinds of things. Look at the current superstars in gymnastics- there are all kinds of builds in gymnastics. I would smile and say "thanks" and think nothing more of it. Short, tall, long and lean, bulky and muscular- what is clear is that it isn't easy, and it takes a lot of hard work, sacrifice and dedication to be a gymnast. Enjoy her journey!

One actually called her short and compact before they said she had the perfect gym body which kinda ticked me off so I'm not always feeling polite LOL. I have just been brushing it off and changing the subject but it amazes me how many people talk about her (not to me to other people) right in front of me. It's like she's free game because she is noticeably younger than the other kids.

One actually called her short and compact before they said she had the perfect gym body which kinda ticked me off so I'm not always feeling polite LOL. I have just been brushing it off and changing the subject but it amazes me how many people talk about her (not to me to other people) right in front of me. It's like she's free game because she is noticeably younger than the other kids.

you'll probably have to get used to that. that concern shows up on this site quite consistently as well as frequently.

Oh, isn't interesting the things people say to you! I hear this all the time about my DD, too (and have been since she was your DD's age as that's when she started) - "she has a great build for gymnastics" or "look at those thighs, she's going to be a powerhouse" yada, yada, yada (and why in God's name are you looking at my D's thighs?!?!). It gets old after awhile, doesn't it?

She just turned 8 and weighs 65 lbs. - very solid, somewhat short & muscular legs, long torso. She is in better shape than I probably have ever been! She is by no means the most polished or graceful of the group - she has to work very hard on those things. Her legs hardly ever look straight, even when she is trying her hardest. But, she sure can punch the floor and the springboard (on a good day) and she is actually pretty good at bars. Gymnastics takes a ton of coordination - she is fairly coordinated, but she is still little and her "great gymnastics build" doesn't really help in that area - lol. She'll get there if she chooses to continue in the sport.

Welcome to the wild world of gymnastics and all the "interesting" people that inhabit it! Sounds like your DD is probably progressing well and having a great time :) Enjoy the ride and I would do exactly what GymGirl'sMom said - smile and say thank you to those kinds of comments ;)

I hear it often too. My dd is 9 and 60 lbs and the shortest in her class. She is solid muscle. People think its ok to comment on how small someone is but it can be hurtful too. My dd classmates tease her sometimes. It makes her sad.

As I coach, I've seen kids who fit the "gymnast" bill who struggle with body awareness and the ability to learn skills and I've seen kids who don't fit the stereotypical criteria do pretty darn well. So many factors come into play in terms of a gymnasts ability, and while build and innate ability are definitely among those factors, they come in many forms. I've seen overweight children with remarkable flexibility and kids with a short/muscular build who have no idea how to tap into their strength. It's silly to pigeon hole a kid for the way they are build, especially when they are 5.
As a gymnast, I was average height and very "dense"- the type you would except to be a power gymnast. And while I was a good tumbler, I struggled terribly with vault and typically got my highest scores on bars. So much for that stereotype. And look at McKayla Maroney, she's a skinny string-bean type gymnast and is remarkably powerful, the best vaulter in the world! Just try to ignore those busy-body parents and have fun watching your DD enjoy her sport!

and really...it's not the "build" of the gymnast...but how one "builds" the gymnast that matters.:)

Oh the stereotypes, how much they bother me...

I've seen kids who don't look gymnasty at all be very successful. I've seen kids who look "like a gymnast" be...just...not successful. There's more to it than strength to weight ratio and aerodynamics. Work ethic, fear tolerance, drive, general coordination, ability to use momentum...

I hope she enjoys her time in the gym.

<-former powerhouse T&Ter & floor lovin' WAG athlete who apparently looks like a bars girl, but absolutely is NOT a bars girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back