WAG Can a Level 7 also compete as an 8?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Heatherbinn

Proud Parent
My 10 year old level 7 has been asked by the coach to also compete as an 8 in the same meet. Is this against USAG rules? The coach also said we do not have to declare a level until February. My daughter wants to be a 7 at states. If she qualifies for level 8 states during a meet, can she still compete as a 7? Your thoughts are appreciated!

I think it depends on the state... that being said, I think if she qualifies for level 8 state, it would be shady to compete level 7 state. Of course, that's jmho. :)

I know nothing officially/really, but anecdotally, I have seen a Level 7 compete an event or two at 8 to help the team (maybe this way they don't qualify for AA for states as they never did AA at L8???)

I know in the past, there were several gymnasts at DD's gym who competed 8 out of state but then competed level 7 at state (I think qualifying scores had to come from in-state at that point). These 2 girls were competing level 7 for a 2nd year and the coach allowed them to compete the one meet as an 8. It has not been done since- if you meet the qualifying score for state at that level, it's what you compete.

It depends on your state. Our state has a declaration date (usually in February). You can compete either level until then and then after that date you have to compete whatever level you plan to compete at state. In some states the state qualification score is very low, so qualifying to states does not necessarily mean you should compete that level. It is not uncommon at all for example for a level 9 gymnast to "test the waters" at L10 in a meet or two and then go back to L9 before states.

In our state, as long as the meet is not a sectional, and she does not get a qualifying scores to states at level 8, it would be ok....for example, she competed at the xyz meet as an 8 and it was a sectional and she got a 32.00, she would be an 8 for states...no going back because her 32 just "declared her" as an 8.

I have seen kids compete twice in a meet as a move up....they'd do the first meet at the lower level , get their mobility score and compete later at the higher level...and usually place in both meets!

This is the rule from the usag rules doc on their website.

Once a gymnast has competed in a Sectional meet, she may NOT drop back to a lower level in the same competitiveseason.• If no Sectional meet is held, then the State Administrative Committee must determine prior to the beginning of the competitive year, a designated "declaration" date for each level for such purpose. The level the athlete competes in a sanctioned competition after the “declaration” date designates her level for the remainder of the current season.

So it sounds like the rules can differ or at least appear to differ depending on how your state handles qualifying to state. We've had at least one gymnast I know of test the waters a level up and then decide it was too much and drop back.

I think it depends on the state... that being said, I think if she qualifies for level 8 state, it would be shady to compete level 7 state. Of course, that's jmho. :)

Not necessarily. Some states require a pretty low score to qualify for states. Getting a 32 is certainly not mastery of the level. I would have some questions as to why and what benefit would it be for your dd. Does the coach want her to have the experience of competing level 8 this year before making the move next year? Does he want to see how she can handle certain skills in a competition? Skills that aren't allowed at level 7?

To me what is shadier is for a coach to want to compete a gymnast DOWN at the same meet, not up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back