Parents coaches who yell

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really appreciate the two coaches' responses. Iwannacoach, I never thought about the fact that at least one knows what is actually being said to the kids if the coach is yelling at them. However, I also agree with gymsanity that there is a difference between speaking loudly/sternly and yelling. The consensus among the parents who responded to this post seems to be that coaches who use degrading language (whether it's whispered or yelled) are unexceptable. It seems most of you don't mind the yelling otherwise. Personally, I don't mind if a coach speaks loudly/sternly or if he yells for safety reasons. Otherwise I think that for most kids it's counterproductive. I think a lot of adults have forgotten what it really feels like when someone yells at you. After all, most adults don't get yelled at by their bosses or supervisors at work.

Ahhhh Yes, some of us get frustrated and yell. It never feels good, and it is not the best method to let it get to the point of frustration then yelling at the kid. It is also not productive in the long run. Yelling reduces the likelihood of a child coming forward and saying 'I don't understand/ I think I am doing what you are asking for' because they are worried the coach will get angry. So instead they keep quiet and continue to do the same thing which then leads to the reaction profmom gave "THIS IS THE THIRD TIME I'VE GIVEN YOU THAT CORRECTION! PLEASE DO IT RIGHT!" - Kid can't win either way! too scared to speak up for fear of reprimand, so they don't get the information/explanation to make changes to avoid reprimand!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back