Competition time 2015

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The numbers are amazing. I thought the biscuit one was a stroke of genius, I saw the photo on facebook. And lots of them have flashing lights and stuff. Well done to your dd. Remember it is a warm up comp , good luck in the real thing.

Dd had alpha factor this weekend - few mistakes and no great placement but she got a gold certificate for range and won an award for her number which we all know is the most important thing ;)
First time my dd has done Alpha factor, her number was poor compared to others, definatly learnt something for next time! I don't understand what the certificates were for either, she got 3 golds, a silver and a bronze

The certificates are for execution scores. As you probably know the scores are made up from D score (marks for the moves you have done) and E score (tidyness - this is where all the marks for bent legs etc are taken off a start score of 10) These are added together for your final score. Instead of giving out medals for 1st , 2nd and 3rd on each piece, Alpha Factor give out awards for execution. We call them 'tidy' awards. If your E score is higher than a certain amount you receive a gold award, a silver award or a bronze award depending on the amount.

The nice thing is there is no limit on how many kids get them. So if everyone is really neat on floor they will all get them. It means that many more kids will get something than if it was medals for pieces. It is a good encouragement to be really neat too.

Not perfect but no falls and passed with a commendation so we're happy with that particularly given her injuries last year. Was always going to be a tough competition especially with the number of (very good) comp 3 girls who crossed over to the national route this year.

Our girls had theirs this weekend. We have 1 in national 2 final, one reserve for comp 3 final and the rest all passed their various grades - couple of distinctions and commendations! Good weekend on the whole!
How many more regions are there left to compete?

I think a few regions have split them over a couple of weekends (ours did). I believe South Region had national grades yesterday and comp grades are a fortnight later. Not sure about any others.

East Midlands grades were yesterday. Comp, national and regional 4 all on one day. It was busy and long! DD did really well until the R&C - which was quite good until a couple of weeks ago. But she passed with a distinction which is such a huge step up from last year. She now has set her goals higher for next year...

Learning parent our girls did East Midlands yesterday, were you at Leicester? I've heard about a girl that did an awesome beam mount but don't know what it called or what level the girl was at was just wondering if you saw it?

Yes, we were at Leicester. But in the morning session. I was sitting right by the beam and didn't see anything that rings a bell. I suspect it was in the afternoon. I want to know what it was now! Our club had girls in the afternoon session so I will have to ask and see if any of them can tell me what it was.

I was most intrigued by the different vault requirements. Plenty of stuff that I hadn't really seen before.

I hope you had a good day. (Even if it was rather a long one!)

I didn't go my dd competed the fortnight before, from the way it was described the girl jumped on the springboard and landed in splits in the be somehow I will try and find out

I didn't go my dd competed the fortnight before, from the way it was described the girl jumped on the springboard and landed in splits in the be somehow I will try and find out

This is quite a popular mount now - it's in the code of points but I think Catherine lyons and Georgia Mae Fenton have made it quite popular over here. One of our girls does it too. Catherine lyons has done it from change leg split leap too!

Ahh :) DD would also love to do this. In fact I saw her having a cheeky try at training last week. Her squad are all moving onto the box splits mount (the name escapes me) and her box splits aren't quite there so she thought this might be easier for her!!!

Love the change leg. Love that beam, all together.

I like a lot of that beam but I don't think her moon walking is in keeping. Sometimes it's good to try and be a bit funky but this spoils it for me.

I did notice someone using her floor music from last year at grades at the weekend. I certainly think she'll be someone that the younger gymnasts will follow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back