Parents Complimenting the coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lets steer this thread back towards complimenting coaches and further away from the Christianity thing. That way the OP can keep away from that Foot in mouth issue. :D

I am a big complimenter. As someone in a caregiving/teaching profession, I know how it feels to only hear negative comments and how wonderful it is to hear something nice said about what I do.

I wonder if people don't compliment coaches enough because they really don't understand what they do or even whether or not they are doing it right? I could never compliment a coach on how well she spotted a vault, but I can say how happy I am that they take good care of my dd and things like that.

I love dd's coaches and try to compliment them and send nice emails thanking them for all their efforts. I try not to be too complimentary because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to suck up to them! Maybe some of the coaches can weigh in on the subject of too many compliments and/or gifts and what is appropriate. Our coaches hear a lot of complaints, and do seem truly grateful when I compliment them or help out in some way.

I think with the gifts, timing is important. it seems more acceptable to give a gift when your child has been with the coach for some time. it seems like butt kissing if your child has been with the coach for three days!

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

dd's coach seems universally popular, which is a pleasant change. I've never heard anyone complain about her and she gets lots of compliments. It is a balance though, as others have said. Gymnastics is such a competitive sport and I'm conscious that some of the more competitive parents think you're trying to curry favour if you say too much or give a gift. After competitions, Christmas and Birthday we give chocolate or bath stuff and if dd has had an especially good session I will text to say thanks. Does that mean I'm religious or not, cos after this thread I'm confused ;)

If you believe you might burst into flames caused by a higher power- then you believe in said higher power, no?

Wrong god/gods. :rolleyes:

A wise man once said, " Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help. "

I prefer " I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death... I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live. "

All this being said, I worked for 2 gyms that had owners that were LDS. Most of the people there were LDS or some variety of Christian, well at least at 2 of the gyms.

Just because it's a "Christian" gym doesn't mean coaches are going to be much different because they still are PEOPLE. They may be like good samaritans, they may invoke images and visions of Bela Karolyi.

Ok, this seems to have split into two separate subjects:

1) Complimenting coaches
2) Religion

Topic number one is perfectly fine to discuss here. Topic number two is not. Further posts relating to religion (either in favor of it or against it) will be edited or deleted.

To the OP: no worries, no harm done.

Anyway, getting back to the intended subject of the thread...

It's always good to compliment coaches. That coach was right, in that quite often we only hear from parents when they're unhappy; often, this leads us to fall into the trap of thinking of parents in general as adversaries at best and ignorant whiners at worst. This is, of course, a completely unfair generalization, but our perspective tends to be biased by the fact that the cranky parents are the ones we always hear from and the happy parents tend to keep it to themselves.

Complimenting your coaches will create a better atmosphere in the gym and better communication between you and the coach. I highly recommend you be generous in your praise to any coach who you think deserves it.

And, to reiterate, no more posts either endorsing or bashing christianity or religion in general will be permitted in this thread.

*Shucks* That was fun for a moment.

For coaches, I would highly recommend talking to your parents, from the kinder to team parents. Try talking to one or a few before and after practice, keep up with them via email and they will virtually never be out of the loop.

Then they compliment you and buy you Jamba Juice cards for Xmas and occasionally grab you some starbucks or jamba juice when you are doing a run. Not that does me any good really.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back