WAG Consequences in elite gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And yet the guys seem to be able to learn how to tumble without doing a million BWOs and FWOs -- most of them in my kids' gym cannot do a FWO without sitting it. (Coach has had them all try a few scattered times.)

we love when the boys arm up fwo/bwo across the floor. I think everyone in the gym thinks it is funny. only like one can go all the way across and back :)

I'd put even money on the one boy who can do it having a sister who's also a gymnast! (Yes, this would apply to the only two boys who can do passable FWOs on DS's team. My guess is that the third, who's currently a L4 and has a sister who's a L7, will soon join that elite group, lol.)

Yeah..D is the only one in his group right now., but they are U-G-L-Y!!! LOL!

Front and back walkovers have little to do with conditioning and training a gymnast. Shoulder and thoracic flexibility can be train more efficiently without the stress these two skills put on a kids lumbar spine. Considering the risk of long term damage, they amount to a waste of time and nothing more.

bwo's are basics. they must be done. but you must move away from them asap. bwo is to flip flop and layout step out as fwo is to handspring and aerial walk over. you want to get to those.

what everyone doesn't see is just how many backs get trashed from bwo's.

bwo's are basics. they must be done. but you must move away from them asap. bwo is to flip flop and layout step out as fwo is to handspring and aerial walk over. you want to get to those.

Interesting point! I posted a question recently asking how a PARENT can advocate for their child and try to make sure their child's back doesn't get trashed. Surprisingly, only one parent and one coach responded. I'm hearing proverbial "crickets" on this subject. I appreciated the suggestions I received...such as asking for shoulder stretches before any BWO, and a day of no BWO if there is any soreness.

My nephew's elbow was nearly destroyed because a "good" baseball coach had him throwing curves too young and too often. I don't want to look back ten years from now and wonder what I might have done differently as a parent. Kipper's at a great gym, but it's new. I think they are doing things right, but it sure would be nice to know if there are warning signs to watch for. I knew Kipper would be working more on BWO on beam now that her L4 season is over. She told me yesterday she is working BWO connections. I know they have introduced BHS on a low beam and high with mats...so I think the gym is focused on progressing them through BWO to BHS quickly. Sounds like that is a good sign. Any other "good" signs to look for?

As a mom who did 15 years of gym(level 10 and college scholarship) and someone who has had a daughter who trained elite for many years in a gym w many elites and national team members not to mention Olympians; please please evaluate if you truly feel that your daughter is thriving in this gym or if you are feeling frustrated with the situation for MANY reason that are valid.
This environment does not feel ideal with how you describe it now. I urge you to seriously listen to your instincts but to look with as much as a non emotional eye as possible.

At our gym, shoulders and wrists are stretched... then they do a bridge... shoulders over wrists... hold for 15 seconds... come down... 3 rock and rolls... repeat, but with straight legs, feet together... hold 15 seconds... come down... 3 rock and rolls... one more time, but stick something in the air (leg or arm or for the talented, an arm and leg)... hold 10 seconds... come down... 3 rock and rolls.

If they do BWO across the floor, they do rock and rolls at the end. It at least SEEMS to help... nobody complains of back pain except OG (who skips bridges and BWO across the floor)... but she injured her back a couple years ago playing tag at recess. Her family doc sent her for x-rays that showed nothing... then, for a while, she didn't have insurance, so no ortho. I am working on getting her in to a sports medicine chiropractor (because they will do the x-ray as part of the first visit) and see if that helps. If not, THEY do refer to a Sports Medicine Ortho.

Thank you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back