Parents DD had first in-house competition! (and question)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

theBananaBunch

Proud Parent
My DD started gymnastics this past summer, and got invited to pre-team in fall. This weekend her gym had an in-house meet. She didn't place, but everyone received a trophy and she was so excited. It gave us a good taste of what competing would be like (especially with bringing siblings along).

That's pretty much it I guess :) I'm relatively new to the whole gymnastics thing. She started a rec. program with our gym this summer, then moved up to Level 1. After the first class they invited her to pre-team, so we are doing 2x a week for an hour. How long do kids usually stay in pre-team? Her coach said she needs to work on back flip? (kicking her legs up and going backward flip over the uneven bar) and pointing her toes more on the beam. I should add that she turned 5 this summer. Thanks! Glad to have found this board.

Congrats on her first meet! Every gym has their own system for how long kids stay on pre-team. Our pre-team is level 1 and 2 and competes, and depending on their age they are usually there for a year or 2.

Congrats on her first competition. I've seen girls stay on preteam from 1 month to two years. Since your DD just turned 5 over the summer, I would estimate that she would move up most likely in the summer if she has all her skills. (Girls have to be 6 to compete JO lvl 3.) I'm thinking that the skill you are describing is a pullover. If she has small hands, it could take a while before that skill (and other skills in the level 3 routine) are competition ready. Pointing toes comes with practice. She will get there. Congrats, again and welcome to CB and the world of gymnastics!

Yes, every gym is different, and it even depends on each girl within the gym (at least at our gym). My DD was only on our developmental team for about 6 months before moving up to team. One of her friends started with her on developmental, ended up spending a year and a half there, but now they are on the same level and neck and neck with each other in the competitions, so if the talent is there, I think it all evens out in the end.

Thanks all! Yes, Gymom, it is a pullover (still getting used to all the names/descriptions!). There are four levels of pre-team- DD is in the 2nd from the bottom (1st rung is for 3-4 year olds). We are enjoying it so far, and she seems to be pretty good, but don't all parents think that of their own? :) As long as she is enjoying it and we can afford it, we will stick with it.

Do kids on pre-team get invited to team, or do you have to ask?

Congrats on the meet! I love the pre-team, in-house meets because the kids are always just so thrilled to be there. LOL!

Pre-team generally leads in to team without you having to do anything. Usually they are working on the skills needed for the next level. Once they have those skills (and the time of year is right), coaches will move your daughter up automatically.

I would imagine that since your daughter is only 5, and still only on the second of 4 levels of pre-team, she'll be at a "pre-team" level a year or more. Every gym is different, some seem to rush them through and don't care as much if they get to team and score low. Others want them almost perfect at skills before they move them up to team. My daughter did a number of levels of pre-team, starting at an advanced pre-school class, to hot shots, then pre-team. Each step added a bit more time, and it took from a bit under the age of 4, to almost age 6. Then it was level 2 team (6 y/o), and now starting level 3 team (at barely 7 yrs old.) She's the youngest one by at least a year, so there really isn't any rush... hours jumped way up at L3, for her, it's 12.5 hrs, so they need to be ready to handle 3-4 hr practices, several days a week before most coaches want to push them to that level.

The terminology will come, but it's a never ending constantly evolving type of thing! I google something at least once a week. Team and preteam work a little different at our gym. We have tryouts at the end of April. We entered our current gym and were put directly on team at 5 years old. But we were at another gym for 2 years. They didn't have a competition team. She started in preschool, advanced preschool, then their advanced class (equivalent to lvl 2/3). It was difficult to leave as I work for the 1st gym, but she outgrew their program quickly. We went to tryouts and to our luck, they were starting a new TOPS team that they wanted our daughter to participate in. I count the 1st gym as her preteam so we were there for 2 1/2 years.

Congrats on the meet! It's so fun to watch them show off what they have learned :)

There is no one way road to team, it really depends on the gym and the child. My DD started gym on her 6th birthday in March and she was moved to old L3 team by the end of the summer. She is starting her second competitive year as a new L3 at 7 years old but she is the youngest on her team by a full year.

Preteam at our gym has two levels; L1 and L2. Most of the girls in preteam are ages 5-8. Moving to team, which starts at L3, is by invitation only. There are some girls who started before my DD who are still on preteam. Invitations come based on skills the girls have, level of maturity to handle 12 hours of training a week (the minimum for new L3 at our gym), and level of commitment from the parents. So as soon as those 3 things are met then the child is extended an invitation to team. That usually happens a few weeks after state, which is the end of March where I live. That gives them all the way until October to train for the upcoming season.

My advice is don't think too far ahead. Live in the moment, enjoy watching her do what she does and just take it as it comes :)

My oldest DD has been on pre team for 2 years now and is moving to L3 JO in the late spring for fall competitions.
My younger DD has been on pre team for 2 years as well and is moving to a more rec team in Jan to compete in the spring, then to JO pre-team then to JO L3.. that will take another year. It is a long road with gymnastics. Just be patient. it will happen, and you will eventually live there... I know we do :) PS- Oldest DD has been in gymnastics for 5 years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back