DD wants to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

Our 11 year old DD wants to quit and we aren't sure what to do. She is L8 & has had several overuse injuries in the past 6 months. Our ortho has recommended a few months rest with physical therapy, after that she can return to the gym. She says she still loves gymnastics but is afraid to go back because she doesn't want to hurt anymore. As a mom, that is tough to hear but totally understandable. We just don't want her to regret the decision especially because she is so talented and could continue gymnastics all the way thru high school if we can just get her healthy. I have to admit though, she is seeming to enjoy having time to relax and do other things. Any advice?? Thank you!!

If she seems to like not having gymnastics, let her take a few months off to heal up and rest and its a big possibility she'll miss gymnastics and want to go back. (I went through it when I was 11 too; wanted to hangout with friends and such so I quit, but after 5ish months missed it and went back and have been doing it since). Plus if the doc recommends a few months rest than I'd listen- you don't want her pain to continue, and you don't want her to be unhappy if your making her go to practice but she doesn't want to. So overall I think the best thing is to let her do what she wants, which seems to be taking a break and relaxing and doing other things, and once she feels better she may (or may not) go back, but it's want she wants. Good luck!

I agree, let her rest up. If she can or wants to let her go to open gym when she is able. While she is recouperating talk to her about other opportunities including other sports (maybe diving, prep op (or Excel) gym. Most important, listen to her and let her process her emotions. Eleven seems to be a pivotal age in sports, either they stick or move on. Either way, gymnastics has given her a firm foundation for other activities.

I think what we sometimes forget is gymnastics is not a career unless you want it to be. Kids will be kids. And numbers show that with the decline as girls" get older" . My daughter's best friend is a 12 yr level 9 at a top gym in the area and she has never been able to come to a full birthday party or school event because she has practice on fridays's and Saturdays ( actually the whole week except sunday is open gym) . Its sad because as a parent do I want my daughter looking back and thinking.. did she miss this because of gymnastics or she missed that because of practice. I dont ever want to doubt that my daughter missed "an event" because she had to go to practice. Kids are kids and something as tough as it is we have to let them be and let them find out what they want and dont want.

if an 11 year olds body hurts so bad that she wants to quit there is either a medical condition or she is being WAY overtrained.

I would say follow the DR's directions let her take the few months off then wehn she gets the OK to go back see if she still wants to quit. at 11 yo she could change her mind like we change underware. you might consider if its the time commitment that ends up bing an issue there is always Prep-op has less time commitment still allows her to compete with the skills she is comfortable with.

Would she be going to the gym to do some conditioning while she is resting. The girls at our gym when hurt come in and do like and hour and a half of various excercises to keep the muscle tone so when they are ready to come back they haven't lost strenght.

1st, take the doc's advice and let her rest. You can ask if she can go in to condition. During the time off, it will give you and dd some time to talk about what she really wants and if going back to competitive gymnastics is something she wants to continue or stop. Keep the door open, but let her know it is her decision.
I agree with dunno---at age 11, I would be questioning what is going on that has caused so many injuries.

My daughter is a 12 y/o level 7. She has had 2 injuries over the past 7 months...one gymnastics related/one not and it has forced her to do next to no gymnastics (ie: tumbling) and instead mostly conditioning.

I think you have to trust your daughter's gut...she is afraid and that is normal at this age. She is developmentally at a place where she has seen what has happened to her body and can project what might happen if she continues.

In my daughter's case, she is very anxious to get back to the gym to do 'real stuff' as she says. She has stayed in as good shape as she could, conditioning wise, so in the next few weeks we are hopeful to get back to doing 'stuff'.

All that being said, if there had to be a 'best time' for her injuries, it is now....the transition to 7th grade with way more homework has been a challenge. So in her case, instead of being at the gym 3 school nights a week for 3.5 hours, she has been there less time (as there is only so much conditioning you can do!) so she has time to do some work at home (and some during PE at school!!) As a result, I think that she feels good about her ability to get work done and when she is back full time at gym, she will be used to the work, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I think you should let her sit back and do what she is comfortable doing. If she's not asking to go to the gym to condition then that's a sign that she isn't ready/wanting. With the time to relax, she may be able to make a clear decision when her ortho/PT gives her the go ahead to do more.

Hope this helps!

She definitely needs to take some time off from what is described. After that you could discuss going back on certain conditions or look into another program if possible.

Thanks everyone for the replies. You have just confirmed what we were already thinking/doing. In response to the questions about the amount of injuries - it has been suggested that one "injury" led to another because she naturally would begin to compensate once one body part started hurting. Our gym hasn't seen this type of thing with other girls so I hestitate to blame the coaching, but who is to say for sure.

She has now been out of gym off and on for the past 5 weeks and really hasn't complained about not going (except that she doesn't want to miss the holiday festivities that are coming up) so I have a feeling she may decide not to go back once we have doctor and PT approval . Disappointing for sure, but we certainly would never push her. it will just mean we are off on another adventure!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back