WAG Deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

roll123

Proud Parent
Is there a basic rule for common deductions? Like how much for not pointing toes? Or not holding handstand long enough on beam? Or a step on the dismount? I've always wondered how those little things score because I know they add up at the end.

it doesn't matter. focus on the development of the athlete. that's all that matters.:)

I think it depends on the person. I am very analytical and I hated not knowing the general deductions. It always felt like the scores were so arbitrary. Once I started learning more, I was able to sit back and enjoy watching.
I'm the same way. I am just such an information junkie, doesn't matter what it is. I can waste hours on wiki bouncing from one subject to another, wherever the information takes me. some people are just wired that way. I am one who does not find that ignorance is bliss!

I am also one of those who needs the information.
It also helps when the team girls come up to me and ask how they can improve (without getting anymore skills). I am able to tell them to work on being tight, hold your handstand (if required), point toes, etc. On bars last season, I was able to help some of the L4 girls improve their scores by .3 to .6 by reminding them about the little things :)

The more you know, the more you stop enjoying your daughters performances, so.... just enjoy..

This does not work for me either. I find knowing what you are watching to be more enjoyable. Having a more informed eye makes me appreciate things better. I think ignorance is bliss is more of an exception than the rule, for me anyway. But I will say, I don't worry too much about deductions. I am more inquisitive on the skills themselves, how it progresses, how it should look, if it is safe and how to improve it,

I like knowing the basics, but I had a parent sitting behind me at a meeting critiquing everything.
"nice toe point"
"good extension"
OOh..bent legs

Pretty much commented on every deduction or bonus for the whole routine. He had read the code and "knew" everything. It was really hard to sit near (and he was from our team so i was kinda stuck!)

I guess, if you know stuff, at meets, don't be that guy. I prefer to just watch and enjoy everyone without the added stress of deductions and scores.

There is a survey business people use to determine what type of "worker" people are.... Loosely people tend to gravitate to one or more of: researcher (need for knowledge, to understand the subject,analyze,etc), the risk taker, the follow through or the implementer. My scores are huge in the researcher..... Helps given I am engineer.

But for people like me, I need to know to be happy. I see there are many others above just like me, so things like how the DV of a routine is calculated, or what values deductions are, etc. really do make us happy :)

It would be interesting, for me, to know a little more about what contributes to the score they get, so I can figure out what exactly my DD is doing on bars that seems to impress the judges. Last week, I thought her bars routine was a little iffy, but she got her highest bars score ever. And she had been judged by the same judge before. The week before, she fell on her shoot through and still got a pretty decent score. So their must be something they see, that I don't with my untrained eye, that they like. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to study it all indepth just to find out. LOL

I like knowing the basics, but I had a parent sitting behind me at a meeting critiquing everything.
"nice toe point"
"good extension"
OOh..bent legs

Pretty much commented on every deduction or bonus for the whole routine. He had read the code and "knew" everything. It was really hard to sit near (and he was from our team so i was kinda stuck!)

I guess, if you know stuff, at meets, don't be that guy. I prefer to just watch and enjoy everyone without the added stress of deductions and scores.

These people can be very distracting at meets. I enjoy watching meets in silence without anyone influencing where I direct my attention. My husband likes to comment a lot and reacts more than I like. I think it is nerves. But nonetheless can be annoying. :confused:

I like to know the deductions too! Just "watching" is as boring as watching football or basketball without knowing the rules, how plays are run, what qualifies as a foul, etc. Any sport becomes more interesting when you know more about it. Even cross-country skiing.

Sitting through a 4-hour meet is boring enough....at least trying to "score" girls myself gives my mind something to do.

I'm also in the camp of wanting to understand the basic rules. I even went as far as taking (and passing) the L 5/6 judging exam a couple years ago. I'm a naturally inquisitive person and like to challenge myself, but it was another parent at L5 states that prompted the testing. Coaches - I completely understand your perspective in that we should never use the information to "coach" any child OR parent. I remember getting completely wrong information from an optional parent when we were starting out, so a little knowledge can be dangerous.

However, I think a parents lack of knowledge can hurt you as well. The parent I referenced above just could not understand why their Suzy didn't score better at states. They moved to a new gym the next day. I really think that part of it was that the parents didn't understand the basics of the sport. The tenth that come from the steps on landings, the importance in compulsory of following the set routine, etc.

In the same light, I always wonder if I would actually enjoy a pro baseball game if I understood the pitches, defensive schemes, offensive strategies. Otherwise, I see 9 men, a bat and a ball that sometimes flies towards me.

Then there's sitting through a meet with the non-competing gymnast child sitting next to you and watching her/his sib and saying, "Mom. Mom. Mom! Mom! MOM! What's the deduction for [x random little thing that you didn't even notice]? Huh? What is it? Is it a tenth? Huh? MOM!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back