WAG Different scoring in different states

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
In the two years, L4 and L5, I have noticed that the scoring for similar routines is very different depending on the state we are competing in. Our coaches have noticed this as well and it drives then crazy :) In my home state scoring seems to be on the low side across the board at every meet. Scores average in the 8.5-9.0 range. You have done FANTASTIC if you score in the 9.0s. But when we go to the states surrounding us the scores go up by 0.3-0.5 points. I know this isn't improvement necessarily in the gymnast because we can be in different states on consecutive weekends. I was just wondering with this is something others have noticed.

Yes, it's the same deal here. When we go to out-of-state meets, we always score better, but often place lower (usually simply because these meets are a lot larger).

I've had the same experience. I'm not sure if some states are just tougher due to more competition, or what. It seems like the scores should be the same across the board. I took my team girls to an out of state meet and they all scored a full point better on almost every event, with the same routines.

It's pretty common for judges to gather together as a state to interpret the code and agree as a group what constitutes a .1 leg bend and a .2 leg bend. So figure that in a gently judged routine with a 10.0 sv that scores a 9.2 you've got up to eight instances of a .1 form break. If the "local chapter" sees half of them as .2 deduction the score drops like a soggy block of chalk....all the way down to an 8.8.

It's fairly simple math that was taught to me one fine sunny day at the Santa Monica Gymfest while judging with a more senior member of the community.....his name was Frank Endo, and one judges conference with Mr. Endo was all it took to get me straightened out on the difference between .1 and .2 deductions......I think he...errr...we agreed they were all .2 deductions. :eek: :eek: :D

Glad to see that it wasn't just me. I think Idaho must be in the -.2 for everything camp :D. As long as it's consistent through a meet it does't really matter but it sure confuses the heck out of every one!

this happens to us as well. Higher scores in neighboring states, but sometimes I wonder if it is the difference between large and small meets since our out of state meets are the bigger meets.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone care to share what areas of the country are higher vs. lower scoring?

Just out of curiosity, would anyone care to share what areas of the country are higher vs. lower scoring?

Well, we see it within our own region. We are in NC and dd's team gets higher scores visiting SC, FL, GA. We go to MD this season so it will be interesting to compare their scores as well. I have read on here before that it seems the west coast judges tend to score lower than the east coast for similar routines, as seen when the girls get to Level 10 nationals (quality of routines with their scores from state/regional/national scoring) but I have never looked into it. dd is a LONG way off from national competitions.

MD is a pretty notoriously tough scoring state. I believe CA is regarded as pretty tough as well while Texas is probably the prime example of a huge scoring state (or maybe the gymnasts are just that much better).

We spent 2 years competing in California and now coming here to Kentucky I sincerely do believe they score a lot harder in California than here. Comments from other people lead me to believe the same. It will be interesting to see how my daughter scores in a few weeks at her first meet in this state.

Well, we see it within our own region. We are in NC and dd's team gets higher scores visiting SC, FL, GA. We go to MD this season so it will be interesting to compare their scores as well. I have read on here before that it seems the west coast judges tend to score lower than the east coast for similar routines, as seen when the girls get to Level 10 nationals (quality of routines with their scores from state/regional/national scoring) but I have never looked into it. dd is a LONG way off from national competitions.

We are in SC where you hardly ever see a score above a 9.4. Those are saved for the girls from NC ;)

I'm going to backtrack my claim slightly. There are a few of gyms who routinely score higher than the pack in NC but tend to see score decreases when they travel out of state....

We are in SC where you hardly ever see a score above a 9.4. Those are saved for the girls from NC ;)

lol not sure if that was in jest or not. We don't see many scores above 9.4 when we travel out of state either (except Charleston Cup - they notoriously have high scores) but dd's scores in NC to out of state usually go up .2-.5 per event. That makes a huge difference in AA. In the end, it doesn't matter as long as everyone is being judged on the same deduction patterns...

Hmm do not come to MN we are notorious for tough judges and low scores. We like to go out of state to WI scores are always better for us there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back