Disappointment and where do we go from here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am so sorry your dd is going through this. I hope that you can find a gym that welcomes her enthusiasm and commitment.

At level 5, a 34AA competed a few weeks ago is a respectable score. Your posts state that she is not a strong vaulter and her kips are muscled up. Her beam and floor must be really solid to get a 34. Back when my dd was a level 5 with a weak vault she was scoring 7s and her teammates with weak kips were scoring 7s. So your dd must really shine in the other events. I would expect that she could highlight those strengths at a try-out. Especially since she is willing to repeat level 5.

Good luck to her and hope it works out.

My husband and I have been talking about it and we don't want to pull the plug on her yet. She has gymnastics in her heart. At the last two workouts/tryouts the teams looked at one tiny part of a skill/drill/ or part of routine. Maybe that is how elite gyms evaluate and believe me I have no problem with their system. I think I need to find a gym that will look at her as a whole competitor/gymnast and not discard her because she is not nationals material. She just wants to compete. She works hard and I think she is tired this week. Her last meet scores on 4/15 were: vault 7.8, bars, 8.25, beam 9.025, floor 8.75 (or something really close to those scores). I think she did great for having surgery and being out of commission since December!

Those are very respectable scores and right in line or above many of our first year L5 girls this past year. Do you have any other gyms nearby that are not elite type gyms? Our state this year split the L5s into two groups for state according to their highest score of the season. I think the cut off score was a mid 34, so in our state she would be right in the middle- very respectable for being out with injuries! There has got to be a gym around for her.

Keep looking. If she doesn't want to move to a rec op path, then find a good solid program that will work with her in level 5. I'm sure there is a good program that will take her in level 5 if she can do any kind of kip and roundoff back handsprings, although if she can't vault over the table she might have to join the first year level 5 group in the summer.

I think I get what your daughter is looking for -- a team with a strong competitive program that isn't necessarily grooming the next champions, but which will take her as far as she wants to go in this sport. Recreational gymnastics is fine but if that's not what she wants then there's no point in going down that route. You live in a large metro area, I am sure there are teams out there that are solid, and which would take your daughter. Her scores are respectable, really, especially considering she's just coming off an injury.

I hope things start going her way soon and she finds a gym that is the perfect fit.

Do you have video from her last meet? When DD started at her new gym, I sent the HC a link to the video of her level 5 States meet. It wasn't a "try out" per se... it was a new gym and the HC was pretty much taking everyone who wanted to participate (which is a thought... any new gyms in your area that seem to have promise?). But I thought it would be good for her to see where she was at the end of level 5 (plus it was a wee bit of a brag, because I was proud of her!). If you're concerned about the coaches not seeing what she is capable of, that might be a good way to show them.

I am sure there is a gym out there for her. I don't have a video (we normally tape) because the spectator seats were so far away from the events it was impossible to even see her (long narrow gym with all of the events on one end and the seats on the floor on the other).

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement...

Do you have video from her last meet? When DD started at her new gym, I sent the HC a link to the video of her level 5 States meet. It wasn't a "try out" per se... it was a new gym and the HC was pretty much taking everyone who wanted to participate (which is a thought... any new gyms in your area that seem to have promise?). But I thought it would be good for her to see where she was at the end of level 5 (plus it was a wee bit of a brag, because I was proud of her!). If you're concerned about the coaches not seeing what she is capable of, that might be a good way to show them.

My husband and I have been talking about it and we don't want to pull the plug on her yet. She has gymnastics in her heart. At the last two workouts/tryouts the teams looked at one tiny part of a skill/drill/ or part of routine. Maybe that is how elite gyms evaluate and believe me I have no problem with their system. I think I need to find a gym that will look at her as a whole competitor/gymnast and not discard her because she is not nationals material. She just wants to compete. She works hard and I think she is tired this week. Her last meet scores on 4/15 were: vault 7.8, bars, 8.25, beam 9.025, floor 8.75 (or something really close to those scores). I think she did great for having surgery and being out of commission since December!

Ok now that I see her scores (and she scored a 33.825 AA 2 weeks ago), I can't believe there's not a gym in the Chicago area that will take her on their team. She's not going to be the strongest gymnast but she's not scoring 28s...and given the fact she's coming back from injury, she should improve.

I guess if I were you I would refine my search...look at the results on Mymeetscores.com (or your state website) from states and see where the gyms that have girls in your daughter's level and age group are and seek them out and maybe you'll get a more positive response. Like I've said before, my daughter was a terrible compulsory (32.2 max for levels 4,5,6) but I knew when she was in her original gym that they couldn't improve her, and I think that's what you're up against in your current gym...you just need to seek out a place that will work with her to her potential.

Thanks bookworm! She had a terrible L5 season and has been in L5 for 2 years. It was bad I think (not sure here and maybe I am delusional) because her wrist was hurting for the last 2 years. We finally got that diagnosed and as I have said in my other posts etc. her wrist pain was not an injury from gymnastics but due to something else and aggravated by gymnastics and would hurt with any sport where she used her hands - so we had to get it fixed for the long term. She really has beautiful form, doesn't wobble on the beam and never falls off, her floor is very respectable and her bars clearly need work because she has been off for so long, I think her vault is a mental thing - she can't find her steps, and she needs to learn how to block. She doesn't want to be a champion or anything she just wants to compete in the sport that she loves.

She is tryout out AGAIN at another gym tomorrow and then we have another appt. on 5/7. It will be interesting to see how these go! Wish us luck!

Ok now that I see her scores (and she scored a 33.825 AA 2 weeks ago), I can't believe there's not a gym in the Chicago area that will take her on their team. She's not going to be the strongest gymnast but she's not scoring 28s...and given the fact she's coming back from injury, she should improve.

I guess if I were you I would refine my search...look at the results on Mymeetscores.com (or your state website) from states and see where the gyms that have girls in your daughter's level and age group are and seek them out and maybe you'll get a more positive response. Like I've said before, my daughter was a terrible compulsory (32.2 max for levels 4,5,6) but I knew when she was in her original gym that they couldn't improve her, and I think that's what you're up against in your current gym...you just need to seek out a place that will work with her to her potential.

Good luck!! I hope that you find a good fit for your dd! Sounds like she loves gym and has great perseverence--and very supportive parents:)

Good luck to both you and your DD, there has to be a gym out there that is the perfect fit. I find it so hard to believe that a coach would not be willing to take a kid with very respectable level 5 scores, especially considering she was coming back from an injury and very limited training. Lots of level 5s struggle with vault, especially if they are common from a program with limited resources for vault drills, I really don't think that should be enough for a coach to say she should take the gijo track, seems very silly to me. And as you have probably seen here, it's pretty incredible how much a kid can improve within a few months with improved coaching.
I really commend you on your desire to find the best fit for your DD and your encouragement of her passion, even if she's not on the path to become an elite. Gymnastics is a great journey, regardless of what level a child reaches.

Good luck with the tryouts. Some gyms can just be snobby and if they just took a quick look and dismissed her, I don't think you'd want to have her there anyway.
Keep the faith---she'll find a new gym home.

misshoneybee: do not despair! Your daughter, if she loves this sport as much as you say she does, will find a gym that suits her and will continue in JO track competition. Look around for a gym that will take her in her current track, being mindful to watch for good coaches who employ positive training techniques and have high safety standards.

There is a place in JO competitive gymnastics for kids like yours (and mine) who are maybe work-a-day gymnasts, but who are passionate about the sport and willing to put the time in in takes to compete JO.

A little background: We left a smaller, recreational gym where DD was doing okay and moved to a more competitive program after the verbal abuse from one of the coaches at the former gym became intolerable. DD doubled her training hours, and immediately became (as a second year L5, competing with first year L5s) one of the more "struggling" gymnasts on the team.

I gave it eight weeks.

Instead, a year later she still comes home from practices full of joy (and unfortunate 9 p.m. energy!). She ended her second year of L5 with a 34.8 at states. Many of her teammates were in the 37s. She's happy for them.

Are her coaches excited about her form problems and her performances at meets (with all the bent legs, flexed toes and a handspring vault that actually makes the gym owner inadvertently grimace, despite his really sunny disposition)? No, I don't think they are. If she had not come into this gym already in the JO track they would have sent her to Prep Opt. If she stays on this track, will she ever be taking home those big, honking trophies I see the 37-scorers getting? I think not.

But I think her coaches value her as a supportive teammate, hard worker, and probably as a full paying/no fuss/mature/friendly customer. She's got a great spirit and clearly loves what she is doing and, more important, where she is doing it: at a place with coaches who make gymnastics challenging, safe and, above all, fun!

There's got to be a place in the greater Chicago area that will value your passionate, hard-working gymnast. Keep looking!

When we were looking for a gym we tried to keep the list with just one gym on it. We went to first tryout that gym was on the list. We went to 2nd tryout compared the 2nd to the first and out of those two which would we choose and that gym was the one on the list and the other eliminated. We did this for the 5 gyms we tried out for so when we got to the last tryout it was just the one on the list and the one we just tried out for as a choice of which one we wanted to go to. Made it so much eaiser for me and DD to make the decision.

First of all, my heart goes out to your daughter. I have always had a soft spot for kids who are passionate about their sport. Hopefully this story will give you a bit of encouragement. I coach in a developmental volleyball league. I had a kid come in who had a great attitude, a ton of heart and NO experience. After one season with me, she tried out for her junior high team. She didn't make it. She told her mom (who passed it on to me), "I'm sad, but I'm just going to work harder and make the team next year." She spent another season with my league. I was invited to go to her tryouts for a traveling club team (a level above her junior high team). Let's just say that I enjoyed watching her club team compete at regionals a couple of weeks ago! Heart and love for the sport will carry kids a long way. Your daughter sounds like she has plenty of both. I look forward to the happy stories on the other side of this brief disappointment!

Thanks for all the support! She is no longer sad about any of this and one and gymlawmom you are right - she and I decided if a gym is that snobby - she doesn't want to be there. She has been working out with another team in the area and for the first time in 1.5 years her vault was amazing - so much height (for her) - great form, everything is clicking for her (she said it is all mental for her and she didn't really understand what it means to "block" until one of the tryout coaches told her to "push the table away from you").

Even though she is going through some rough tryouts the coaching has been good, she has learned a lot and in a very short period of time she is applying it in the gym. She is also reading the forums here (but not a member because she is too young) and learning how to remove mental obstacles and studying how to "fix" some of her lingering issues with certain skills. I am so proud of her. I actually think if she can stay healthy, and with the right environment she will be one of those kids getting 37's. If not - that is okay too.

She has so much perseverance and a burning desire ...I am really proud of her. These lessons will serve her well throughout her lifetime.

Great news for your daughter. Happy for her. Why do you think the other gym was snobby. Didn't the other girl with you make the team. what was snobby about the gym(s). Did she try out for a new team.

Beamer....The description of your daughter is nearly the same I would have provided about a girl in my program years ago at age 10. She was quite unremarkable! At times I felt bad about how hard she'd work, with very limited results, to "pitch in" to her group's work ethic. Fortunately she believed in herself far more than any normal person, excluding mom, ever would. She ended up "sticking it out", and improved just a little bit every few months, until 8 years later when she entered college and competed balance beam for a major program with consistent national appearances. It just goes to show, you don't have to run "up front", if what you really want is to win your own "race".

This child taught me more about dedication and how to "pursue a dream" than anyone else ever could. She, and others like her, are the reason I'll never appraise a child's ability on physical merit or apparent skill set. So misshoneybee, if thats your real name!?, take your daughter to every gym, if they won't put her on team "out of hand", enroll her in their classes. If she really wants it, and is truely as unremarkable as the child I once coached, you'll proudly sit back and watch as she makes her way onto team, and resumes her dream.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back