Parents Do gymnastics scholarships exist?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with Bookworm. I wish I would have known. I am a single parent and it has been very hard to cover the expenses for my DD. Every time I've gotten a raise over the last 6 years, it's gone directly to added expenses as she's moved up in levels and had to travel more and more. She is fairly (IMHO) talented and moved so far so fast that it quickly felt so unfair to pull her after all of her hard work, even though I really struggled to pay for. I get a lot of help from my family to cover expenses. They are on board at this point and are glad to help because (barring injury or quitting) she has a good chance at college, but there were times where my priorities were questioned by myself and by those helping me. That being said, knowing what I know now, I'd still probably do the same thing because I want her to pursue her passion, but I'd do it with a better mind for the future expenses.

Our gym (an extremely pricey one - even in comparison to the average US gym, apparently) does have partial scholarships available for developmental and team students, depending on financial need and talent. Requires talking to the owner and, I assume, providing some kind of financial/tax statements or something.

In our case, for example, one spouse has taken a part time job in the evenings (and some weekends) specifically to cover gymnastics costs (and not even all of it!). It makes for zero family time during the week, a lot of time on crowded public transportation, and lots of rushing around trading parenting, which is a strain to all, but that's what it takes for us to 'afford' gym for our 2 team kids. Not to mention giving up the ability to visit our extended family who live far away (no local family). We do not have relatives who could offer support, either. We choose to make this sacrifice, at least for now. But each family will have their unique set of constraints and tolerances regarding what can and should be sacrificed to fuel a child's sports (or other) endeavors.

So, imho, both Bookworm and MILgymFAM have valid viewpoints - though one shouldn't immediately give up on the possibilities based on one's currently available resources, the options available to your friend are likely to come with sacrifices that she may or may not be willing to make for her family. Knowing up front what the costs will be 1, 2, 5 years away will help to better inform those decisions now.

Last edited:
I agree with Sasha's post. There are a ton of things in the public school system here, where you just fill out forms and you get for free what many other families are struggling to pay for (if you meet the requirements). That is probably not going to happen in this sport unless you have a nonprofit gym nearby or something (I don't know of any like that in my area). But with research, a willingness for the parent to sacrifice and the parent to take on some extra work it may be possible. Most of us are sacrificing a ton for our kids to be in this sport, and the same will be expected of her friend...no free rides. But she shouldn't give up either, there are some ways to make it happen if they want to and are willing to do what it takes....

Something I want to add from experience is the pressure the child may feel when she knows the family has made all of these serious sacrifices (financial and other) for her when/if she wants to quit down the road far into the situation. This was eluded to in the Gabby Douglas book, which did have a happy ending for them. However, that is the fairy tale. For that one story, there are many of us who made all of the sacrifices for our extremely talented gymnast and went the entire way all the way till the end and our gymnast (for whatever reasons-supported or not) decided not to take a college scholarship or walked away from the sport at the end. I cannot tell you how many parents I have heard over my lifetime in this sport tell me that after they "sacrificed everything" they wouldn't "allow" their child to quit. That is a slippery slope, to say the least. There is a lot of pressure on the gymnast to "succeed" when the sacrifice is so great. When you have others involved in the sacrifice (grandparents, gyms, relatives, siblings, etc.) you have to be very, very careful.

Last edited:
The REALITY of it all is that yes, the family can probably come up with some money somehow to pay for some classes. HOWEVER, if she is talented, like the poster said, she will be asked to team. There is where the issue will be. It will snowball from there. I have lived it and seen it time and time again. Yes, there are ways to minimize the expenses by gym choice, working, etc., but it's a matter of lifestyle choice and IF one wants to enter a world where you are sacrificing all for a sport. I think people need to understand what they are getting into when they start with a "few" classes.

I hope no one ever tells my kids their path is blocked because of our socioeconomic status.

I hope not either and I didn't mean for you to take it that way because you have found a way to make it work despite not having the disposable income but my point was that if the OP's friend is already balking at the costs with ONE REC CLASS, then she really needs to look at her situation and see if this is a viable option...there is no long term funding for gym costs available in the US so it falls back on the family. I would think that this family had already thought of the "what can I do to get the money" scenarios before she brought it up to her friend.

I'm sorry but certain things ARE blocked by one's socioeconomic status, and that's not necessarily a bad thing...I don't see the point in having a family go into hock for a beginner gymnast...when she could , at age 5, be guided down a more affordable path for her family situation.

Most gymnasts and many athletes aspiring to a high level in sports will only make it with sacrifice by their families and support from their parents or guardians. I think it must be worth those sacrifices today, this year, in order to do it. It should be about the great journey, and if it is, it's not a "wasted" sacrifice if it ends tomorrow. Any kid in a high level of a sport is one injury away from bring done.

It has to be about the "now" and that they are getting a lot out of the journey and experience NOW. If they aren't, then it is out of balance and the priorities are off kilter. It should be not be about a big payoff at the end. if it works out that way, awesome! But that should be the bonus or gravy, not the whole point of it.

Does your area offer other alternatives to gymnastics other than club gym? Many communities in my area offer classes through parks & rec (and they have teams too!). The teams aren't necessarily competing USAG but some do and all seem to feed into the local high school. The largest city in my area has a number of teams that are based out of several neighborhood parks. The teams from the parks compete against each other and they are judged by the athletes of a D3 team (loosely based on USAG rules).

Since when is socioeconomic status etched into our DNA?Your financial situation today is a starting point.It's not your destiny.

It may be tough to finance one rec class a week now.In two years time this mom may see a need in the gymnastics comunity such as professionaly edited sports videos.

If she has a smart phone and an internet connection she can take the first steps in video editing.She can educate herself.She can ask parents if they would like a free video made of their gymmies first year in gym.Her first efforts would be free.

After a year she would be good ,not great but good enough to charge a fee.She can buy her first gopro camera.She can edit videos of a BHS on beam seen from different angles,freeze-frame matrix style.

2 years later,she's really good,she crowdfunds her "parent of athlete film school".She's a business woman.......Just saying

I'm sorry but certain things ARE blocked by one's socioeconomic status, and that's not necessarily a bad thing...I don't see the point in having a family go into hock for a beginner gymnast...when she could , at age 5, be guided down a more affordable path for her family situation.

Actually,it's devastating.

You're missing the point of not having a family spend beyond their means, that's all.....and I don't think a parent should feel guilty for saying "I can't afford it" to their kid, period.

Actually, I agree with this. I tell my kids no all the time, to all sorts of things, and they know we don't spend frivolously because we can't afford to. When it comes to the big things, their education and their dreams, I will always find a way to the best they can achieve. For school that means a TINY apartment in a top ranked school zone, and for activities it means finding the scholarships that do exist and making the budget as free as possible for us.

Circumstances do change. When we moved from NY to CA we went from two incomes, with me making about 70k a year, to one income and a much higher rent area. At first I was devastated, but I have adapted and overcome, and am ready for whatever changes come from our next move. I know our circumstances aren't typical, but anyone's situation can change anytime- for better or worse.

Overpriced fashion statements are ALWAYS out of my budget.

Sports and culture,I'll make it happen.
@MILgymFAM ,I hear you.I've gone from one extreme to the other in a bat of an eyelid.

My opinion is that if they can afford the recreational class, keep her in it. No need to do anymore at this point. My daughter had three girls who had just started recreational classes within the past year walk on to her new level 4 team (so equivalent to old 5). They kicked butt at states. Part of me has been thinking, man, I wasted so much money starting them in pre-team at age 5! Although I am sure that these girls are the exception. But it is possible. If she really does have talent, it is not going anywhere.

We have two gymnasts (one team and one pre-team) and another one who will eventually be there too. We have six children. We could afford it, but it is a significant amount of money. So I babysit part-time to help pay tuition. It works for us, and it makes me feel better about not spending a big chunk of our "real" income on gymnastics. To give you an idea, when both of our girls are on team, we will be spending $800+ per month between tuition and assessments. It is a lot. And there are other ways for a talented tumbler to use her talent. Perhaps she would like cheerleading, tumbling, or taking an acro dance class instead. Or maybe Excel would be an option down the line. But for now, I am sure that her gym has different levels of recreational classes. And unless she is absolutely phenomenal, I think that this will suffice if the financial commitment would be too much of a burden for them. She can supplement with open gyms, clinics, camps, etc. when it is possible financially.

I think our gym offers some type of assistance. I watched a father's eyes become huge as the coach told him his daughter was ready to move up to team. She quickly mentioned there were scholarships available, but I don't know any details.

Some kids never get past rec due to cost, that is what it is. Kids sports are pricey. My kids were limited in some activities due to cost, even hough they may have excelled.

I always tell my kids that the kids who get to the olympics are the fortunate ones. That there are probably a million children living in slums the world over who could have been way better athletes given half the chance.

Tough for sure, but an unfortunate reality.

I suggest she continues to enjoy her rec class and sees where life takes her.

@bogwoppit... your post made me tear up. Several of our children are adopted from a third world country. Our pre-teamer is exceptionally strong for her age. From carrying water. Our little one who is abnormally strong and flexible for her age (almost three) will be an amazing gymnast, I think. She was found abandoned and starving. Sometimes it just breaks me up inside to think about how they could have very easily not have access to any of this. Even the most naturally gifted athlete can't do what they do without money, it's sad, honestly. At this same time, it reminds me that gymnastics is still just "stuff" that no one actually needs to survive (okay, my kids may say differently...). I am thankful that we can give them this opportunity. But if we couldn't, it is certainly not something worth going into debt over (or creating unnecessary stress over) if there are no other options not to. Five year olds need love and encouragement. If she is naturally strong and competitive, she may very well be good at a ton of other sports that are much more easily affordable.

I hope not either and I didn't mean for you to take it that way because you have found a way to make it work despite not having the disposable income but my point was that if the OP's friend is already balking at the costs with ONE REC CLASS, then she really needs to look at her situation and see if this is a viable option...there is no long term funding for gym costs available in the US so it falls back on the family. I would think that this family had already thought of the "what can I do to get the money" scenarios before she brought it up to her friend.

But in several states, there are YMCA gyms with high level programs... It depends on where the family is located. For Team level gymnastics at our YMCA (including YMCA Youth Membership, the new comp leo, warm ups, bag, gym time, meet fees, travel, etc) the most that a parent would pay for any one gymnast in a year is $3000. The figure I am stating is actually rounded up to the nearest 1000.
Quite frequently, people get a family membership, especially if they have 3 or more children. So for a family of 5, the family membership would average to $100 less per person per year. Some parents work with the rec program classes and another parent works at the Y itself. All of these positions come with a paycheck AND a free adult membership... which they can upgrade to a family membership for less than the cost of a youth membership. That makes the cost of a membership for a family of 5 $200 less than I calculated.
The YMCA offers scholarships based on financial need - does not affect college eligibility. The scholarship can be applied to the membership fees and the gym time.
My figure is also taking hotel stays for every away meet into account, but we only had 1 hotel stay so far this season - and it was technically unnecessary. We will have another one for Nationals, but that is not a required meet (so, forgoing Nationals, take $1000 off the amount).
The HC also allows parents to help with cleaning the gym to reduce costs some.

A YMCA program might be the answer for the OP, if there is a GOOD one nearby. IF not, then she needs to look hard to find a way or see if her daughter would be interested in something else.

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes, I think they can handle the costs of rec and plan to continue with that indefinitely -but they are also wondering if team will ever be an option for their daughter.

But in several states, there are YMCA gyms with high level programs... It depends on where the family is located. For Team level gymnastics at our YMCA (including YMCA Youth Membership, the new comp leo, warm ups, bag, gym time, meet fees, travel, etc) the most that a parent would pay for any one gymnast in a year is $3000.

A YMCA program might be the answer for the OP, if there is a GOOD one nearby. IF not, then she needs to look hard to find a way or see if her daughter would be interested in something else.

I agree with this Raenndrops as it being their most affordable option but even $3000/yr might be a figure the family still can't manage if they are struggling to pay for one rec class....but I don't see it getting any cheaper than this. And in going back and looking at the original post , it says that the little girl is "almost 5", so she's a 4 year old, not even a kindergartener, and has plenty of time to get involved in activities, either through a Y, town or school program , that won't bring her family the financial stress that gymnastics would....

I think in this whole discussion , we need to realize that we're not pulling the rug out on a 14 year old who's been in the gymnastics world, but a little kid, a 4 year old, who would probably be open to doing anything "fun" ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back