Do you think Gymnastics highers your grades?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you think Gymnastics highers your grades? What were your grades before to now?
Mine used to be b's and c's
now since i've just started gymnastics (at 12) my marks have bin improving is this just luck to me or does my gymnastics actually have a positive affect of my school work?

Thanks

It does have some efect on your grades. Gymnastics teaches you discipline and hard work what make syou have the determation to do your best in everything you do including your school work. I couln't tell you if it highers my grades because i have been doing gymnastics my whole life. For myself i always do my best and sometimes it can be overwelming. There can be negative effects along with the postives. Sometimes you don't have enough time ot do your homework and this can cuase problems with grades and schoolwork. But for you it seems like it has been a positive effect on you and your grades have become higher. I hope this answers you question.

Do you think Gymnastics highers your grades? What were your grades before to now?
Mine used to be b's and c's
now since i've just started gymnastics (at 12) my marks have bin improving is this just luck to me or does my gymnastics actually have a positive affect of my school work?

Thanks

My theory is that it improves most aspects of academic performance - with the possible exception of grammar. :D

I agree with "happyfacetwin"

When I was in gym I was definitely motivated not only to keep my grades up because my mom said I had to in order to stay in gym, but also for self satisfaction. Gymnastics teaches you self discipline, and motivation so it is likely that your grades will improve, unless you get caught up in too much school work (don't worry about that until you get into high school). To be an all around good student and gymnast is something that one can take great personal satisfaction in, so keep up the good work girlie!! :)

another thing that you'll probably be forced to learn when you do competitive gymnastics is time management :) i am in high school and i get my work done where as my friends who do nothing after school dont get everything done...i train 6 days a week so i know that i have to do all my h/w and assignments on sundays or if i have a competition, at another time so i never get stuck trying to finish assignments the night before they are due :)

In primary my mark where the same but now at high school i am soo organised because i do so much gym i have learnt so much time management all the girlz are like how do you do soo much gym and can still fit in all your homework
I just learnt to get it done soo you can study so you don't need to stay up late the night before.

It has been found that kids who do gymnastics get better grades at school, in fact kids who participate in sport in general tend to do better at school. When you get regular exercise and are fit and healthy you will concentrate better and learn more easily.

It is particularly the case with gymnastics because it uses the whole body in a variety of different ways, this helps to switch on different parts of your brain to learn better.

Don't know if it brings up grades but I do know all the gymnasts I know of are honor roll or high honors students. I think it has to do with gymnasts drive being applied to school work and all areas of their lives. I think you have to be driven and a perfectionist for gymnastics and so far I haven't met a gymnast who isn't both.

It has been found that kids who do gymnastics get better grades at school, in fact kids who participate in sport in general tend to do better at school. When you get regular exercise and are fit and healthy you will concentrate better and learn more easily.

It is particularly the case with gymnastics because it uses the whole body in a variety of different ways, this helps to switch on different parts of your brain to learn better.
Yeah, I certainly observed this exact same thing (underscored above). Participation in competitive sports (not so much recreational) in general helps if the kid also makes school a priority. This is particularly true with more seasoned and older athletes.

I think there is a combination of factors . Here are a few of them (including those fore-mentioned) that I can think of that make them well rounded:

• time management skills
  • healthier mind and body
  • less negative distraction/influence from outside of school
  • applied cognitive skills (mental and physical) - thus cross training is good
  • independent learning and practicing skills
  • applied observation skills
  • and most of all, attitude towards learning and working towards success
In additional to this, for reasons that I can't explain, good students are so much more common amongst gymnasts. Almost without exceptions, gymnasts (at least females because those are the only ones I deal with) take pride in their school work and have good or exceptional grades.

Yes. Participation in gymnastics may improve grades, but it definitely doesn’t “higherâ€￾ them.
Maybe she meant "hire".
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Maybe she meant "hire".
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
i don't think she meant hire as hire spelt h - i - r - e means rent so no gymnastics won't rent your grades. i think she meant heightens if we must stick to the word high but improves would have been a better word.

Back to the original topic i think it can either rapidly improve or rapidly decline in quality. this is because some people can't cope with the hours and homework. However others thrive on a busy lifestyle so while some people will ace school others may find themselves failing

no, by "higher" she meant raise. to "hire" means to hire, as in give, someone a job.

and i thought i posted already and can't find it.

yes, any activity like a sport, music, or other serious endeavor will make you a better student. this translates to better grades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was the exception. I was a gymnast from 3rd grade until 10th grade and I struggled in school. Would I have done worse without gymnastics? Who knows. I do think the discipline learned from gymnastics, or any other serious sport/extracurricular activity, is beneficial to many children in a school environment, but at least in my case, there was little or no effect and I have a hard time believing I'm the only one in that position.

I'm with everyone else--I don't think you automatically become smarter when you do gymnastics, but I do think you learn better time management skills--and get your homework done, projects started etc. both my gymnasts are straight A students. Their two siblings are not--not any less smart, but just much poorer time management skills.

Looks like my dry humor failed me again.:scratchchin:

I got it. At my dd's old gym, I would sometimes hear the girls ask their coach to "higher" the beam. I would ask them "why would she hire the beam? What kind of job do you think it could do?"

For all of you pointing out this girl's poor grammar, I'd like to politely remind you that English might not be her native language. As a former English teacher, that was my impression anyway. Her incorrect usage of prepositions, in my opinion, suggested someone less familiar with the idiomatic and subtle differences between them. But, I could be wrong, maybe English is her native language. Though I notice she has not chimed in since her first post, which suggests to me maybe she's too embarrassed to write again.

Just saying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back