WAG Elite Track Necessary?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This may have been posted somewhere else, but I cannot seem to find it using my search terms, so here goes...

Is an elite track program necessary for a gymnast to reach elite level? DD's gym does not have an elite track as it is a smaller gym--11 optionals girls. I have been told by parents at bigger, 'powerhouse' gyms that DD has a load of talent and potential and she should really be in an elite track program (but I have absolutely no clue what this is exactly).

(If it matters, all her coaches are former Olympians/elite national team members).

Not 'necessary,' but definitely helpful if that is the path you would choose for your child. Seems like you may be new here, and maybe to gymnastics itself. I would/and do caution anyone that thinks elite gymnastics is some place they would like for their children to educate themselves thoroughly before embarking on that journey. Good luck to you both. :)

If the gym has no intention of elite then your child will not go elite. However not to be rude, but parents have no clue what is required for elite. That being said you can always have her evaluated. How old is she and what are her skills at this point? Edit , just to be clear, if the gym does have intention for elite but no established track then it is totally possible.

Her coach does want an elite program...at some point. But it is a small gym and I'm not sure the drive is there for the coach. (For DD, there is no question...don't even ask her!)

DD is just shy of 11 and has all her level 7 skills and some level 8 skills (she can do BHS/BHS on beam and clear hip handstand and pirouettes on bars; she working tucks on floor beams, fulls on trampoline, tsuk's on vault, front-front on floor (lands the second one in a squat).

That sounds like all of our rising 7's and half our current L5's. None of which are on the elite track nor even imagined to be so. I don't want to sound pessimistic and I'm sure your DD is quite talented, but (and I could be wrong) I associate the elite track with girls who are truly exceptionally precocious and hard working.

For example, we have one girl at our gym who just turned 10. This is her second year of competing L9, she has been invited to The Ranch every year since she was eligible (barring one year when she was seriously ill during testing). Even she does not truly have Elite quality. We do have two little ones who just turned 8, are skipping a few levels (will be competing 7 or 8 this year) and are also doing well in TOPs... These girls I could imagine would possibly be candidates for HOPES and then pre-elite/elite. Time will tell. We do not have Elite training in our area, but we could certainly do HOPES with them and take it from there....

The Elite track is incredibly intense for both the athlete and the family. It's not something I would personally choose for my kid, but I'm the mom of a regular garden variety gymnast (10yo L5 who is doing well but no shining super star by any means) and happy with that. Gymnastics has been incredibly valuable for my gymmie already and I'm happy to take it as far as she wants to go. When her drive and desire to continue isn't there anymore, so be it, and she will take so many important life skills with her learned from gymnastics.
Best of luck! Try no to get too "starry eyed", take a long, hard, realistic look at what Elite would entail and whether your child truly has what it takes to even possibly start a track like that...

This may have been posted somewhere else, but I cannot seem to find it using my search terms, so here goes...

Is an elite track program necessary for a gymnast to reach elite level? DD's gym does not have an elite track as it is a smaller gym--11 optionals girls. I have been told by parents at bigger, 'powerhouse' gyms that DD has a load of talent and potential and she should really be in an elite track program (but I have absolutely no clue what this is exactly).

(If it matters, all her coaches are former Olympians/elite national team members).
The short answer to this is yes. If you want to be an Elite level gymnast you have to be in a program suited towards this goal. Not all gyms are equipped or qualified to train elite gymnasts, some wont offer the elite program because its so expensive to run. I would suggest finding a gym that offers an elite program and have your dd evaluated. Good luck to you.

Dd is 13, a lev 10. She is still hoping to go the elite route. She never did Tops or Hopes, the gyms we were at didn't do that. She started mom and tot age 2. She did levels 4-10. Most girls she began with have left the sport. LOTS of people dropped out at level 9. Some never got there. She wants to be a Div 1 college gymnast. She has been injured and suffered drama. I never know from day to day what her end result might be. But I support her the very best I can in her dreams. The road to elite is long and uncertain. Dd is not the gymnast at lev 10 that she was at lev 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.. Her coach sev years ago told me he thought she had elite potential, at about level 5. But I wouldn't say she is on an official track. In her mind she is, since that's her goal. Her current coach knows her goal and told her what she needs to do this year to prepare. We do have a successful elite presently in our gym.

Thanks for the replies! I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask. Her coach has said she has elite potential (she has the right attitude and work ethic, mixed with natural talent and perfectionism), but their gym is small and relatively new. There are a few gyms here (I think) who have elite gymnasts so I will call them and have her evaluated. At this point DD is the one who wants it more than I do as I have no clue about anything past level 10.

Thanks for the replies! I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask. Her coach has said she has elite potential (she has the right attitude and work ethic, mixed with natural talent and perfectionism), but their gym is small and relatively new. There are a few gyms here (I think) who have elite gymnasts so I will call them and have her evaluated. At this point DD is the one who wants it more than I do as I have no clue about anything past level 10.
With some gymies including dd they are only identified as being an elite gymnast after the elite coaches observe them training over a period of time- this is particularly true of older girls who have a smaller skill set, ( in dd's case because she was only training limited hours) but who do have raw talent, great work ethic, perfectionism and are competitive. These attributes only become apparent over time not on an initial assessment, so if your dd is truly passionate about training at an elite level I would enrol her in a gym offering an elite pathway even if the initial assessment does not select her- this way she may be selected as they observe her training. However elite training is huge -be very sure you both want this before you start- but it's also lots of fun -dd thinks she's the luckiest little girl ever because she gets to do her favourite activity so many hours a week, and it's certainly saved the furniture:)

To the OP, I def think it is a good decision to have your DD evaluated at an elite track gym. Unfortunately, your gym owner or HC may just be telling you what he/she thinks you want to hear ("we can take your DD elite/we intend to have an elite program some day/ we are going to start that program for your DD").

Ultimately, you may have to move your DD to the elite gym, start her in the JO program and have her "try out " again for the elite program from within the gym. That's sometimes how these things work. Don't be discouraged.

However, she may decide the elite gym is not for her, or the gym may not accept her. These gyms tend to be pretty choosy. Good luck!

Ultimately, you may have to move your DD to the elite gym, start her in the JO program and have her "try out " again for the elite program from within the gym. That's sometimes how these things work. Don't be discouraged.

However, she may decide the elite gym is not for her

I am hoping this is the case...I believe this should be her decision and not something she is discouraged from doing because of the sacrifice required.

Elite track..... not so much.

Elite in the heart....... absolutely.

You'll know your child has elite potential when she proves it to you every day for the next 10 years. Somewhere during that time you'll feel compelled to get her into an elite program because she needs the program to support what she's already doing.

Elite track..... not so much.

Elite in the heart....... absolutely.

You'll know your child has elite potential when she proves it to you every day for the next 10 years. Somewhere during that time you'll feel compelled to get her into an elite program because she needs the program to support what she's already doing.

I think this is about the best way I've heard it summed up for kids that aren't at a gym with an Elite program.

From what I have heard, if a parent REALLY wants their child to go elite (meaning be considered for the national team) then they need to be at a gym that has recognized elite coaches. The child's talent apparently is not enough; you need to be with coaches who can get Valeri Liuken to look at their gymnasts. It is also about who you know...

I will only add that if the skills are not worked to pass the compulsory portion then a child has no chance. Particularly on bars.
Here are the requirements on bars for the compulsory portion.
Straight body cast, 2nd straight body cast to pirouette. 2 circling elements to H stand, (freehip, toe shoot, stalder). Blind change and front giants . These are the basics required.

Reactions: sce
From what I have heard, if a parent REALLY wants their child to go elite (meaning be considered for the national team) then they need to be at a gym that has recognized elite coaches. The child's talent apparently is not enough; you need to be with coaches who can get Valeri Liuken to look at their gymnasts. It is also about who you know...

Do you think this is ALWAYS true? I remember reading about Shawn Johnson's story, and my impression was that Chow wasn't a nationally well-known coach at the time that she was trying to go elite. I'm sure it is extremely difficult to break into the 'club' so to speak, but if the OP's gym has coaches who are former Olympians, wouldn't that count for something? That is how Kim Zmeskal began her gym, right? On her reputation as a former Olympian? I really have no knowledge about this at all - it's just the impression I've gotten. I'm sure someone will correct me if this isn't accurate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back