WAG Fast twitch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
None of the top 20 800 runners were top 20 100m runners. 100m takes 10 seconds, yep 400 and 800 are "sprints " too, but very different in some ways due to the time in the race.

Of course not. Generally it's split between 100/200, 400/800 and 800/1600/3200. Some 100/200 runners may run the 400. Most Elites will hate the 400, because the 400 is evil and I doubt most 100/200 runners will do the 400 in Collegiate.

The 400 crosses into the aerobic energy pathway rather than just running on ATP and phosphagen-creatine/glycolytic which last 25-35 seconds. You generally run a fast pace saving something for the last stretch. If you were me, you then collapse on the infield or throw up and lay on the infield until you feel like getting up and going back to camp. Or sometimes you throw up on the way back to camp. Pretty common in the 400 and 800. woo!

they obviously would not compete both (100 and 800) in an important meet. you wanna focus on what you trained for.

At my HighSchool , it' wasn't uncommon for the 800-3200m runners run the 400 to score points for their teams or run slower relays for points.

If you were a sprinter at my HS, you might run a 100, 200, and 400 or 4x100 or 4x400 all in the same day. It kind of depends when they go off and such and how our sprinters were feeling. This doesn't happen at the collegiate level, but it does happen at the High School level.

Apologies if this is answered on other threads but I've noticed some discussions were slow and fast twitch are mentioned.

Can someone explain the difference and how you can tell if your daughter has either please? I remember one of our coaches discussing it in an induction meeting saying for elite they look for a fast twitch but had no idea what she was on about!

Okay I am going to start by saying this was a major part of my biochemistry course so this is probably more detail than you need to know but for people looking in the future it might be useful.

Fast twitch muscles are muscles that work for very explosive movements, think 100m sprint, tumbling, vault etc. There properties include fast contraction, greater contractile force (strength) and have a higher density of contractile proteins. However, the fatigue faster. In these cells respiration is mainly anaerobic i.e. there is no mitochondria involved. Anaerobic is where glucose is converted to lactate (what is known as lactic acid - or the stuff that makes you sore) which releases approximately 2 ATP (Think of ATP as energy units)/glucose molecule. So think of fast twitch as explosive but not lasting.

Slow twitch muscles contract slower and generate a lower force on contraction with lower density of contractile proteins. They do, however, have a much greater endurance level than fast twitch. This is because it undergoes aerobic respiration - that is, where glucose is converted to intermediates that enter the mitochondria that undergo several reactions producing a lot more energy. However, this process is slower and requires a lot of oxygen. This form of respiration is much more effective in that it will create more ATP from one glucose molecule but it will take longer to produce it. The ATP yield is approximately 32 ATP. These muscles may use different fuels other than glucose such as fatty acids and ketone bodies

Not everyone is all one type. Even muscle groups differ. The typical quadricep is 50% fast twitch and 50% slow twitch. Your soleus (in your calf) is primarily slow twitch.

In your typical sprinter you will have 20% slow twitch and 80% fast twitch.

In your 1500m runner it will be approximately 50% each

In your marathon runner it will be approximately 80% slow twitch, 20% fast twitch.

As for identifying what type of muscle you have, I am 95% certain that the only way to know for certain is to cut someone open and have a look (Not very ethical!) but you can generally see the difference - have a look at your olympic sprinters vs your marathon runners. Also just by looking at strengths of an athlete, are they super explosive but lacking in endurance or can they go forever but lack that explosiveness?

Hope the science wasn't too much

Okay I am going to start by saying this was a major part of my biochemistry course so this is probably more detail than you need to know but for people looking in the future it might be useful.

Fast twitch muscles are muscles that work for very explosive movements, think 100m sprint, tumbling, vault etc. There properties include fast contraction, greater contractile force (strength) and have a higher density of contractile proteins. However, the fatigue faster. In these cells respiration is mainly anaerobic i.e. there is no mitochondria involved. Anaerobic is where glucose is converted to lactate (what is known as lactic acid - or the stuff that makes you sore) which releases approximately 2 ATP (Think of ATP as energy units)/glucose molecule. So think of fast twitch as explosive but not lasting.

Slow twitch muscles contract slower and generate a lower force on contraction with lower density of contractile proteins. They do, however, have a much greater endurance level than fast twitch. This is because it undergoes aerobic respiration - that is, where glucose is converted to intermediates that enter the mitochondria that undergo several reactions producing a lot more energy. However, this process is slower and requires a lot of oxygen. This form of respiration is much more effective in that it will create more ATP from one glucose molecule but it will take longer to produce it. The ATP yield is approximately 32 ATP. These muscles may use different fuels other than glucose such as fatty acids and ketone bodies

Not everyone is all one type. Even muscle groups differ. The typical quadricep is 50% fast twitch and 50% slow twitch. Your soleus (in your calf) is primarily slow twitch.

In your typical sprinter you will have 20% slow twitch and 80% fast twitch.

In your 1500m runner it will be approximately 50% each

In your marathon runner it will be approximately 80% slow twitch, 20% fast twitch.

As for identifying what type of muscle you have, I am 95% certain that the only way to know for certain is to cut someone open and have a look (Not very ethical!) but you can generally see the difference - have a look at your olympic sprinters vs your marathon runners. Also just by looking at strengths of an athlete, are they super explosive but lacking in endurance or can they go forever but lack that explosiveness?

Hope the science wasn't too much

Great explanation! Exercise physiology major here, so maybe you are speaking my language!?! haha..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back