Parents Frustrating season finally over-vent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD and a friend of hers have recently become each others support system at gym. They are a bit older than your DD, but not tons. Both had had winning seasons in past then hit difficulties (for DD mental/vestibular, for friend form and injuries - but it really doesn't matter - suffice it to say they have had to figure out what it means to be a "good gymnast who's struggling")

DD told me yesterday that she and her friend decided that only they can overcome the "obstacles" that are holding them back. That "its not just important for gymnastics, mom, its important for life". They've committed to each other to try through summer to get all their ducks in a row for a good L8 season next year. They are focusing on ignoring the bullying, pushing each other to work on what they struggle with (which is totally different for each girl - in fact, if DD strength, form, and work ethic were combined with her friends build and willingness to chuck stuff we'd have a phenom!), trying to forget what they were taught in old gym and get whatever help new coaches can give, etc....

Us mom's are trying to stay in the backround...

Your DD is the perfect age to be where she is - plenty of time to repeat a few optional levels (which is the norm, NOT the exception), build confidence, correct form, go through a few growth spurts and injuries, bad years, hormones, etc - and still enjoy a full gym career with the possibility of college gym/level 10, whatever....My DD almost went L8 at age 10/11 - at the time I thought it would be great idea, as she was learning fast, just starting early growth spurt, and I had always been told "move them fast before puberty" - she held back, had a really successful second year at L7 and had things been different with coaching would have confidently moved up to L8 this year and done well....but new challenges occurred (as they do in life) that had nothing to do with her effort or attitude (gym closed, old coach lying, bully at new gym, puberty, etc...life stuff)

All that is to say that its easy to "say" why an off season is "good" for them to go through, but its super hard as a parent to be supportive and always say the "right thing"....

I won't pretend its not hard to see other girls winning L8 events with skills she did in L7 and is having trouble going for now. I won't pretend its easy as a mom to see her have an off day and slide to the back of the group rather than back tumble, and then hear that the new coach thought she needed spotting - and he commented that she must be her brother's sister (DS has amazing height on his tumbling), and laughed when her back tuck went over his head (she's 4 ft 9). I won't pretend I'm not secretly thrilled if I wander into practice to pay for something and see her doing standing front tucks with the L9s and laughing....or feeling secretly like hitting a wall if what she's doing is Kip cast handstands with the L7s...because she won't work on her more advanced bar skills without a pit bar and we don't have one yet....

BUT It's Not my Gymnastics - It's hers...and my goal is for her to keep doing it as long as she is learning and growing as a person there....so good season/bad season is all part of it....good luck!

If my girl pulls off her goals, she too will be a very young level 6...and achieving that will make me so happy for her...she will probably be close to dfl in everything but if she makes level 6, well, that will be a successful season. We are not in it to win it, though she has done so a few times it is not her norm. She does it because she loves it and lives for it. Placing in events is an added bonus that is not expected or required for a successful season.:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back