WAG Gym "terms"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm new to competitive gymnastics with my DD and at the gym yesterday a mom mentioned a girl on another team "scratching" on bars. I had no clue what this meant so she explained it but it got me thinking about other terms I've heard my DD and have no idea what they mean. Like "hollow body" and "lever". When I ask her she tries to explain but ends up rolling her eyes and giving me the "oh mom..." I thought I would ask yall about "gym terms" I need to know. Because the rare moments when she Initiates gym conversation I want to be prepared!

Scratching an event means the gymnasts will not perform that event at the meet. Hollow body is a body shape, mainly in the torso where her upper back is rounded and her hips are tucked under And abs are contracted. As oppose to an arched back.
And a lever is a technique used to enter into ( or out of) a skill ,such as a handstand. Difficult to explain in words that would paint a good picture. it's also called "T" lever Since the body uses the shape of a T.

84749.jpg

hollow body

Stick around, you'll learn so much more!
The other day DD was telling me how Susie from level 5 can do a Yurchenko vault. I felt so proud that I knew what she was talking about. LOL
Haha! And when she's actually in a mood to tell me about something in gym I don't wanna ruin by asking "what is that" every 5 minutes!

GP -

As level 10 parents, we do still call some skills the "flippy thing" except now it is the flippy thing on bars, beam, etc. And now at this level the "flippy things" are way more dangerous and gasp-inducing. We have learned how to hold our breath for the 45 seconds she is on bars. I think the one term that took us the longest was the "tap swing" or "knowing when to tap" on bars; in reality, there is no "tapping (the striking of one thing on another)" actually happening. You will also find that some things have different names but it is all the same.

Good luck, hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask on here.

GP -

As level 10 parents, we do still call some skills the "flippy thing" except now it is the flippy thing on bars, beam, etc. And now at this level the "flippy things" are way more dangerous and gasp-inducing. We have learned how to hold our breath for the 45 seconds she is on bars. I think the one term that took us the longest was the "tap swing" or "knowing when to tap" on bars; in reality, there is no "tapping (the striking of one thing on another)" actually happening. You will also find that some things have different names but it is all the same.

Good luck, hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask on here.

Ha! That sounds like me, the flippy thing, the jump thing, the upside down thing. Mine is only level 1 but an hour after her practice begins, the upper levels come in and I can't stop watching them. I hold my breath and they aren't even my children!!

@Georgiapeach , be prepared, if you see one of the older girls get an injury, you will want to run down there and coddle them lol. Happened to me a couple times. and also if the girls just cannot get a skill and you can see them trying to hold in tears, its just heartbreaking.

@Georgiapeach , be prepared, if you see one of the older girls get an injury, you will want to run down there and coddle them lol. Happened to me a couple times. and also if the girls just cannot get a skill and you can see them trying to hold in tears, its just heartbreaking.

So this. A few weeks back one of our L9 girls was struggling with her floor tumbling passes. The more she struggled the more she cried, the more she cried, the harder it was. My heart was breaking for her. Luckily, one of the coaches wrapped her arms around her and talked to her. It didn't change the struggle, but I did feel like as a parent someone was managing this teenage girls emotions and recognizing that they are important too.

Reactions: COz
So this. A few weeks back one of our L9 girls was struggling with her floor tumbling passes. The more she struggled the more she cried, the more she cried, the harder it was. My heart was breaking for her. Luckily, one of the coaches wrapped her arms around her and talked to her. It didn't change the struggle, but I did feel like as a parent someone was managing this teenage girls emotions and recognizing that they are important too.
I have seen some of the older girls cry and struggle and just like you said, the harder they cry, the more they struggle which leads to harder crying! It IS heartbreaking. And when they finally get the skill or whatever they are working on, I wanna stand up and clap! I'm sure it's so stressful but rewarding at the same time. I admire them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back