Coaches Help!!! How to teach routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

monkeygymnast

Coach
Proud Parent
Hello,

I really need your help to teach kid floor and beam routines.

I am level 2 coach.
I have been pre team coach for last a couple years.

One of my girls can't remember routine yet. She is 5 years old. (almost 6)
I broke down routine, repeating, when work routine we said routine loud together, I made print routine gave her mom then they can practice at home.
I made time to teach her routine ono on one when we had regular practice time. But I have another kids also.

The girl has frustration and she is up set and told me she can't remember with tears. She really wants compete this season. I want to help make her wish. But I don't know how.
I try show her roitine video and make pictures and put on the floor.

Anyone have some ideas?
Thank you.

Start by going back and reteaching the first 3-4 movements. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Next practice, teach the next 3-4 movement. Repeat a billion times. Add on to previous part. Repeat. Do this until she gets it. It's likely that at her age, it's just too much at once.

Thank you.
Yes i did repeting. Like a floor routine, one day "step kick handstand lunge pose , running round off 3 setps" then next practice " candle pike back roll stand up, pike sit and candle stick, pike sit lay down bridge kick over lunge pose"
Also make station routine order.
Then next practice we tryed first half routine together. Another kids remember what we did but the girl is not.

I will go back to start and repeating again.

If more ideas pleae give me advice!!!

Let her "shadow" one of the more proficient gymnasts in the group for a while. Every time they do routines, they do it together so the younger girl can mimic the other girl. Be patient, it may take a while.

It could help to use fewer words and cues. Just work on accomplishing the basics now like handstand, roundoff instead of step kick, lunge, etc.
It sounds like you're doing great things with pictures, printouts, cues, etc. Hopefully it will just click one day soon!

When is the first meet?

I think if she really wants to compete, sit down with mom, explain that while her skills are OK she's struggling with routines. Personally I think I'd hold her back a couple of meets rather than have her stressed about remembering, at this age meets should be about fun. Or go out on the floor with her to prompt and take the deduction.

If mom wants to go ahead with competing, give her a video and get her to run through 3 skills a day. Week one, first 3 skills, week two, second 3 etc. then join the first 6 skills, then the second 6 until she has the whole thing. She's not to make corrections or coach ;), purely working through the running order.

Thank you!!! Next weekend was first meey for my girls, but I decided I won't take her the meet. I talked to Mom and next month will be her first meet.
I agree with you about meet should be fun for them.

She and her mom, both of them want she compete. But they lost 3 times the routines paper so they said ahe couldn't practice at home and every time i geve new one. Now her mom said they are busy to make time to do it, or not space to do it. So i suggested when they watch tv commercials time they can do without skills but saying skills.
Also, she can't focus when I teaching. She look another way or starting something else.
i try work, like a put sticker good leg, give awards for heard woker, made new skills, e.t.c.

I will ask her mom they can watch the routines video at home.

When my little 6 year old was learning her routines the coach would mix in fun wording like for the poses things she could remember better like cute girl, dancer things that she came up with that reminded her of the moves, things quickly came together when she thought of them in her own words?

She and her mom, both of them want she compete. But they lost 3 times the routines paper so they said ahe couldn't practice at home and every time i geve new one. Now her mom said they are busy to make time to do it, or not space to do it. So i suggested when they watch tv commercials time they can do without skills but saying skills.
Also, she can't focus when I teaching. She look another way or starting something else.

I'd tell her mom she needs another year to mature then.

I wa going to suggest the same thing. I didn't think my dd would remember either so that's the way she was taught. She was taught by my older daughter who is also a coach.

What doesn't she remember? Any of it?

I would just pair her off as someone else suggested to shadow, and then tell the mom she can't compete until she can remember the routine independently.

You could try starting the routine from the end, so that she always knows what comes next. This is how I teach routines to very young kids (and sometimes adults! ;) ) who struggle to remember them;

Work skills 9&10 (trampoline routines only have 10 moves, idk about WAG!) in order, until they know it.
Then add skill 8 at the beginning, so they are doing 8,9,10. And then add skill 7 at the beginning, and so on. This works better than adding moves at the end because of the primacy and recency effects of memory recall; we are more likely to remember the first and last things we are told but not the bits in the middle. Doing it this way means that they already know the bit in the middle because that was previously the last inning they were told, and they've now done it several times over and committed it to long term memory.

Hope this helps!

Tha you for helping to all of you!!!

last week made pictures and put on floor for floor routine. And first a couple of skills over and over and over....
and beam we did all girls together with saying skills loud(not whole rutine)
She seems remember but last practice she forgot all of them.... so let her routine with another kids. Then she started different things( like non stopping cartwheels ). A girl with her was noy happy working.with her...
I talked her mom let she watch routine video at home.
I told her if she doesn' remember routines she won't compete then she is up set. And still she wants her daughter compete.
I told about the gym's owers also, and they agreed.
I have 4girls in my team and one of them just starts last month( she is same age with the girl) but she already got.

Next week i try teach her from end of routine.

Hi, everyone!! Thanks for a lot of advices to teaching routine. Yes, she did!! We did end of routine for beam for warm up. And floor we said skills loud together and over and over and over....
Not perfect but she did!!!!
My girls will have meet this weekend, and I am so excited!!!
Thank you so much for helping us!!!!!!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back