Parents How do you become a judge?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastmama

Proud Parent
Hello, I have 3 little girls who are in gymnastics, I absolutely LOVE the sport so much. I used to be a gymnast myself but never competed. Anyway, a dream job of mine would be to become a judge someday. Does anyone know the steps on what I would need to do to accomplish this? I did some googling but didn't find much.

Google your state's name + USAG.... MN usag, or whichever region + usag. You should find contact info for the state board members, and that's a good place to start.

Minnesota's site is mnusag.com. On the right side of the top of the screen is a link that says "Administration" hover on that, then scroll down to Judges. There is a ton of information on that pages (links, etc.) including one that brings you to the NAWGJ (National Association of Women's Gymnastics Judges) which must have information for you.

I would start with this link. The site lists the overall process and dates and locations for testing.

Steps to Becoming a Women’s Gymnastics Judge - National Association of Women’s Gymnastics Judges

I used the Gymquest software from the website when I was studying for the level 5/6 exam and I found it very helpful. I have no idea if the software will be updated for the upcoming cycle changes. The next level exams (7/8) also include video testing. If you really want to judge, then you'll need both levels because most meets include all levels or other optional programs.

Does anyone have any idea how judging certification is impacted by upcoming routine changes?

One practical observation as a parent after taking the exam. It certainly helped me better understand what was wrong and what the scoring impact was. However, at the end of the day, it's completely up to the coaches and gymnast to implement corrections. Most parents are best served to stay as far away as possible from the coaching game ... .

I've thought that maybe after DD finishes with the sport, I might think about training as a judge. Then again, I may be just as happy to NEVER go to another gymnastics meet for as long as I live. :p But I would never do it while she's still doing gymnastics. Partially for the reasons vagymmommy mentioned... I want to remain the cheerleader and not start feeling compelled to tell her where she lost a 10th of point. But also because meet season is already MORE than busy enough as it is!

Great, this helps a lot! I wouldn't become a judge until after all of my girls are out of the sport, at least until they are in college gymnastics anyway, I wouldn't want to be a coach to them, nor would I want to miss any of their meets to judge other children. But someday I definitely would love it! Thanks everyone for the info!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back