Parents How do you feel about youtube?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would I do it? - No! I've never posted anything of my daughter's anywhere and can't imagine wanting to. She'd basically kill me anyway! That's why I love this site, because I can secretly indulge in discussing her gymnastics without feeling guilty or anyone knowing who she is or her finding out.

My daughter turns 13 in 7 months. She hasn't expressed any interest in being on Chalk Bucket, and it's not something I will encourage (mostly because this is MY place), but I do have some fears that she will get on here and "find" me and go back and see things I've posted (especially puberty-related posts! :eek:) and KILL me. I may have to think about a profile name and pic change in the near future...

We have used it on locked-down private settings just to share with far-away relatives. Or we will just email the videos directly so they are not out there at all. I try to avoid the "amazing Suzy" videos, especially when dd might watch, because they make dd feel bad. She does like watching the "hot shots" at the meets we attend because their ability is theoretically attainable by the girls on my dd's team. Dd does not need to see 4yos on youtube that well outshine anything she, as a almost 10 yo, will ever be able to do. Not that we don't appreciate amazing talent and dedication, dd was glued to the Olympic games just like every other gymnast in the world, but she does not need to think that every other gymnast in the world is better than she will ever be. A few too many youtube videos can give that impression to kids that don't really have a grasp on the true size of the world and the sport. I prefer to keep her perspective within the gym world she participates in....which is FAR different than even most posters here live in. In my dd's gym world, L7 is AMAZING to watch in person and her biggest goal is to make the new L5 sometime before she outgrows the sport (she is currently....barely....a new L4). I am not sure if I would feel differently if dd was on a more progressive gym track.

Or maybe I am......

My dd could be considered one of those "amazing Suzy" kids in another activity. I always feel bad when another kid or parent approaches me/dd and wants to know age/level details and am VERY careful to avoid anything that might be perceived as bragging. This activity is something that can be done your whole life and any participation in it is healthy for any kid. I would never want to discourage a late-starter or someone who progresses slowly....it is all still very valuable. Again, nothing on public Youtube. But dd's level in this activity makes me less wary of allowing her to watch "amazing Suzy" Youtubes. Some of those kids do still outshine her abilities at this time, but not enough to be discouraging. She appreciates their talent and it motivates her to work harder and reach further. It is theoretically "attainable" and therefore less "damaging" in my mind.

I use YouTube ocassionally. What amazes me about the use of YouTube is: where do people get the time to create these neat videos with graphics and music and then upload?? I barely have time to download the video from the camera to the computer!!

I may put my kids' first name and the meet name and the level. But that's it. I don't put ages of the kids, locations of the meet or sporting event, and I am not even sure I have ever put the team name in the description. I post them so that I have an easy way to share the link with family and friends. Period.
I will trim the start/end, add the meet name at the beginning, add event scores and AA score at the end. After that, it's out to friends/family with whatever background noise was recorded (except for that one time DD fell off the beam and I had to remove an unpleasant word that came from behind the camera). Video editing takes too long, but I know that remote family members do want to see, and DD likes to hear compliments from them about it.

How do I feel:Each to his/her own. Posting/not posting videos of your super talented/moderately talented child on YouTube is just fine. My DD will compete for the first time ever in December and if she wants me to post a link for her friends to see, I am happy to oblige. I did record, at her request, her performance at an in-house exhibition and let her watch. She did not like it because all she noticed was her imperfections, so naturally I didn't post the videos even though I thought she did an excellent job. .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I did record, at her request, her performance at an in-house exhibition and let her watch. She did not like it because all she noticed was her imperfections, so naturally I didn't post the videos even though I thought she did an excellent job. .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app[/QUOTE

This is the real value to the video of routines! My DD uses them to see her mistakes. When she thinks her cast is almost to handstand, but it is not! The video doesn't lie!

I mostly post video to Facebook so that my family who lives a long ways away can see what she is doing. I occasionally post to You Tube but not often and then I set it to private and send a link out to specific people.

I use YouTube ocassionally. What amazes me about the use of YouTube is: where do people get the time to create these neat videos with graphics and music and then upload?? I barely have time to download the video from the camera to the computer!!

Eh...you always find time if it is something you want to do. I really enjoy making the videos and adding graphics, choosing just the right music. Last year I made a 30 minute video to be played at our banquet and while it was HOURS of work, it is enjoyable work so I really didn't mind. However, if it isn't something that you really enjoy, I can see how it would be exceptionally tedious because like you insinuated...it does take a lot of time to prep and upload.

I used to post YouTube videos when DD first started so far off family could see what she's doing. I have only added to Facebook over the last couple years though. I don't really worry about the strange voyeurs. Let's face it -- they could be hanging out by the school and gym as well. She did have one YouTube video picked up by a gymnastics site as an example of how to do a compulsory routine (it has over 50,000 views now). With that many hits, there are few 'dislikes' or comments that I thought were unnecessary. But DD doesn't care.

As a matter of fact, DD LOVES to watch YouTube. She's followed girls through the levels and says things like "I remember when 'Suzy' used to fall doing x". It's completely harmless. She learns about skills required at the next level, it feeds her love for gymnastics, and watching her own videos helps her identify her own errors.

And I've also been told that college recruitment wants to see the videos, so we'll think about adding more in a couple years if she continues to progress.

In all seriousness though....I wonder if it is because that's the way we kind of talk about our gymmies to other parents. One of the first questions rec moms always ask me is what level my kid is and how old she is. Then it's usually how long has she been taking gymnastics. Even here on CB, everyone identifies their kids by age/level.

I thought these questions were standard gym 101! I always get these exact questions, usually because DD looks so young. It's like dogs sniffing each other a sizing each other up haha! I have to say I used to be a "YouTube crazy", but not so much now that I see the marathon of gymnastics. It's nice that my family half way across the country can see them. Also I have had people ask if they can make a video (as if I can stop them) to show their sister or whatever, and I can just tell them what to search for on YouTube. My sweet girl stands out because she's a tiny cutie, too bad they don't have Fan Favorites in the Olympics!

What an amazing thread. DD likes to watch youtube whenever she is struggling with a skill (which happens, well, a lot...) and it comforts her to see others struggling and or watch kids doing it right. SO - we ran into one of those "Amazing Suzies" that are her age and DDs reaction was - WOW, what are they feeding her?

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this thread and it's interesting to hear everyone's opinions.

I love youtube and enjoy watching videos. I post videos, but only privately to those I know.

My overwhelming feeling when I see those kids that to me are being "hyped" on youtube by their parents, intentionally or unintentionally, is that it's an incredible amount of pressure way too early. I think of the earliest youtube star that comes to mind and she was one I enjoyed watching and there was a lot of talk about her. She tried elite, even moved to one of the major gyms, then moved to several other gyms and now is back competing level 10. She is a great gymnast and her experience of trying elite and it not working out is completely normal, but because she was hyped so much I've heard many people speak of her as if she is a failure. I think putting her out there so young contributes to that thought process. Many gymnasts had her same experience, just not with so many people watching.

I just hope parents will be careful with how early they put their kids out there. This sport is quite unpredictable and these kids don't need any additional pressure starting at 8, 9, 10 years old.

I used to post all my videos as "unlisted", just for family\friends. Then I thought it would be useful to other parents\kids to watch some of DD's routines. I myself browse the youtube sometimes when I want to see what the routine are for a particular level. For example, when DD just started on xcel bronze team, I wanted to see what the routines are like, but had trouble finding the exact same skill level as she had at that time. So, after she did a few meets, I posted some of the videos and marked them with "xcel bronze", to make it easier for others to search. And she didn't do that great, so it wasn't really bragging. :)

I used to post all my videos as "unlisted", just for family\friends. Then I thought it would be useful to other parents\kids to watch some of DD's routines. I myself browse the youtube sometimes when I want to see what the routine are for a particular level. For example, when DD just started on xcel bronze team, I wanted to see what the routines are like, but had trouble finding the exact same skill level as she had at that time. So, after she did a few meets, I posted some of the videos and marked them with "xcel bronze", to make it easier for others to search. And she didn't do that great, so it wasn't really bragging. :)

The use of youtube that you describe is normal and awesome. I am referring to people that make a channel for their child and everything is "7 year old doing double backs". Very attention seeking. My favorite thing is when the description has to include how they only had 3 days to learn these skills or some excuse for why perhaps they look like a sloppy mess and like they are lucky they survived the meet.

I personally like watching the "average" videos more. I like to see what scoring might be like at the next level. I recently for example, looked at level 8 videos for 2007 to see what most level 8's might be doing this next year since my DD may compete level 8. So it's a very good resource.

It will be interesting to see how people start dealing with this old/new level switch. I imagine we're going to see lots of justifications about how "this level 7 is like last year's level 8" just to make sure everyone knows how super-amazing little Suzie still is.

The use of youtube that you describe is normal and awesome. I am referring to people that make a channel for their child and everything is "7 year old doing double backs". Very attention seeking. My favorite thing is when the description has to include how they only had 3 days to learn these skills or some excuse for why perhaps they look like a sloppy mess and like they are lucky they survived the meet.

I personally like watching the "average" videos more. I like to see what scoring might be like at the next level. I recently for example, looked at level 8 videos for 2007 to see what most level 8's might be doing this next year since my DD may compete level 8. So it's a very good resource.

its that and/or how sick she was the day of the meet...

I agree. You Tube can be a great resource and we use it a lot as I mentioned. I was wondering what the impact is on those girls with so much exposure, fans etc... to some extent it puts them in a similar position to kid movie stars in terms of pressure.

with all that i must say - some of these Suzies ARE totally amazing..

It will be interesting to see how people start dealing with this old/new level switch. I imagine we're going to see lots of justifications about how "this level 7 is like last year's level 8" just to make sure everyone knows how super-amazing little Suzie still is.

Bahaha.....I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure that there will be MANY videos on there with instructions on why exactly their dd is (1) repeating a level - b/c really it's a skill level up, OR (2) why the level dd is competing is so much harder than other's dd's may have competed last year.

Maybe I should post "super amazing Level 9..... Level 9 last year is just like this year, so I guess still amazingly difficult.......ain't she fabulous? Just Agree, after all, I'm gonna send this link to all the current AND past Olympians and force them to give me positive feedback so that I can brag how my amazing level 9 is so super fabulous. -------------after all this is the next step with Super Suzie's parents.....sending their little superstars amazing video to some famous gymnast so that they can add that Jordyn thought my dd was amazing, she "liked" her video.

On the serious side though. I do put together montage videos for my dd (have done this since L4). I love to do it. I like to edit out all the 'wait' time ...waiting to salute and crap....and put in my favorite photos of the meet. I post them on a site a lot less known than youtube for family and friends and sometimes share them on FB. Youtube is a great tool for college recruiting. I have a few years to worry about that, but I've started to put up some of her Level 9 stuff. Colleges really don't care about the levels before that, and why scare them away with 5million videos of her early levels? I will use youtube more when I feel the colleges are ready to be looking at her graduating year. (along with recruiting sites that is).....and IF dd is still interested in college gym then.

its that and/or how sick she was the day of the meet...

I agree. You Tube can be a great resource and we use it a lot as I mentioned. I was wondering what the impact is on those girls with so much exposure, fans etc... to some extent it puts them in a similar position to kid movie stars in terms of pressure.

with all that i must say - some of these Suzies ARE totally amazing..

Yes they were always running a 103 fever as well! Haha. I read that and think man do you really want to advertise the fact that you were stupid enough to send your sick kid to a meet?

And yes many of them are great gymnasts. I'm always surprised though when they have posted all these great things they are doing, yet they can't score higher than a 34-35 in that level and aren't making it to Westerns/Easterns or nationals. I don't get moving so quickly to do mediocre. Why not compete a level below and have some reasonable success. I believe it's more about being able to say they are a 9 year old level 8/9 or whatever. That doesn't impress me unless you are actually competitive at that level at that age.

This is a great thread! I haven't been on here in awhile but saw a post about this thread on FB and came by to read the responses.

I have a YouTube account that I started when my daughter was about 9 months old and have a ton of videos on it. We have no family nearby so it's a way to share and it's become a way for me to keep my videos in one place. Most of the stuff now is gymnastics related, but that's because it's what she does more than anything else. Early on I may have put her age...I can't remember. I'd have to go back and look. I do post some on FB from time to time, but I sometimes feel like some of the videos may come off as bragging in a way (especially to non-gym parents) and try not to do it very often.

I actually had to stop myself from watching all the little Suzie's and from coming on here because when my daughter spent not one but three years on pre-team I was actually a little upset that she wasn't going to be a 6 year old level 4. Yes, I admit it. Then I realized how young that is and how absurd I was being. She will now go into the "new level 3" at the ripe old age of 8. :) My kid will likely never be a "super amazing Suzie" because she got my husband's grace (or lack thereof) and she still has little to no focus (which is what kept her from moving up). She sure loves the sport though so as long as she wants to do it and is happy with it, then I'm proud of her. :)

I do enjoy watching gymnastics videos...from the phenoms to the average gymnasts. My daughter loves to be videoed and asks for me to post her videos all the time. The second she asks for me to not post something of her, I will respect her wishes.

I do follow one little dynamo whose mother used to post on CB all the time. She left and I miss hearing how her daughter is doing but I subscribe to her channel so I can at least periodically watch. My DD loves watching Konnor McClain from West Virginia too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back