Parents How far do you travel to your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

40 min this summer. We will see how it goes in the fall, as our house is halfway between DS's new school and gym. There are gyms closer with good MAG programs, this one just fits better for DS and a neighbor (who I also drive to gym). Summer is 3x a week. DS will drop to 2x but I will still take neighbor 3x in the fall. The gym he would ideally go to is on the other side of town, so it would be 1.5 hours give or take. We'll see how it goes in future years. We are blessed to have many MAG programs in our area.

Thx for all the replies we would be moving to a much longer commute but for an elite squad, seems many of you do a long commute too.

Jealous....we're roughly 175 mile round trip 5 days a week ...I allow 2 hr commute time (for traffic) each way but some days it takes us longer:(

I take it you don't go home but stay at the gym ;)

Kudos, I couldn't do that far (couldn't afford the diesel !)

I, too, am a lucky one.
7 minutes... 9 if I hit the light.

I'd be willing to drive to one of the other gyms within 30 minutes if I had to. But I'm glad we're happy right where we are :)
(and I'd definitely be willing to drive the commute if DD was on an elite path... that would be over an hour each way)

30-45 min each way, 5- 6 days a week. A gym closer to us opened (15 min away) but DDs love their gym and coaches and are doing well and that is the most important thing.

5 minutes, moving up from 2x/week to 3x/week in September. But I more than make up for the short gym commute with a 120-mile round trip to work every day.

I just want to say kudos to every one of you who takes your kid to gymnastics, no matter how far!! I am now an adult and a coach, but as a child we lived 45-55 min from the gym, and my parents just were not interested in that kind of commitment. I still look back and wonder how far I could have gone if I'd just had their support. As a kid, you have no control over what your parents are willing to sacrifice.

We do the hour plus commute now because when we started gym we were clueless.... We simply went to a nearby gym doing rec classes as it was convenient. DD showed talent, and rec led to team. Team led to meets. Looking around at meets showcased the difference in how well kids are prepared and coached.
Doing research, I found none of the gyms near me have good programs or good coaches (or even good conditioning) .... Asking around to those I trust led me to the gym we've been at almost 3 yrs. I know my DD is extremely happy and could never have come this far in the sport if we stayed close to home.

And now.... We are ready to move across the country. Happily, an excellent gym is a 10-15 minute drive from our new house. I won't know what to do with all my extra free time / saved $$ in gas!! :)

Also 15 miles from door to door, 5 days a week, for two kids, who don't share the same schedule. This usually means multiple trips every day.

We just moved (houses), so it's 10 min drive. Used to be 20 min. It's about half hour from school though, which I imagine is going to not be fun once school starts.

It is about 10 min if we hit the lights :) Only 5 minutes from her current school and my work ( teach at her school) but that is only for one more year then it will about 25 minutes from school to gym.

In the summer with gym hours in the middle of the day, it takes 40-45 minutes to get there. We hit a little traffic on the way home and it takes about an hour. When school starts back, it will be more like 1 1/2 hours - if we're lucky. We leave straight from the school at 3:50 and barely get there in time for 5:30 practice. Because we're coming home so late, we can usually get home within 30 minutes. With two girls on team, we'll be doing this 5-6 days a week. We switched from a closer gym. Eventually, we may move closer to that area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back