Parents How to keep daughter from being so nervous?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
States are this weekend and Emma is very nervous. She was really, really nervous in the fall and messed up on her first 2 events - beam and vault. Ended up doing well on bars and floor though and it turned out fine. So tomorrow afternoon she competes and first thing this morning she started in on how nervous she was. I feel like I just say the same things over and over again and they don't help LOL. Any ideas?

Good luck to your DD!! My DD is in the same boat. She is ussually very easy going about her gymnastics, but she is very concerned about that darned squat on. She just doesn't think that she can do it. She does it fine at practice and in warm ups at meets, but then nerves must set in and she falls off.
Keep letting your DD know that it isn't the end all of life and that she will do just fine. I'm sure you are already doing just that!

We are sending loads and loads of fairies!!

Poor baby. Hope she has a good meet. My girls do not get super nervous usually. My little DD used to when she was in L2, but it has faded quite a lot. (at least she does not tell us she is nervous). I always tell the girls to do their routines just like they do at practice and that the meet is no different. What they are able to do in practice, they are able to do at the meet. I also try to keep pressure off of them, tell them to not look at others' routines or scores and focus on themselves and they will do just fine! (Also a little stuffed "worry bear" or toy in the gym bag has worked well especially for my older DD). I also try NOT to talk about the meet too much before the meet, and try to get them there early enough but not too early so they don't have too much time to think. Distractions the night before the meet are always good too (movies, etc.).

Good luck to her!

There isn't much you can do except what you are probably already doing. :) It is hard to see them nervous, but it is part of the sport. All we can do as parents is reassure them that we love them no matter what. Hope she has a good meet and can calm down!!

good luck to her and sending calming fairies her way! I guess all you can do is tell her to have fun and give her a big hug! Hope she has a great time!

best thing is to do nothing. it will work itself out in time.:)

I really dont have any advice to give as I havent run into this YET. Sounds like you got it in the best control as possible. Hope you DD is nice and calm and does great at state

My level 8 daughter has done about 35 meets, and she still gets nervous. My mom tried to calm me down before a big horse show when I was 13, and I remember thinking "she has no idea what she is talking about". I was one of those kids who was always embarrased by my mom just LOOKING at me! Just be there for support, and encouraging words, never talk about "why didnt you do this or that" and she will handle it fine on her own. Nerves kinda help them perform at their best sometimes, so it can be a good thing, and perfectly normal.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back