I want to be an artistic gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For all my life, I have wanted to do gymnastics and be able to do things that I never thought possible. After years of begging, my parents allowed me to join an acro club near to where I live. It is a great club, and I love it however as I am tall and a teenager, I don't get pushed up the levels like the younger tops. I am the oldest in my group. I train 4 hours a week, but as it is acro, we don't do much tumbling or elements, only pairs and trios. I love this club :)and I would never stop, I just want to do artistic as well as I think I would be better at it.

My dream has always been to compete in artistic gymnastics, however I feel like this will never happen. As I am in the uk, the only way to get into competitive artistic gymnastics is to be young with great potential. As I obviously didn't start young, the only choice is rec, I can't get into competitions. I dream of doing beam vault and bars but I will never have the opportunity, I don't know what to do. My nearest gym (25 mins away) has a teenage class for one hour once a week, but there is no serious coaching, you just do what you want. Is there any way you think I could get into artistic? I work extremely hard, I have basic skills, walk overs splits etc... Any thoughts?.

Can't you be a base in Acro if you're too tall to be a top? You could still get up the levels.

As to artistic. You are right in saying the vast majority of clubs won't even look at you. However you don't know until you ask :). Phone or email every gym close and ask. Look at local results, smaller clubs and those with older girls competing at low levels might be more open.

Or you can keep working with what you have, until you are old enough for adult classes. Lots of adults compete, and the levels start off really low. You'll get more support that way too, coaching and people to compete with.

Where abouts are you? Someone might know of a club...

Thank you, I am a base, I just feel like the bases progress so much slower, whereas the tops in our club are really pushed forward.

The problem is there are only two proper gyms in my area, and both have the same policy about age. I have been looking into adult classes for when I am a adult as well, so I will keep working hard with acro and see what happens :)

I would give the teen class which you mention is near you a go. At least then you'll get the opportunity to use the beam and bars and there are bound to coaches around to offer advice. It's worth a try.

I too was a late starter at gymnastics and no I didn't become a champion but I loved what did.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back