WAG IGI Chicago style? Anyone??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
They are in the process of picking meets and this one came up.......
Considering it is in the dead of winter, i was wondering how convenient this one is?
Hotels seem far, and I don't think the trolley runs in the winter.
I don't really want to walk anywhere in Feb!
How do they compete? Friday morning to Sunday night??

It's very convenient -- the meet organizers provide shuttles that run from host hotels to Navy Pier (and back) about every 15 mins. There are also plentiful taxi's if that's more your speed. Good shopping is very close by too.

Yes -- completion is Friday to Sunday. There is an NCAA meet on Friday night too, so that can be pretty interesting.

But Chicago is cold in Febuary -- no way to argue that!!

This was probably the best meet my DD has ever been to (and she's been to at least a jillion). Shuttles make getting back and forth to the meet super easy. The meet itself is really well-run. Navy Peir is really fun with lots of shops and restaurants in the same building where the meet is held. And Chicago is a really fun city, even when it's cold. I know she and I will always remember that trip fondly!

I love this meet ! We never stay at the host hotel....too crowded... cabs reasonable to get about and we even have taken the subway to the airport for around 3 bucks!

There are only two host hotels. Does this mean if you stay at another one, there is no shuttle?
No...you can still ride the shuttle to Navy Pier. There are lots of non-host hotels nearby. The shuttle stops are centrally located so you can generally just walk a few blocks and get on.

One of, if not the best meets we ever attended. It is a HUGE meet, so plan accordingly. If you aren't staying at one of the host hotels, just walk to one of the hosts and pick up the shuttle. Yes, Chicago is cold in Feb, but everyone survives. The meet organizers and meet director are fabulous! Being able to see a college meet is always a plus.

I love that meet! We have stayed at the host hotels before and it was great. One year though when we competed on Friday morning we got a much cheaper rate at a non-host hotel because it was a Thursday night. Both options worked out great for us. Wish we were going back!

Be sure to get some of the Chicago Mix popcorn and your visit won't be complete without a visit to American Girl. Enjoy the weekend (even if it is cold); there is lots to see and do in that part of Chicago.

Cafe Luxe was walking distance from the host hotel and accommodated EVERYONE (gymnasts, parents, siblings, coaches) from our team for dinner one night. (We arranged it ahead of time.) I highly recommend it! Some of us went back for breakfast (beignets, red velvet waffles, etc.). Yummy!

Be sure to get some of the Chicago Mix popcorn and your visit won't be complete without a visit to American Girl. Enjoy the weekend (even if it is cold); there is lots to see and do in that part of Chicago.

That Chicago mix popcorn is seriously to die for!!!!

I went to meet a friend, and see her dd compete, it was an incredibly well run meet. Chicago is a world class tourist city. Yes it was cold, but seriously amazing.

My dd LOVES the leos that they give as the meet gift. Plus it didn't hurt that she won beam and took 2nd AA and won a free week at Flip Fest camp. I agree about the popcorn it was amazing.

The popcorn is from Garretts and we grab some every time we go into the city. Our level 4's did this meet last year and loved it. Yes, it's cold here in the winter but dress in layers. There is so much to see & do in the city I say stay an extra day and explore!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back