Parents I'm New

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flgymmom

Proud Parent
Hello everyone !

I'm new to gymnastics and I'm new to Chalkbucket.

My daughters (then 11 and 9) started gymnastic on recreationally 2 years ago and joined our gym's team in July of last year.

They both competed at level 4 in 5 meets last fall and made the FL State Meet so obviously they were thrilled.

My older daughter who is now 12 has taken a break from gymnastics because her workload from school is just too much, she was up till 11pm doing homework after gym and back up at 7am finishing it.

My younger daughter who is 9 is working her little tail off and is actually excelling now that she isn't in her sister's shadow.

I am in a whirlwind of gym talk and truly enjoying it. My daughter had DREAM of the Olympics on day (don't they all lol) so she is pushing hard at moving forward but because of her late start in gym it is hard obviously.

Well, I look forward to reading all your posts and replies and getting some advice from you all !!!

Thanks
Melissa :)

Welcome!! I'm new here too AND new to gymnastics also. I also have a hardworking late-starter. My daughter is 8, soon to be 9. She competed level 3 this year and qualified for state, but our gym doesn't take level 3's to state. We recently(just last week) got the news she'll be moving up to level 4 soon and she's already doing some level 5 skills. She's small/short for age, so no one could ever tell she was one of the older ones on level 3. I feel like she's done great even though she didn't start gymnastics until she was 7. Mine, too, is working her tail off in hopes of the Olympics one day(like you said,...don't they all). Nothing wrong with dreaming big, I say :)

welcome... I am new to this site as of last month. My daughter is 12 and is moving to level 7 from being on excel platinum. She actually has been out of the gym since December, had a knee injury, and we are starting back up this week. We are moving back to a private gym after being in a ymca gym for the last 1.5 years. We were originally in private gym for 9 years prior. Again welcome and you will learn alot of great info from this site....

welcome... I am new to this site as of last month. My daughter is 12 and is moving to level 7 from being on excel platinum. She actually has been out of the gym since December, had a knee injury, and we are starting back up this week. We are moving back to a private gym after being in a ymca gym for the last 1.5 years. We were originally in private gym for 9 years prior. Again welcome and you will learn alot of great info from this site....

What does it mean that she was moving to L7 from being on excel platinum?

How long has she been doing comp gymnastics?

Welcome!! I'm new here too AND new to gymnastics also. I also have a hardworking late-starter. My daughter is 8, soon to be 9. She competed level 3 this year and qualified for state, but our gym doesn't take level 3's to state. We recently(just last week) got the news she'll be moving up to level 4 soon and she's already doing some level 5 skills. She's small/short for age, so no one could ever tell she was one of the older ones on level 3. I feel like she's done great even though she didn't start gymnastics until she was 7. Mine, too, is working her tail off in hopes of the Olympics one day(like you said,...don't they all). Nothing wrong with dreaming big, I say :)

Does your gym compete in spring and fall? How long had she been compete ting?

Does your gym compete in spring and fall? How long had she been compete ting?
We compete both fall and spring. Our season is from October to March. We just had our last meet last weekend. She made the team in May of last year and starting competing in October. So she's been competing one full season. She did rec. gymnastics a full year before making team.

Welcome! I'm new too. My DD just turned 7 this week and competed L3 this year. We have our last meet (State) this weekend. She started going to gymnastics exactly a year ago and has been hooked ever since. She is very ready for this season to be over so she can really get some serious uptraining done. She LOVES working new skills. The tenative game plan is for her to compete new L4 next year, but really only time will tell! We will just have to see what the summer brings!

My DDs competed in 5 meets in the fall and then States in December, there was 2 meets this winter (one in Feb, one last weekend) that 2 girls on our team choose to participate in but the rest didn't. The spring meets are optional for us and to be honest we were financial drained after all the fall meets and 2 dd's competing.

It was a LONNNGGG fall for us especially consider they had never competed before this. lol

wow that is wonderful! Is she on the young side for that "level" or average ? I'm totally impressed !!!

wow that is wonderful! Is she on the young side for that "level" or average ? I'm totally impressed !!!

She is quite a bit younger then the girls she is training with, that's all I know :) That's is mostly why it is "tentative" at this point. I honestly have a few reservations about her basically skipping a level, but I don't want to be the one to hold her back, so it's all in her and her coaches hands at this point. The hardest part of gymnastics as a whole for me is the lack of knowledge I myself have. It's so individualized, not "your in 1st grade, so you are in the first grade soccer age group" lol. I'm learning as I go. This website has been such a huge resource, I am beyond greatful that it's here!

My DDs competed in 5 meets in the fall and then States in December, there was 2 meets this winter (one in Feb, one last weekend) that 2 girls on our team choose to participate in but the rest didn't. The spring meets are optional for us and to be honest we were financial drained after all the fall meets and 2 dd's competing.

It was a LONNNGGG fall for us especially consider they had never competed before this. lol

WOW!! That was a long fall!! It's nice that the spring meets are optional, though.

Welcome, flgymmom. I have a 12 yo gymnast, too. A boy :) He just finished his L5 state meet and made all star team to Regionals, so his meet season isn't quite over yet. My dd is newly 10 and finishing her L7 season. One more meet and states to go. With two competing, I am quickly developing a love/hate relationship with meet season!! Right now, I can't wait for it to be over so I can rest!!!

She has been competing since she was six years old. She started at level 4, did two years on level 4, two years on level 5, one year on level 6, she moved to the excel program this year and was on the platinum level. She never competed this year.. she had her injury and has not been back to practice yet. We are moving back to a private gym and she is training with the level 7 team. We decided we like the rigors of the private gym Junior Olympic program better than a Ymca program. Thats just our preference because that was what we were used to for nine years prior. She started gymnastics at age 1.5 and did rec gymnastics until she was 5, then she was on a preteam from 5 to 6yo then competed lev 4 at six. Shes been competing for six yr now. She is excited to be finally reaching her goal of JO optional team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back