WAG Injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gym had had a lot of injuries lately, knock on wood, my DD hasn't had any thing serious. I am starting to wonder if I should be worried about safety or is it just part of the competitor sport?

Depends. What kinds of injuries and what levels are the injured gymnasts training?

I think injuries are just part of life for active children -- if you poke around the boards, you will see so many stories about gymnasts getting hurt outside of the gym, often in school gym class! But certainly some gyms are more conscious about safety and good conditioning practices than others.

Agree with profmom.....It depends on your daughter's level and the injury (and how it happened)

My daughter has had a fluke trip and fall as well as stress fracture and Osgood Schlatters.

In these cases, they were not due to lack of conditioning or safety issues. But if lots of girls have a similar injury, it's possible they are missing a key conditioning element.

Many of our girls have had injuries that took them out of competition season that they sustained OUT of the gym. A lot of the injuries I've seen were also from minor missteps. I think injuries will always be a big issue in competitive sports. But what have you witnessed at your gym that leads you to believe it may be a safety issue?

I think our gym has been pretty lucky. A few of our girls had breaks but they were totally flukes.
My daughter had osgood this summer - but luckily its been manageable with physio and laser treatments.
In Canada it seems more injuries come near the end of our season - May-June. Right now they are all rested up from summer training and ready to start competing.
Stay safe

I agree with previous replies, it really depends on the situation in which these injuries occur. Are gymnasts getting hurt because the coaches turn their backs on them? Because there's a solid stone wall right behind the vaults?

If it isn't a safety issue, I'd say injuries are pretty common. Kids get hurt all the time, even if they aren't doing gymnastics. We have someone in our region who's quite well known for getting injuries during competitions! And I've seen girls break their arm while attempting a pullover (I can still hear the screams in my head just thinking about it, urgh). And most coaches do care for their gymnasts. One of my coaches actually ripped his biceps in half when he saw a gymnast was going to fail at doing her BHS, a skill she had had for quite some time. He jumped in from a distance to keep her from falling on her head - and ouch!

But... I agree with above posters. Depends on types of injuries. DD's Previous gym was not as strong on conditioning and every other girl in Level 4 and up has some type of brace. New gym really stresses conditioning and only a few girls have support wrap/ braces.

DD originally trained at a YMCA and maxed out at 7.5 hours of practice a week. While there were fewer catastrophic injuries, mostly because very few girls got beyond level 6/7 skills, it seemed like every girl above the age of 8 had wraps/braces on every knee/elbow/ankle/wrist. Definitely some injuries can be caused by lack of conditioning and less-than-ideal training practices. But it is certainly a sport with a high risk for injuries and there's no getting around that.

I think our gym has been pretty lucky. A few of our girls had breaks but they were totally flukes.
My daughter had osgood this summer - but luckily its been manageable with physio and laser treatments.
In Canada it seems more injuries come near the end of our season - May-June. Right now they are all rested up from summer training and ready to start competing.
Stay safe
Can you tell me about laser treatments?

The treatment is done through our physiotherapist. Its a new machine for them anyways...not sure if its new in the industry. Apparently its a very expensive machine...

We went for 6 weeks she has gone for 3 treatments a week - $45 a treatment. We have just reduced her to 2 treatments a week and we will reassess over the next couple of weeks.

She has had osgood for the last 8 weeks. 1st two weeks on summer break from gym which just made it worse and then as soon as she got back we started treatments.

The first two weeks of doing the laser if it hurt her knee she would go and do bars. As she continued with laser the pain kept going down and down and now she basically has not had pain at all for the last 2 weeks. ...I don't want to take her off completely until she starts tumbling on the regular floor. During non-competition season they tumble on the tumble track which is not as hard on their bodies...so I am waiting until they tumble on the floor.

Its been fantastic for her, I was afraid she would have lost all her summer floor and vault training but that didn't happen.

www.bioflexlaser.com

Can you tell me about laser treatments?

My gym had had a lot of injuries lately, knock on wood, my DD hasn't had any thing serious. I am starting to wonder if I should be worried about safety or is it just part of the competitor sport?
I have had a lot of injuries lately too
I broke my left foot, took 5 months to heal
I irritated my knee cap
I pulled/strained my itb band
The ball and socket joint is pinching in my hip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back