is 4 almost 5 yrs old too young for bridges/kickover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

why doesn't op private message dunno with her location for a recommendation of good gyms in her area?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Great idea...just didn't know if that was bugging dunno too much;) don't want to be the new girl breaking all the rules haha;)! Guess I can give it a shot!

Mill circles aren't bad, necessarily. A lot of coaches just think that they are useless and/or a waste of time that could be spent training drills for skills that actually go somewhere.

Mill circles look like they could be dangerous for small children to be doing if something goes wrong. I know I would be standing in ready as a coach if my gymnasts had to do mill circle to ensure they were falling in a safe way.

I would love more information on how to tell when a gym is "playing with backbends" and when they are "training them". Perhaps playing with them is common, and that is why we see so much of that . . . but then perhaps some people assume it's training when it's not, and might get worried for nothing. It would probably help if there were more clear guidelines these things :) (and also if parents took their kids to the appropriate medical professional to see what they are personally ready for and when).

I really think, for example, my almost 8 year old is in no condition for being trained for bridges. turning 5 or 6 or 7 was no magic solution to physical readiness. It's these differences from child to child that have always made me feel it's important not to go by internet suggestions or doctors that have never met my kids and to instead find reputable doctors in my area and have them assess my kids.

and John and Kathryn do not compete level 3. and they don't have young children doing back bends either. and you were spot on again. i'll bet you're a very fastidious coach. we need more like you.:)

Just to be clear, when you say "they don't have young children doing back bends" do you mean "back bends" or "back bends and bridges" ? I want to make sure I'm understand :)

Took my girls to the gymnastics class out here in Montana tonight (not their regular gym) and explained to the instructor that I didn't want them to do bridges. I explained about my back problems and that I would rather err on the side of caution. She mentioned how flexible they were, but was nice about it and they did no bridging....I said if they were doing bridging (in the class) to please have them do table tops instead....is that the best option?

:)

If the coach is not concerned about your young child's back when they are doing bridges at the age of 4, I question if they will be thinking of your child's open growth plates when they want them to start working even harder skills - like Yurchenkos on vault, 1-handed BHS on beam, to name of few as a pre-teen going through puberty. I feel you have a right to ask question coaches actions when the safety of your child is at hand. A bridge at the age of 4 is not going to have any impact on her gymnastics, just like a 1-handed BHS has not had any impact on my child's ability to do a level 10 beam routine! It's your choice, it's your child.

Hi Granny Smith, Thanks for your post. How do you know when the growth plates are closed? Is there a general age? My daughter is 10 and does Yurchenko vaults. Should I be concerned? Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts on 1-handed BHS on beam. I will make sure that is not included in her routines.

Hi Granny Smith, Thanks for your post. How do you know when the growth plates are closed? Is there a general age? My daughter is 10 and does Yurchenko vaults. Should I be concerned? Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts on 1-handed BHS on beam. I will make sure that is not included in her routines.

Well, you can definitely tell by an x-ray, but it's not like we just get them for no reason. Usually growth plates are closed once they have gone through puberty. I was fortunate enough to have my dd get 2 bone age scans when she was young which also was a good indicator (prescribed by endocrinologist). I wouldn't be concerned about your dd doing Yurcheno vaults unless she starts to complain about wrist pain, which really isn't that uncommon. Wrists are not meant to endure the entire weight of the body, especially going backwards like they do. Does she use Tiger Paws for vault? My dd did start the Yurchenko before her growth plates were closed, she experienced pain, the Tiger Paws helped significantly for that reason. She only wore the Tiger Paws for vault, no other events. Now since her surgery, she does wear the 1 Tiger Paw on her wrist of the arm she had surgery on. I guess it's her crutch. I'm not a fan of Tiger Paws on beam at all, but she is only wearing the one, so I guess it's only half bad! ;)

good post Granny. and let's not forget the elbows when doing yurchenkos. if the elbows begin bothering them, the coach needs to know right away.:)

Just asked my daughter and the wrist guards she uses are the Tiger Paw brand. She had wrist problems at the beginning of last season so wore them for several weeks. She says that she doesn't wear them very often anymore but will wear them for vault if her wrist are bothering her. Should she be wearing them everytime she does a Yurchenko vault? She never complains about her elbows - so hope we are OK there. She has been icing her knees and ankles the last few nights - not sure what is causing the need for that.

good post Granny. and let's not forget the elbows when doing yurchenkos. if the elbows begin bothering them, the coach needs to know right away.:)

What would be a reasonable course course of action if elbows are hurting consistently after vault workout?

She has been icing her knees and ankles the last few nights - not sure what is causing the need for that.

presumably increased strength/conditioning work. My dd is coming home sore every day too - icing different body parts depending on what she worked on. This happens every summer as she gets used to the increased workout and new skills.

What would be a reasonable course course of action if elbows are hurting consistently after vault workout?

if it's from yurchenko's, you must space out the recovery between vaulting days and possibly every other week. if there is any pain, you wait until there is no pain.

Mod Hat On.

Please remember that that all gymnasts work hard and keep the comparisons of young gymnasts to a polite minimum. Feel free to start a new thread about intense summer training for all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back