MAG Is Level 8 easier than Level 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Without a B dismount, you can only get .3 rather than .5, and you are not eligible for the stick bonus. If you don't dismount with an A, you don't get credit for a dismount at all. The dismounts aren't required in the sense that you can't compete a routine without them, but the gymnast will take a significant hit on the score if the dismount isn't up to that level. The judges will count eight skills (seven plus the dismount) to calculate the difficulty score, so if the other seven skills aren't up to competitive level, the maximum D score will leave the gymnast behind before the judge even starts looking at execution. Can you still do OK if you are very clean? Sure, but you're starting behind people who have all the skills.

Even on the girls' side, you can compete an optional routine that's missing one of the "special requirements," but there is a significant deduction for doing so.
Level 9s need a b dismount but level 8s can do a dismounts with being elgible for a stick bonus and get the full 5 tenths and on pretty much every event you have to do a dismount I mean what are you going to do just drop off high bar.

Easy dismounts
Floor - layout which is actually a b
Pommels -press handstand half which is a c
Rings - layout which is an A or a front layout if you want a b you would have to do a back full double back or front half.
P-bars - back off which is a B
high bar - definately the hardest place
To get dismounts since it should be out of giant but a layout is an A and a double is a B

So none of those are too hard dismounts are usually things that aren't hard they are just scary.

Now yes it's hard to get some groups on rings an high bar but in level 8 no one is doing a swing strength move, a release, or a full eagle move.

Level 9s need a b dismount but level 8s can do a dismounts with being elgible for a stick bonus and get the full 5 tenths and on pretty much every event you have to do a dismount I mean what are you going to do just drop off high bar.

Easy dismounts
Floor - layout which is actually a b
Pommels -press handstand half which is a c
Rings - layout which is an A or a front layout if you want a b you would have to do a back full double back or front half.
P-bars - back off which is a B
high bar - definately the hardest place
To get dismounts since it should be out of giant but a layout is an A and a double is a B

So none of those are too hard dismounts are usually things that aren't hard they are just scary.

Now yes it's hard to get some groups on rings an high bar but in level 8 no one is doing a swing strength move, a release, or a full eagle move.

Depends. Some kids have fear issues with flyaways. And unless they've changed the rules, an A dismount is only .3 and you're not eligible for the stick bonus. I agree on floor and pbars, but on the other events, getting to that B dismount may be a little harder for some. Part of my perspective comes from having watched both boys and girls dealing with fears on a couple of events that have made constructing full value optional routines difficult or in three cases I know about, have made it difficult to compete the routines they had constructed at the beginning of the season. Sounds like this hasn't been a problem for you, and I'm really glad to hear it!

Depends. Some kids have fear issues with flyaways. And unless they've changed the rules, an A dismount is only .3 and you're not eligible for the stick bonus. I agree on floor and pbars, but on the other events, getting to that B dismount may be a little harder for some. Part of my perspective comes from having watched both boys and girls dealing with fears on a couple of events that have made constructing full value optional routines difficult or in three cases I know about, have made it difficult to compete the routines they had constructed at the beginning of the season. Sounds like this hasn't been a problem for you, and I'm really glad to hear it!
The level 8s can do A dismounts and they are worth the full dismount credit level 9 and 10s have to do Bs

I did have a lot of fear on flyaways from giants and back offs and it was hard to overcome but I believe everyone can overcome it it they just go for it

The level 8s can do A dismounts and they are worth the full dismount credit level 9 and 10s have to do Bs

In the table i have, a B dismount is required at level 8 for full dismount credit and potential stick bonus . An A dismount is only worth .3.

In the table i have, a B dismount is required at level 8 for full dismount credit and potential stick bonus . An A dismount is only worth .3.
Hmm sounds like your looking at outdated stuff

A dismount for level 8

B dismount for level 9

C dismount for level 10

Unless all 3 of my past coaches are wrong but being all 3 have judging licencres and two judged at p&gs last year I doubt it

It could be a silent rule tho

It won't copy and past here, but here is what I am looking at:
http://www.jewarts.com/images/pdf/2012-2016Men'sAgeGroupCompetitionProgramManual.pdf

p.21.
Ok I see it must be a silent rule then

Sometimes judges will change the rules a bit but for everyone which keeps it fair

For instance the false grips on a cross is something pretty much every JO kid does however even though your not supposed to false grip no judge will take off for it

May be the same with the level 8 dismount thingy

But either way it's not too hard to get a b dismount on anyway but high bar I would say since doubles tend to be quite scary for some

And it could just be in your state/region. Ours was pretty strict about it this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back