WAG Is this sport seriously that nitpicky?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

These little ones usually start competing at 6. Most gyms do not compete before new level 3, and some not until new level 4. Level 4 is the first level USAG requires to get a score to move up. Anything below that is completely up to the coach whether or not they compete or move up.

This is what is confusing me. I know 6 is the minimum age to compete level 3, but there are no 6 year olds anywhere around here competing 3? There is even a gym here with a homeschooling program, and those 6 yr olds might compete 2 but not 3. Maybe our state isn't very progressive though. I have been looking at some YouTube videos of USAG level 2 floor, and I am certainly no expert, but the videos of the young kids are not really revealing some kind of exceptional form. I did see one or two videos of older level 2's, and yes, they were definitely tighter and better in general.

I agree with those that said form is important and for my child going to a competition was a huge motivator to concentrate on her form. She did not really get it until it effected her scores. Granted she was 6 and competing old L3. :) But with that said, I would not be spending very much money going to a bunch of L1 meets.

She is now 7 and competing new L3 with the plan being to move her up to L4 in January if her kip comes, which her coach seems pretty sure is going to happen any day. But we will see. She is the youngest on her L3 team with most of the girls being between the ages of 9-11. Now that she spent the whole summer uptraining, she has come to the realization how important form is for some of the bigger skills to come together. But like someone else said, it's not like our upper level girls don't get reminded to stay tight or to keep their arms by their ears.

I agree with those that said form is important and for my child going to a competition was a huge motivator to concentrate on her form. She did not really get it until it effected her scores. Granted she was 6 and competing old L3. :) But with that said, I would not be spending very much money going to a bunch of L1 meets.

She is now 7 and competing new L3 with the plan being to move her up to L4 in January if her kip comes, which her coach seems pretty sure is going to happen any day. But we will see. She is the youngest on her L3 team with most of the girls being between the ages of 9-11. Now that she spent the whole summer uptraining, she has come to the realization how important form is for some of the bigger skills to come together. But like someone else said, it's not like our upper level girls don't get reminded to stay tight or to keep their arms by their ears.

Gahh! It is very expensive and there is travel involved for the level one meets. That and the time commitment are what prompted me to join CB and seek info. Her coach got her back handspring in really good shape with just some 1:1 help after practice, so yes, I don't see why the form issues couldn't be corrected. No, they progress year by year. She will do level 2 next year. No uptraining currently happening, but I'm sure they want routines perfected for the first meet. Who knows? I have an older daughter who plays soccer, and I find it much easier to understand.

This is what is confusing me. I know 6 is the minimum age to compete level 3, but there are no 6 year olds anywhere around here competing 3? There is even a gym here with a homeschooling program, and those 6 yr olds might compete 2 but not 3. Maybe our state isn't very progressive though. I have been looking at some YouTube videos of USAG level 2 floor, and I am certainly no expert, but the videos of the young kids are not really revealing some kind of exceptional form. I did see one or two videos of older level 2's, and yes, they were definitely tighter and better in general.
I don't think it's necessarily common, but it is possible. Competing at levels 1 and 2 though doesn't seem to make much of a difference in whether or not a child does well at new 3 or 4. Learning good form requires more practice on skills and drills---handstands, handstands, and more handstands. Shaping and strength work. Not if you can position your hands and focus in the "right" way for a judge.

Gahh! It is very expensive and there is travel involved for the level one meets. That and the time commitment are what prompted me to join CB and seek info. Her coach got her back handspring in really good shape with just some 1:1 help after practice, so yes, I don't see why the form issues couldn't be corrected. No, they progress year by year. She will do level 2 next year. No uptraining currently happening, but I'm sure they want routines perfected for the first meet. Who knows? I have an older daughter who plays soccer, and I find it much easier to understand.

It does get expensive....are you required to attend ALL meets at L1? In our gym, we don't compete L1 but L2s only compete at our home meet. Maybe you could just compete in a few meets close to home or something?

Is the gym actually working on the handstand? I do a lot of handstand work for younger children, getting them to practice the correct shape in a way they can be successful such as against a wall, lying on the floor, knees on a block, 45 degree handstands supported, spotted handstands. My older gymnasts also spend time on handstand shaping and holds every week. If they never get a chance to practice the correct shape they are unlikely to get into the correct position on their own.

Is the gym actually working on the handstand? I do a lot of handstand work for younger children, getting them to practice the correct shape in a way they can be successful such as against a wall, lying on the floor, knees on a block, 45 degree handstands supported, spotted handstands. My older gymnasts also spend time on handstand shaping and holds every week. If they never get a chance to practice the correct shape they are unlikely to get into the correct position on their own.

To be honest, I drop off and leave most of the time. I do watch during the hour that my 3 yr old does rec gym. I have watched some practices though, and I'm not sure about handstand work. After warm up, they do the floor skills in the routine. They basically stand in line and go down the mat doing handstands but it doesn't look like they work much on holds. They do practice the handstand flat back vault a lot, but most of their practices look like doing the routines over and over. I have seen them make the kids stop and repeat back hip circles or skills within the routines if it's a weak spot.

We may not be required to attend all of the meets. I was initially under the impression that we did not have to go to all, but it is recently sounding like we do have to attend all of them. It looks like the meets are all weekend long? But surely we don't have to be there the whole time.

I don't think it's necessarily common, but it is possible. Competing at levels 1 and 2 though doesn't seem to make much of a difference in whether or not a child does well at new 3 or 4. Learning good form requires more practice on skills and drills---handstands, handstands, and more handstands. Shaping and strength work. Not if you can position your hands and focus in the "right" way for a judge.

I know it's possible, and it sounds like at least on CB that it's more the norm.

I don't see many drills happening at their practices. Like I said, the focus is on the routines. They do some strength stuff at the end of practice. The 6 yr olds tend to take a lot of bathroom breaks during the strengthening exercises. :)

We may not be required to attend all of the meets. I was initially under the impression that we did not have to go to all, but it is recently sounding like we do have to attend all of them. It looks like the meets are all weekend long? But surely we don't have to be there the whole time.

You don't. You usually have to be there for your daughter's session only. The only time we've stayed for other sessions was for the state meet and we stayed for the team awards which was after the next session.

As far as starting too late: She's fine. I started at 10, and am 16 now, and am going into my first competitive season ever this year and doing it as a level 10 (Im a guy so I suppose it's slightly different, but the point still stands!). So it's definitely possible to 'come from behind' as far as age is concerned.

As far as being nit-picky, this is probably the most nit picky sport ever. I'd suggest finding a copy of the code of points and reading up on what all the judges deduct for. I have no idea what code level 1's use, but if you just want an idea, you could always go to the FIG website and look at that code. It's for elites but it'll give you an idea of what judges look for later on at least. :)

As far as starting too late: She's fine. I started at 10, and am 16 now, and am going into my first competitive season ever this year and doing it as a level 10 (Im a guy so I suppose it's slightly different, but the point still stands!). So it's definitely possible to 'come from behind' as far as age is concerned.

As far as being nit-picky, this is probably the most nit picky sport ever. I'd suggest finding a copy of the code of points and reading up on what all the judges deduct for. I have no idea what code level 1's use, but if you just want an idea, you could always go to the FIG website and look at that code. It's for elites but it'll give you an idea of what judges look for later on at least. :)

we males take longer to develop in the sport than our female counterparts. men have 6 events and women 4. and there will be an age that will be too old for both in regards to "starting too late".

and you can't go to the FIG website and see what the judges look for. that's judging stuff. the code you refer to is a code that defines the values of skills and their names.

I didn't think she was getting a late start either until I joined chalkbucket, but honestly I read a thread earlier today about a very young child competing level 4 (new) and the parent wondering whether the child had talent. Not to sound like a jerk, but really? Our level 4s are closer to 9 Yrs old. I see so many threads about these young kids, and did they start competing at 3? 4? And if so, there can't be many kids that age with perfect form. I have a 3 1/2 yr old doing rec gym, and she seems just as "agile" as her sister, but I'm not even thinking about team yet for her. I am just finding this sport subjective and confusing!

It does seem like on Chalkbucket we have some very young kids competing higher levels. However, I suspect that isn't the norm here. It is just that those folks tend to post more frequently than the more average age to level kids' parents. Just a thought.

Our gym starts at L4. Form seems to be taught first. Skills second. Tightness varies by child but definitely "firms up" as the season goes on.

I laughed at your floor comment, because it took me a while to figure out the scoring for this particular event. I scratched my head a lot. The lower lvl vault (with no table) was even more puzzling. But I would look at my kid's floor & think it was tight, well executed, good form, and meh, she'd score a low 9. Then I would have to muzzle my child's grandmother's mouth, because she would start spouting nonsense. Tip if you have an opinionated grandparent - leave them home.

I would guess that your child will move up quickly through the 1-3/4 lvls as soon as her form improves to match the skill lvl.

DD is 6 yrs old and new level 1 (will be competing at meets). I realize she is behind the curve in terms of level based on the majority of posts I see here. I am reading most gyms start competing new level 3 and have many 6 yr olds at this level. I have posted several questions going back and forth about why DD was placed level 1 and is this a waste of our time. On Wednesday, I finally got a chance to talk to DD's coach, and he told me that DD 's weakest event is floor. He estimated her earning in the 7's on floor and 8's and 9's on other events. Whaaaaat? I have been convinced that DD's strongest event is floor. She does great Round off back handsprings (coach actually said her form is pretty good for her age), and can even do back tucks on floor at gym, although I can even tell that those are not pretty at all and need work. So he basically said tumbling is great but her form is "behind tumbling" and she isn't tight enough. We are talking front rolls and back rolls in this routine. I know 4 year olds compete this level, so is he serious?? He is talking about things like keeping her hands by her ears before kicking up into her handstand and mentioned deductions for back being too arched in handstand. He did say she has lots of potential. This sport is completely baffling to me. That is all.
====
Most gyms do not have 6 year old level 3's, very few do in perspective. Your DD is doing fine. My DD started at 9 and now competes in college. soo.....

I laughed at your floor comment, because it took me a while to figure out the scoring for this particular event. I scratched my head a lot. The lower lvl vault (with no table) was even more puzzling. But I would look at my kid's floor & think it was tight, well executed, good form, and meh, she'd score a low 9. Then I would have to muzzle my child's grandmother's mouth, because she would start spouting nonsense. Tip if you have an opinionated grandparent - leave them home.

Ha haaa! Yes, very opinionated grandfather! We had to stop sending him DD's soccer schedule. And he thinks he is very knowledgeable about gymnastics bc one of his daughters competed years ago. :)

The floor isn't going to make much sense to me. After watching the YouTube videos, DD certainly looks just as good as any of those kids to my untrained eye. I saw arched backs, stumbles, handstands that weren't held, etc. I expect vault isn't going to be great bc I can already see the arched back and she lands off to the side in the handstand.

we males take longer to develop in the sport than our female counterparts. men have 6 events and women 4. and there will be an age that will be too old for both in regards to "starting too late".

and you can't go to the FIG website and see what the judges look for. that's judging stuff. the code you refer to is a code that defines the values of skills and their names.

I'm part of the cliche' "it's never too late" club though :p I know a guy who started at 19, is 22 now, and can easily do double arabian and Thomas's on floor. I know that's an exception but it shows that it's possible.

And the COP contains the more general information I was talking about though. It shows the amount they deduct for things like hip angles, un pointed toes, etc.

Our gym doesn't have L1 or 2. The "intro" team is L3 and that is new this year, we've only had a L4 team for a couple of years.... They used to start at L5 and basically only take kids from the higher levels of tops.
I would say the average age in our L3 team is 8, and they range from 7-10. Average for l4 is 9, there are a couple of almost 8yos, several 9-10yo, one or two 11yo and one 13yo. In L5 they range from 10-12. We do have a few "wunderkind" gymnasts that are very young and competing higher levels (a 9yo who will be competing L8 or L9, an 8yo who will be competing L8) but they are definitely not the norm, just exceptionally talented. I asked a more experienced gym parent the other day and she said that the 9yo and 10yo age group is usually the largest for L4 at our regional meets, so that makes it seem as if our gym is pretty normal looking at the age ranges in the compulsory teams.

If I was looking at a 6yo being in our tops program (which our gym uses as pre-team a lot), I would put that as similar to L1 and right on track for her age. My own dd didn't even start gymnastics until she was close to 6 and didn't start tops until she was 8.

My daughters gym does not compete until new level 4(old5). By then most kids have done a year of "non-competing level 4" during which they work on all the new level 4 skills, and form and strength, get to be on team and all the fun involved, but no competitions. They will of course have come through rec or "hot shots" through levels 3/4 skills prior to being on team. The most talented "hot shots" (our preschool talent group) come up and would compete old 5 at age 7 - 9 (7 was minimum). Some would move on from there quickly (we have 10 year old level 8/9s and we are in a very rural area, so small population to draw from, others like my daughter would average a year a level, making them on average 8 at 5, 9-10 at 6, now most of the level 7 team is 12-14 (dd is 11, repeating level 7 this year)....for us all meets are a 3-5 hour drive and overnight stay - NO ONE would likely stick it out with competing from level 1!!!

form comes with practice and both muscle and mental maturity - and good coaches will keep kids interested while not progressing too fast so that form comes. It seems really nit-picky at the lower/compulsory levels, but honestly, our gym never emphasized scores at that level - mid 30s and improving form, as well as safely performing all necessary skills at next level are more important move-up criteria than "winning" here - and by not competing until later the girls generally have a few meets to one season of iffy form before things come together. Our optionals are not "best in state" as a whole (with our small area we don't have the volume) but girls consistantly get to level 9/10 here and the last 2 level 10s have gone on to college scholarships/gymnastics - so I think practicing, up training and being on team without competing until more advanced/older works for us!

Lastly, watching optional level gymnasts for the first time last year, as a pediatrician, I was terrified by some of the form I saw on other teams - as in bent arms on handstands on bars, big back arches, handsprings landed with out turned feet and twisty ankles, etc....all of which can cause BIG, SERIOUS injury at upper levels....so it may seem silly to take points off for it in a 6 year old doing a forward roll....but you'll be grateful when/if your daughter continues to higher level when you know she's strong and as safe as possible with double backs off the bars, etc!!!

I would just make sure the competition is fun and doesn't get in the way of learning and enjoying gymnastics....I know some kids love it even at that level....I do wonder about it being used as a money maker....

My DD competed as an old L3 last year (as a 5yo). She had all the skills but her form was not amazing. There was an obvious difference between herself and the older girls (even in her own age division). She did have a blast at the meets, despite being one of the lowest scorers. What it did teach her was the importance of form and doing the moves the proper way. Just performing a skill wasn't good enough. In fact, she did her first bar routine ever with all the moves and didn't fall off .... she scored in the high 5s! It was a wake up call for the both of us!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back