Judging glide swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
I am a beginner judge, with my first competition next weekend. I would just like some advice about judging glide swings. In steps 1 to 4 (like levels 1 to 4), the bar routine contains two or three glide swings on the low bar.

Can other judges, or coaches, tell me what a good glide swing should look like? How should it start, what should the forward swing look like and what should the back swing look like? What is the difference between a good one and a bad one? What are the common mistakes (i.e. that result in deductions)?

No replies to my question! :( Please, somebody must be able to help me?

I don't know if NZ is still using AUS requirements and manuals but the judging deductions for a glide swing here (according to the National Development Program manual) are

Bent arms = .1/.3/.5
Lack of body tension = .1/.3
No extension at top of glide = .1/.3
feet hitting mat = .5
lack of amplitude in back swing = .1/.3

As a coach I would be looking for the following:
1. chest in when jumping to the bar, feet slightly behind hips
2. when catching the bar their feet should still be behind the bar, chest in, head neutral
3. feet stay low to the floor (i.e. not too piked at the hips), show full extension at the front of the swing
4. feet stay low to floor on return swing, chest in, head neutral
5. hips should rise before jumping off bar / swinging forwards again
6. overall a smooth swinging action with good amplitude

I suggest you get in to the gym and watch some kids at these levels training so you can start to see the differences between good and bad, ge the coaches to talk you through it as well.

Thank you so much for your reply, Laura. Yes, I have been at the gym watching, and practice judging with an experienced judge. I was getting some of the deductions but not all. She didn't like most of the glides we were seeing and tried to explain why to me, but I am still a little confused.

I think some of the taller girls have to pike a little to avoid hitting their feet on the mat. The other judge told me the feet should swing up quite high at the end of the forward swing. At the top of the glide, in 'full extension', should the chest still be in then or are they just supposed to be straight?

When I do my little bit of coaching, I make sure the girls don't "tuck" into their glide swings and extend at the top of the swing. I want to see them in a piked position until they should extend out straight.

I dislike the way glides are judged in the lower levels. The 'best' level 1-3 glides are the ones that have a lovely round shape at the back and front of the swing and get huge amplitude because the gymnast is six and can swing under the bar practically straight. These are not glides but swings really. The realistic glide should show a flat/round back, pike under the bar then extend at the front. I place extra mats under the bar to force my gymnasts to glide, it makes it much harder, but as they grow they will already be used to holding their feet up.

If you are not sure of skills in the lower levels think about what the skill is building to, in this case it is a kip, so look at some glides and think about how well that gymnast could kip with that glide. I see plenty which make me think 'never going to kip'

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back