WAG Kind of a specific question about Level 4 floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrangeArt

Proud Parent

If you watch this video of a lvl 4 floor routine, at 0:25, the girl runs forward a few steps with her arms extended in front, opening them as she moves forward before dropping to her side (there may be more technical terms for this that I am clueless about).

Does anyone know if there is a deduction for just running with arms down? That is the way my DD does her routine, but every video I have ever seen is like the video above. The first time I noticed it, at the 2nd or third meet, I thought she just forgot, and I asked her about it. She said she always runs with arms at her sides, and has never been taught different or corrected.

So, I'm curious about if this is causing her to lose points. I will be looking at the next meet to see what her teammates do.

In the meantime, I told her to keep doing what she is used to (I would hate for her to get mixed up mid routine at a meet), and definitely not to bring it up with her coaches. I just would like to know for my own information...

The text specifies how the arms are to move, and the girl in the video is doing it correctly at that section. However, these sort of errors are considered "text errors." The most a judge can take is 0.4o for text errors thoughout the entire routine, and in judges education, they suggest there should be multiple small text errors before you even take 0.05.

For the sake of gym peace, I wouldn't bring it up. She maybe losses 0.05 for it, and only if she is making other small mistakes from the official routine.

Thanks, I wasn't planning to bring it up unless maybe it was a really huge deduction, which I figured it couldn't possibly be. Is it odd that her coaches aren't teaching/correcting this?

For any coaches wondering the text states: "lift both arms forward upward to forward middle curved then open to side middle".

So, while this is a great routine, and her arms are almost correct, the child in the video above does have a minor text error. She lifts her arms forward upward to a crossed position, and then opens from there. That is the correct pathway, but "forward middle curved" would be rounded arms the sane as they do in the level 3 snap turn on beam.

For the purposes of text error deductions, I would assume it is not likely the judges evaluating this routine took any text. Well done to this gymnast, it is a great performance.

OP, you should not instruct your daughter on any placement of the arms in the compulsory routine because as I discussed above it is fairly nuanced. It will cause conflict if you instruct your child different from what the coaches taught. It is possible she has trouble with footwork and thus their reasoning is she gets less off be simplifying the arms.

"The dance run" element of the level 4-5 routine tends to be the most uniquely interpreted part of the text in each cycle. Last cycle the dance run was a "curved run", which many coaches and judges will recall how that one went. In this cycle many have trouble with coordinating the arms while using the correct pathway for the legs (brushing through a turned out position and extending with the toe to land on the ball of the foot).

Thanks. Yes, as I stated in my first post, I told her not to worry about it, and to continue with the way she is used to it. I would never coach her, and wouldn't even mention it to her coaches myself.

I don't think her footwork would be an issue with adding the arms, she tried it the first time she saw a video example, and added the arms fairly easily enough. She was upset to think she has been doing it wrong, but again, I told her not to say anything to her coaches, because it was probably nothing, or so minor that it wasn't worth mentioning.

I appreciate the input :)

The way it's shown is how my DD's coaches have taught her as well. Good to know its not a deduction if not done that way though.

our coach used to call it a deer run..

It's not really a deer run though, that is somewhat common to see something like what most people would call a deer run. I believe the confusion comes from the way they depicted it in the compulsory illustrations. Tom Koll said the intention was for it to be the same pathway as the level one "walk, walk" but with running. The pathway is to step forward, brush the other leg through side coupe, extend from the coupe, and step toe ball heel before pushing off the standing foot.

However in the illustration they really just depicted the pushes off the standing foot and the start and it looks like the illustration of a deer run which is a common vault running drill. Consequently I have seen a lot of deer runs but do not think that was the intention at all. The athlete in the USAG video does it pretty well and also lifts to forward middle curved :)

I tell my girls that it is a ballet run. The arm pathway through forward middle curved (first position arms) and opening to side middle (second position arms) is common in ballet as well.

But yes, you will see some very interesting variations on this part of the routine. My favorite is the "nutcracker" kicks.

This is a great post! So I have a question- my DD is doing Xcel Gold with the goal of scoring out of 4/5 and starting optionals in the fall. She knows the routines, but I don't think all these little details are very good...assuming she has all the skills (just brushing up a few-hopefully should be good in the next 4 of 5 months) should that be good enough to get the 31? I know you guys aren't psychic, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with that situation. Thanks! :)

Yes, if she has the skills down really well, I wouldn't stress the little details too much. If she's missing any skills, it gets dicey.
Thanks! It's really just that darn kip! Arrrr...hopefully it will be solid by the time they plan to score her out. HC says not to worry...

I'm sure your coach has it handled. Last season when my daughter was starting L4 I watched all of the youtube videos and noticed my daughter was doing something different with her arms when coming up from the floor for the leap pass. I kept asking her and she kept saying she was doing it right. I finally went to a practice and watched her teammates and they did it the same. I figured that's what the coach wanted and that's why they did it that way. The girls were always at the top of the podium so she must have known what she was doing.

I finally went to a practice and watched her teammates and they did it the same. I figured that's what the coach wanted and that's why they did it that way. The girls were always at the top of the podium so she must have known what she was doing.

Our meet was yesterday and all the girls did it the same way as my DD (arms down at side through the run). Unfortunately, our girls are not always at the top of the podium, only about 1/3 have even qualified for states. Just another on the list of "frustrations" over here...

Probably not though, I don't think they realize. Our season is pretty much over, only one more meet left before states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back