WAG Level 4 Bars help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

I haven't done the best on bars this season... and it is really pulling me down. Bars has always been my weakness. At my old gym we only focused on things like flyaways, giants, straddle ups and straddle backs, and cast handstands. We left because we skipped basics on everything and getting skills was more important than our safety (I was forced to tumble right after I hit my head, ended up with a concussion :eek:) In old l4 I got a 6.4 once.... a handful of 7s and finished the season with mid to high 8s. Then last year in new level 3 (i was old I know) I got a low of an 8.8 once, an 8.9 once and the rest of the season had low to mid 9s, with my high being a 9.475. This year I have gotten mid to high 7s, and a few low to mid 8s. My low was a 7.45 and my high has been a 8.6. I struggle with consistent straight arm kips and big casts, as well as connecting my low bar. My jump is pretty good and my high bar is usually pretty connected. Any tips? I was also off bars from september until late october because I fractured my finger (growth plate as well as shattering a bone). I condition a ton.

Do you have a video of your routine. It really helps to see what you are doing to give feedback.

Do you have a video of your routine. It really helps to see what you are doing to give feedback.
I do, but we aren't allowed to post routines on social media until the end of the season, I'm not sure why. Sorry :confused::(:oops:

My dd is L4 this year. From what our coaches have said, casting above horizontal is best for points. Keep your feet & legs together for squat on jump to high bar. The tap swings even with high bars both forward & back. I know her coach tells her to stay super tight and she's been scoring low 9's. So, that's all the tips I've absorbed from my dad. Hope that helps & good luck!!

Sounds to me like you need to be working kip drills to get those arms consistently straight. That is a killer on the score in my area. Straight arms on the kip and no piking on tap swings.

Mine scores in the low 9's and when she scores well it is due to straight arm kips and casts at least close to horizontal and big, well shaped tap swings (think fully extended body at close to horizontal to bar with toes pointing upward) as well as routine continuity. She loses points due to her casts not always hitting horizontal, flexed toes and slightly bent leg on her low bar kip, and sometimes piking on her tap swings. I do know that the routines also need to be connected, with minimal pauses. And the jump from low bar to high bar can't be floppy and both feet need to leave the bar at the same time. Just my observations as a parent.

Without seeing it I don't know exactly the issue. I am struck that overall staying tight in the core makes for better straight arms kips, cast and tap swing. Doing some extra core exercises would not hurt. How is your glide too? Are you extending all the way out and snapping your legs in quite quickly for the kip?

One thing to keep in mind is that a good kip is really not about strength it's about timing.

Without seeing it I don't know exactly the issue. I am struck that overall staying tight in the core makes for better straight arms kips, cast and tap swing. Doing some extra core exercises would not hurt. How is your glide too? Are you extending all the way out and snapping your legs in quite quickly for the kip?

One thing to keep in mind is that a good kip is really not about strength it's about timing.
Yes I do. I also straddle if that makes a difference. About 70 percent of the time I make it a beautiful kip, with straight arms and legs, pointed toes, big cast. Others, it looks awful. I'm not sure why.

Yes I do. I also straddle if that makes a difference. About 70 percent of the time I make it a beautiful kip, with straight arms and legs, pointed toes, big cast. Others, it looks awful. I'm not sure why.
Is it possible to have someone video you doing a few kips? Especially if you can then view them in slow motion. You are probably doing something different that you aren't feeling.

Bars is tough to get the hang of... I'm a level 8 this year and have 2 state bar championships (got 1st at bars twice at state (different years)) but my first year 5 (level 4 now) I was getting the lowest scores on the team and didn't even have my kip until early-mid season. Anyways I've found that lots of swing on bars is key. Making sure to extend your kips and such and getting used to the rhythm of the bar routine. But that is my personal experience

Well, my teammate (l7) told me don't let the "ghost for failing gymnasts" get to you guys (to my level)! It was a joke, because she none of the l7s were getting the hang of twisiting on bars, it was as if someone was "pulling" them. Fast foward to after I put my grips on.... I was determined to do well on bars (plus the head coach was working with us!) and please the ghost. No, I don't believe in ghosts but my little teammates do and I need to pretend, lol. So I fell on my first kip, then made about 10, bent arm. My coach came over and told me to try and hold my legs up higher in my glide. I tried, and boom! I started making beautiful straight arm kips. I even connected my low bar! Now, high bar is a different story, but at least I'm really seeing progress now! Thanks so much for the help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back