Parents Level 5 to 6 with lower level 5 score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Anyone had any experience with their gymmie going to level 6 if they had a lower level 5 score? My daughter is a 12 year old. Finished level 4 in May. No previous uptraining for level 5 prior to that. Plan as of now is to score out of level 5 and go on to 6 in January. Problem is, fear issues and limited time to fine tune these level 5 skills. Most likely do a score out in late October or early November and will not be a stellar score. I'm hopeful we can get in the 32 to 33 range. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else's kiddo has taken a similar path and curious how it turned out for them. I appreciate the willingness of our gym to get my older gymmie to 6 now, versus waiting another year when she would be 13. And I know 6 is specifically for kids like her and can be kinder/gentler than 5 due to the flexibility on skill selection such as cartwheel vs bwo on beam or front tumbling vs back tumbling options. Right now she is just lacking a back tuck without the coach standing by her (previous bad fall), needs her flyaway unspotted but she is close, needs a better/higher punch front on spring floor and needs a bwo on high beam. Major fear issues on the bwo on high beam and even struggles on lower beams to do them due to the fear. Don't get me wrong...she has the ability to do the skill...it's all mental on this one!

My dd scored out of five and did six. Don't worry at all about the level five score, dds was not good, but enough to score out. She then had a decent six season, not great due to the big jump (she skipped four as well) and the focus being on training not competing, but then she came back to have a great season the following year and has been cruising ever since.

There is really no reason to do five and six so this is pretty common and the score out score means nothing. Generally what I have seen is that when doing score out meets they spend a couple days learning the routines and get it over with and move on.

It does sound like she has a ways to go for either five or six but there is time and it is great that her coaches are willing to cater the plan to her. Trust her coaches and enjoy the ride into optionals :)

Not my DD but a teammate did this successfully (she was 12). Good L4 season and then developed fears / vestibular issues. She squeaked through a L5 mobility meet (low 32). Competed L6 where they could choose the skills that she could do successfully and she ended up scoring 36s with a few top of podium finishes on different events. She is looking really good this year for L7.

Same for my DD. Scored out of the old level 6 (was an in house meet-only went over the actual routines the week before-scores not that great). She went on to do fine in level 6 and had an even better level 7 season this past year. Good luck!

Thanks all. Feeling more confident. She's training 16 hours right now and has a private this weekend so hoping the next few weeks it all comes together. She really is close on the spotted skills I think. And I think if she had a meet today she would at least attempt the bwo on beam. Time and patience. So hard!

Go for Level 6. It will be more fun, and some personal choice on skills selected should help her score-wise. L5 is a bear to score well in, even for the very talented. I think L5 is a good level for perhaps very young gymmies who are ahead skill-wise but probably not going elite, and so doing L5 as a way to perfect some finer form elements. Just my 2c. I realize gyms use levels in many different ways successfully.

Go for 6! Hope she has a fun season!

We had a few girls score out of L4 last year and finish as L5's, and they ended up with lower AA scores, but are still likely moving to L7 in January.

Was it your daughter that was going to do XCEL? Is that off the table for now?

Yes, there were not enough girls to put together an Xcel team this season. She could possibly still compete it but would be the only one. Small gym. I still think Xcel a great forum and hoping that we have some interest next season.

Go for Level 6. It will be more fun, and some personal choice on skills selected should help her score-wise. L5 is a bear to score well in, even for the very talented. I think L5 is a good level for perhaps very young gymmies who are ahead skill-wise but probably not going elite, and so doing L5 as a way to perfect some finer form elements. Just my 2c. I realize gyms use levels in many different ways successfully.

Go for 6! Hope she has a fun season!

Thanks! I think she will get there. She's actually already got her l6 floor routine. It really just comes down to her getting her flyaway and back tuck unspotted and as stated above, I think if push comes to shove she will at least attempt the back walkover on beam in a score out meet. She's doing decent on vault and bars and those scores should help out. I definetly agree with 6 being more fun. And she is training with girls that are closer to her age and that helps a lot!

My dds gym does this. It seems to go well for them. I don't really pay attention to the other teams though.

This is a great way to move up I think personally

Kipper and several team mates tested out of L5 in October last year. I can tell you that all of us parents were super nervous. While most of them scraped by, all went on to have good (or even great) L6 seasons. It sounds like a great plan for her, and L6 is definitely "kinder" with its variety of options.

Kipper and several team mates tested out of L5 in October last year. I can tell you that all of us parents were super nervous. While most of them scraped by, all went on to have good (or even great) L6 seasons. It sounds like a great plan for her, and L6 is definitely "kinder" with its variety of options.
I agree about the variety of options... I was looking at L6 out of curiosity after a weird dream...
On floor, a gymnast COULD compete the following tumbling passes for full credit:
1- FWO-RO-BHS
2- FT (or side aerial)

Perfect Bar Routine (to minimize deductions):
Kip - Cast Squat On - Long Hang Kip - Cast (at least horizontal, but as close to HS as possible) - Clear Hip - Flyaway

Beam - With an "A" mount and a Split jump as the "B", a cartwheel, full turn, another jump or leap or a balance and a dismount (of course with necessary poses thrown in).

L6 could be very easy.

Anyone had any experience with their gymmie going to level 6 if they had a lower level 5 score? My daughter is a 12 year old. Finished level 4 in May. No previous uptraining for level 5 prior to that. Plan as of now is to score out of level 5 and go on to 6 in January. Problem is, fear issues and limited time to fine tune these level 5 skills. Most likely do a score out in late October or early November and will not be a stellar score. I'm hopeful we can get in the 32 to 33 range. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else's kiddo has taken a similar path and curious how it turned out for them. I appreciate the willingness of our gym to get my older gymmie to 6 now, versus waiting another year when she would be 13. And I know 6 is specifically for kids like her and can be kinder/gentler than 5 due to the flexibility on skill selection such as cartwheel vs bwo on beam or front tumbling vs back tumbling options. Right now she is just lacking a back tuck without the coach standing by her (previous bad fall), needs her flyaway unspotted but she is close, needs a better/higher punch front on spring floor and needs a bwo on high beam. Major fear issues on the bwo on high beam and even struggles on lower beams to do them due to the fear. Don't get me wrong...she has the ability to do the skill...it's all mental on this one!

My dd tested out of 4 and 5 (in 1 in-house meet). She went from 3 to 6 last season. She is competing level 7 this upcoming season. It was a tough transition but she had a successful level 6 year.

Good luck to your dd!

it was a bit different, but with old Level 6 DD only did a few meets and her top score was about low 34...first meet was a 29, so big improvement over 4 weeks. She transitioned to L7 very well from there with 36s at L7, although there were 9 months inbetween. I would guess that L6 right after would be fine. If the skills are coming and she feels confident, then old 6/new 5 is a great level to get through quick, and new L6 is a great level to sit at while things like BWO (and then BHS on beam), flyaway and then giant giant flyaway are solidified.

good luck to your DD - and make sure she's having fun at least some of the timed - if they lose the fun, its all over!

Yes indeed on the fun. That's why Xcel was really our first choice. But being the only one competing Xcel would not be fun so this is the next best option. Can't say this week has been fun...she's really being pushed on bwo on beam...but normally she loves gymnastics and practices. I think this is just one of those times. I think she will love 6 once she gets there! And we may be there a few years but at least upgrades and new skills can be added in, etc.

Yes indeed on the fun. That's why Xcel was really our first choice. But being the only one competing Xcel would not be fun so this is the next best option. Can't say this week has been fun...she's really being pushed on bwo on beam...but normally she loves gymnastics and practices. I think this is just one of those times. I think she will love 6 once she gets there! And we may be there a few years but at least upgrades and new skills can be added in, etc.
Exactly... and as I pointed out... L6 can basically be easier than higher end Xcel Gold routines (split and cast requirements and the NEEDING a B are the only things that make it harder... but I know a girl that went from Xcel Gold to L6 in a week and all she added was a clear hip on high bar and she scored well... and she did not have fully upgraded Gold routines).

I will be honest. We all felt level 5 s*cked at our house. Glad to be done with it, and I sure as heck would not worry about the score. My daughter would have been able to qualify for states with her score out meet score, but her score was not in the 36s bahaha...her coach said even if she had got a 31.0 she was ready to move on...this said, I think she is glad she put in a pretty decent performance, it gives her more credibility inside. But to answer your question, I don't think it matters...many, many gymnasts seem to do quite well in optionals after gutting through this level. You will find there are many different philosophies about level 5, and I actually think they are all valid points. We would have done whatever our dd's gym wanted; for her gym it was a score out meet. And we are glad it was lol!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back