Level 8 Bars Deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD2 is competing level 8 at the new gym this season. She has come so far on all the events but she is still struggling on bars. Her coach said that it is 3 tenths deduction every time you don't hit handstand. So she is getting 6 tenths off for just casts. 3 tenths for not hitting cast hs before the free hip (she can't control it into a free hip) and for not coming out into handstand (she can sometimes but not always).

Is this true that it is 3 tenths for every time you dont hit handstand?

Thanks so much for you time.

Not a judge or coach, but I thought (could be completely wrong) that the deduction depended how close the handstand is to being vertical. I would guess that if your DD's coach told her it was .3 that they are giving you the correct information.

I believe they are called angle deductions. Something new they started taking off for optionals last season. I believe the deduction can range from .1-.3 depending on how close she is to vertical. Sometimes coach will exaggerate a little on the deduction to get the gymnast to really improve that skill.

A judge or one of the very knowledgable coaches on here could probably give you a breakdown on the difference between a .1 and .3 deduction.

It's an execution deduction now. within 10 degrees of handstand - no deduction. If it's between horizontal and 45 degree above horizontal it's probably about .3. The clear hip thing, it won't get credit for a B if it's not horizontal, if it between horizontal and 45, then up to .2 in amplitude depending on where it is (45 above and up, should be no angle deduction). Also L8 has a deduction for lack of elements that pass through vertical (circling elements) so if she doesn't have giants or clear hip handstand in her routine she could get a .2 deduction there.

DD2 is competing level 8 at the new gym this season. She has come so far on all the events but she is still struggling on bars. Her coach said that it is 3 tenths deduction every time you don't hit handstand. So she is getting 6 tenths off for just casts. 3 tenths for not hitting cast hs before the free hip (she can't control it into a free hip) and for not coming out into handstand (she can sometimes but not always).

Is this true that it is 3 tenths for every time you dont hit handstand?

Thanks so much for you time.

hey there, you really can't fret over stuff like this. and you must get your daughter to understand that bars is the hardest event and takes many years to become skilled.

Dunno.. you always know just the right thing to say. My DD is struggling w/her L7 bar routine... I am repeating your advice to her tonight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back