Level 8 vault - another question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
The other Level 8 vault thread right now and my daughter's practice tonight got me thinking...

I know with many things in gymnastics its a numbers game - you simply have to put in the numbers before you can safely/successfully perform them. For example, my dd has been training a yurchenko for Level 8 vault for almost 2 years, but she is small and they have decided that she does not have the speed over the table to compete it this year (we vault on FIG), so they are now training pike Tsuk's for this season for Level 8. Dd's "number" for tonight was 30 - 15 on the table into the pit (not sure if they had a mat thrown in or not) and 15 uphill. Monday she had 12 on the table into loose foam and 12 on tumble trak vault onto mat in the pit. Tuesday was some combination of table and tumble trak, but I don't know the numbers. They also have various drills that don't really matter right for this discussion in between turns (stick drills, board drills, weighted tramp drills, etc.)

Does training the yurchenko for so long speed up the tsuk progress? Do these numbers sound like alot or not? The flip is the "easy part" the over the table is the hard part for my dd, evidently her head is down coming off the table?! She is excited and thinks that she is doing well - not afraid of them and improving. She is competing a front-handspring while this is still in training. Does she have a chance to get it my states at the end of March?

Your thoughts...

That's a lot of numbers... if she keeps going like that she will either get it - or get injured - hopefully not! They are really nothing like each other although the body awareness for the flipping part would be the same so i think she would have an advantage there! good luck

That does seem like a lot of numbers. When we vault, we either do timers to a mat stack OR flip into mats in the pit and the expected numbers are 8-10. We also have a conditioning sheet to do between turns.

Sounds like alot of vaulting to me. I agree that usually the warm up and technique work is done using timers and not worrying about the landing. Sounds like maybe the coaches are a little panicked to get a flipping vault since they had to bag the yurchenko.

I agree that the sense of urgency seems to have stepped up a bit - with no hard landings, I hope the injury risk is not too high! I'm glad we aren't at that other gym either, my dd had a high enough score to qualify to state without the flipping vault - takes that pressure off a bit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back