WAG Maroney video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And this is the crux of the issue in the difference between club/JO and college Gymnastics for medical issues.... While as a parent you can see things that aren't normal or appropriate, there is zero you can do about it in NCAA... So if your kid has an injury, documented by say your home doctor ( and you will be punished for going out of the circle, BTW), don't think for a second that things will happen as before ( I.E xrays, PT, rest)... Many trainers answer to the head coach ( read: who controls their continued employment) so the tape 'em up and put them out mentality prevails....I'm sorry but trainers should answer to medical people, period.

Is this standard operating procedure for all NCAA gymnastics programs or is this anecdotal stuff you've heard about?

Is this standard operating procedure for all NCAA gymnastics programs or is this anecdotal stuff you've heard about?

Both...it's how they operate and what we and many other of our fellow NCAAers have experienced....we know girls with ankle, knee, back, thyroid, elbow issues that I can think of off the top of my head that were seen by trainers who deemed them "fine" and subsequently ended up with surgeries, PT , med regimes and for some, retirement from the sport because the issue wasn't addressed when it should have been...

You are right you didn't condone anything. My apologies. Your remarks also did not say you had any problems with the issues Maroney was dealing with. I guess I was reading too much into your comments that, as you say, were merely stating matter-of-fact items I found obvious.

Maybe your experience is different than others and you're making assumptions about "what is obvious". I think what is obvious is that no parent would condone an adult/coach calling their child a faker for being in pain and telling them they're fat and shouldn't eat. I didn't think I needed to type that out for it to be obvious that that is not okay.

My daughter goes to a gym with active Elites; I would guess that most CB'ers do not. I see the differences day in and day out. I do not think that the coaches at my daughters gym do the things McKayla describes, but I do know that the additional hours, the monthly camps and the pressure to do well in a very short Elite season create a very different experience for those girls than those in the JO program at the same gym.

It is a lot harder.
It is a lot more stressful.
There is the perception that there is much more at stake.

These gymnasts basically train all year for the opportunity to compete at 2 meets (unless you compete internationally, which most Elites do not). It creates a pressure cooker situation that most certainly isn't for everyone. But either way -- it is not okay to treat anyone in the way McKayla describes. I think that is pretty obvious.

Maybe your experience is different than others and you're making assumptions about "what is obvious". I think what is obvious is that no parent would condone an adult/coach calling their child a faker for being in pain and telling them they're fat and shouldn't eat. I didn't think I needed to type that out for it to be obvious that that is not okay.

My daughter goes to a gym with active Elites; I would guess that most CB'ers do not. I see the differences day in and day out. I do not think that the coaches at my daughters gym do the things McKayla describes, but I do know that the additional hours, the monthly camps and the pressure to do well in a very short Elite season create a very different experience for those girls than those in the JO program at the same gym.

It is a lot harder.
It is a lot more stressful.
There is the perception that there is much more at stake.

These gymnasts basically train all year for the opportunity to compete at 2 meets (unless you compete internationally, which most Elites do not). It creates a pressure cooker situation that most certainly isn't for everyone. But either way -- it is not okay to treat anyone in the way McKayla describes. I think that is pretty obvious.
I totally understand what you're saying. My DD goes to a gym with active elites too, and honestly, aside from one of them who is international Elite (I only know this because I've seen her compete on TV) and one Junior Elite (I've confirmed thanks to a thread here on CB) It would be impossible to really know which are Elite and which are L10 because they all train together and hang out together, and they're allowed to all be teenagers and have fun together.
I totally agree there's a way to coach and a way not to coach, and I think McKayla did a great job describing the latter.
She still totally appreciates what her coaches did for her career while at the same time pointing out the hardships she had to experience, and did a very good job differentiating the two.

The injuries she's endured are remarkable, did they think this was all normal and appropriate?

Were her injuries really remarkable? I look around and it seems most level 10 / college athletes have had similar things. For example, Sophina from UCLA (of recent internet fame) broke her back. Ohashi just fractured her sternum. My daughter has dislocated her elbow and fractured her foot. I've also personally seen broken tibia, stress fractured backs, torn achilles, and dislocated knees. Not to mention "minor" issues like broken fingers and sprained ankles.

I don't think these injuries are appropriate, but unfortunately, I do think they are normal for the sport. Meaning, the norm. Or do I exist in a particularly injury prone region?

Far Too many parents are everywhere with Stars in their eyes. There is so much talk about this. I too don't think if the child is abused emotionally or physically that it is merely the coaches fault. I'm sorry but sending your kid to compete while seriously injured? What was wrong with her parents? Those stars got in the way.
I think we all underestimate the ability of a gymnast to hide injuries. They are very good at doing it, especially at the upper levels. They get to the point where their pain tolerance doesn't match typical people and they can no longer reliably tell you how much it hurts and whether what hurts is normal hurting or extreme. A perfect example is anyone who has needed to get glasses for distance but has put it off far too long. When they finally get them (or contacts) they really just how bad their eyesight really was. When these gymnasts are in the midst of training, they have a skewed perspective, but when they stop and rest, they realize just how much they are hurting. pressure certainly plays a part too - if I can just make it to the off season then I can rest. It's not that bad. I can handle it. I have one of those gymnasts who hides injuries. I ask her after every.single.practice how things are feeling, what she did that day b/c that helps me to look for things that she could be hiding. And still she hides injuries from me. There is only so much I can do - unless I sit there and actually watch her entire practice and watch for signs of injury.

I totally understand what you're saying. My DD goes to a gym with active elites too, and honestly, aside from one of them who is international Elite (I only know this because I've seen her compete on TV) and one Junior Elite (I've confirmed thanks to a thread here on CB) It would be impossible to really know which are Elite and which are L10 because they all train together and hang out together, and they're allowed to all be teenagers and have fun together.
I am not sure you can say the same of the national camps though and the closer you get to the Olympics, the more time these girls spend there and away from their home gyms...

Were her injuries really remarkable? I look around and it seems most level 10 / college athletes have had similar things. For example, Sophina from UCLA (of recent internet fame) broke her back. Ohashi just fractured her sternum. My daughter has dislocated her elbow and fractured her foot. I've also personally seen broken tibia, stress fractured backs, torn achilles, and dislocated knees. Not to mention "minor" issues like broken fingers and sprained ankles.

I don't think these injuries are appropriate, but unfortunately, I do think they are normal for the sport. Meaning, the norm. Or do I exist in a particularly injury prone region?
I agree, they are pretty common but having several at one time and likely because the first wasn't addressed appropriately isn't the norm. It is a dangerous sport. Proper coaching can make it safer but things are always going to happen. A girl can have done a skill a 1000 times proficiently in the gym but something goes wrong one time and she is injured.

She had a condition that put her at risk of losing a limb. Personally, I find that really remarkable, and it makes me question the sanity of it all.

... And on a side note, no wonder gymnasts develop fears.

I am not sure you can say the same of the national camps though and the closer you get to the Olympics, the more time these girls spend there and away from their home gyms...
I was thinking of this too. When people were asking "why didn't her parents do anything about it!?"
I was thinking (without figuring out how to type it) a lot of this happens when the girls are older and training at the camp or other places far from home, so it literally would be impossible for their parents to sense anything at all.

Sort of a random question- there are quite a few former Olympians of recent years that have their own gyms or coach in a gym now (Kim Z. comes to mind). Are they working towards making changes? Do they have the power to make changes? Or are they following suit because it's the system that produces champions, even if they experienced the flaws first hand?

I keep going back to her comment about the food at camp. It seems like a no-brainer that these athletes would be fed high-quality food and that there would be a menu designed by a sports nutritionist. But then you think about the reality of getting this change implemented and it makes sense. Getting invited to camp is a huge privilege. What parent, coach or gymnast is going to make a thing out of the food, of all things? They are going to be appreciative of the opportunity to be there, and not worry too much about the food. Still, someone should step up and get better food in there, if for no other reason than it makes good sense for the performance and health of the athletes, with almost no downside other than perhaps cost. Perhaps Simone or her coach could do it.....

On CB parents always advocate sending snacks with gymnasts going down for Tops and other advanced camps. Coaches also plan grocery store stops before arrival.

Reactions: sce
I think that everyone (or almost everyone) involved in this sport know how it goes. It is obvious that it gets though at the top. I don't know a single athlete who has not had similar issues like Maroney. I do think there are differences, but in the end it is pressure, pain, exhaustion and more pressure.

To be an athlete at this level, it requires a very special kind of person. Your sport is your addiction, you are so focused and driven it seems unreal. You must be so hard on yourself, so disciplined, etc.

Gymnastics as a "normal" sport is great for girls in all ways. But being Elite is so much harder and everyone knows what comes with it.
It is like that in almost every Elite sport.
People have similar experiences in a lot of sports (pressure from coach, eating disorders, doping etc) but the bad thing with gymnastics is that the girls are so young. I think that most people who are in similar situation often do not really realize what they are doing because they are so focused. In that very moment, they only see their sport, their chance, their victory, but they forget what comes after.
But the girls often do not even have a choice. They love gymnastics obviously, but they might also be happy with being a normal L8, not being pushed so hard.

Look at those moms posting Instagram videos of their 4 years olds doing backhandsprings and practicing at home. I think this is so questionable!

However, that is what Elite sport is like. Maroney did not get abused or anything, it was just a lot of pressure and she didn't speak up because she wanted it so bad or she was "made" wanting it, no matter what.
This is the dangerous part IMO, the kids don't get a choice. If they are good and burn for gymnastics, they are made into products. They can always quit, but very few will (only if they are serious injured) because of the expectations people have.

I don't know if she would still be an Olympic gymnast if the coaches had treated her differently, she had more breaks etc. maybe, maybe not.

just my 2 cents.

still a great interview and I wish her all the best!

I keep going back to her comment about the food at camp. It seems like a no-brainer that these athletes would be fed high-quality food and that there would be a menu designed by a sports nutritionist. But then you think about the reality of getting this change implemented and it makes sense. Getting invited to camp is a huge privilege. What parent, coach or gymnast is going to make a thing out of the food, of all things? They are going to be appreciative of the opportunity to be there, and not worry too much about the food. Still, someone should step up and get better food in there, if for no other reason than it makes good sense for the performance and health of the athletes, with almost no downside other than perhaps cost. Perhaps Simone or her coach could do it.....

I have heard that there is no nutritionist at camp, and that the food is far from what you would expect in an elite training facility. Also served on paper plates etc etc. Here is a USAG photo from the cafeteria.

https://www.facebook.com/USAGymnast...1456580782./10152839574047168/?type=3&theater

On another forum there was a very amusing thread about the meals at Nat Team camps. I was always surprised at the stuff they were served.

I can't even imagine......I am constantly struggling with the functional nutrition aspect of this sport......it is a CONSTANT......certain foods for certain seasons, for certain ailments, during times of growth spurts........in sickness and in health.......
I can't believe there in no special nutrition department in all USAG training camps..........
(Plus, I wish there was a rule I all USAG registered clubs, no garbage in your vending machine!)

We have lots of parents whose kids go to TOPs, DIC and Dev Camps, we should ask them what the food is like.

@GYM0M @LemonLime @Mama Duck I know there are lots more, but those sprang to mind.

My daughter is not a fan of the food and always stops at the Kroger on the way to camp and buys cheese, fruit, veggies, dip and snack bars. I have heard that the woman preparing the food is actually a nutritionist (but I can't confirm), however, I have not heard of anyone that actually likes the food. It is very bland and while I think they do offer what is probably considered "balanced" meals, my daughter says everything tastes "boiled". She usually only eats the salad and veggies. She doesn't even like the pasta they serve! On the last day of camp they always put out a selection of lunch meats and cheese with bakery rolls. That is the one thing she does like. I have had it myself and it is quite good.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back